Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Faith: Quality, not Quantity Part. 1

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
-Faith: Quality, Not Quantity-

What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see.” +Hebrews 11:1+

Faith is the foundational element of our life in Christ that dictates our ability to receive of God; not simply salvation, but providence, favor, and power. We are told in Hebrews 10 & 11 a lot about faith, as well as it's critical impact in our walks with God, in Christ. Some believers mistakenly believe faith is an action, a work, an expression; but this is not true. Faith is an attitude, a perspective, and a direction/intention of the heart; not simply the deeds our faith reflects. We do well to look beyond the apparent fruit of faith, and instead look at the original root of faith. In this matter, the fruit can be deceiving; while ensuring the proper root of our faith will always ensure productive fruit.

Some may point to James 2:14-26 implying that, “since faith without works is dead,” faith is based in works; yet this is a misconception. Godly works and spiritual fruit may be a reflection of our faith; but it is the faith that allows the works, not the works which allow the faith. While faith can be directed as an “expression,” it is an intangible concept that simply cannot be limited to an action or series of actions. What causes one to flip a light switch on when they enter a dark room? It isn't the finger used, and it is not the end result; it is the faith that if we flip the switch, the light will turn on and shine. If we didn't have faith in the response we would have no cause to commit to the action in question whatever it may be.

Faith is like our “switch,” that opens the door for God to move and minister to us and through us in our lives. Without that switch, we would have no way to inspire or invoke a response from our Father in heaven. All to often we equivocate our actions, deeds, and “righteousness,” as the catalyst to the movement of God; however this is a greatly misguided perception. There is nothing we can do as far as an action that will open the door to providence; the only route to receiving anything of God is by faith.

But when you ask Him, be sure that you really expect Him to answer, for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed about by the wind. People like that should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.” +James 1:6&7+

There is a commonly used and widely known worldly phrase that applies directly to the idea of faith, which says, “The power to believe is the power to achieve.” Faith is much the same: our ability to receive of God is in direct proportion to our ability to have faith in His ability, and willingness to trust that He can do what we ask. If we doubt His ability we will not likely receive what we ask, because the trust is result based rather than faith based. If we doubt the response based on His character, we similarly impede the return on our petitions as we send them up to heaven. We must be able to trust completely in both His ability and willingness to provide the things we ask of Him.

It is written that “Faith comes by hearing the Word of the Lord,” and it is by seeking God we build our faith for several reasons. First, if we know enough about God's character and will, we have a much better chance that the prayers we send up are in accordance to His will. Second, if we know what God's specific promises are, we can be certain that we will receive a response when we claim these promises in Jesus' name. We are told in Isaiah 55:10-13 that God's Word cannot come back empty, but will accomplish the purpose it was meant to. Due to God's nature, He has no choice but to be accountable to Himself and His Word; so when we ask according to what He has stated, the reaction is guaranteed.

Third; because of God having a loving, sincere, honest, graceful and patient fatherly nature, it is His desire to care for His children. How many times did we as children run directly to mom or dad when we were scared, hurt or confused? We ran to them because we had faith that they would solve the problem, comfort us, and make things better. Why? Simply because we trusted their love for us, their willingness to care for us, and their ability to resolve whatever issue confronted us. This is the same dynamic we have with our Father in heaven, and we can employ this concept towards our faith. I would like to offer clarification here: this is not a promotion of the idea we should not mature in the area of faith, but an illustration of proper quality of faith; of proper direction. We can still have this type of "sold-out," and reverent faith as mature believers; but it will take a more intentional and dedicated approach as we apply that faith in our lives. Let us not allow our maturity to "over-think," things, but let us not lose sight of the idea of faith as being trust-based even when we don't fully understand or see what is occurring.

If we are unfaithful, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.” +2 Tim. 2:13+

The direction and object of our faith is paramount, as misdirected or misguided faith is a vain faith entirely. Think about it; we as humans are a weak and frail race, prone to errors in judgment, inconsistency, and dishonesty. On the other hand, God is flawless in judgment, remains faithful regardless of who we are or how we are. If we place our faith in self, will we not be disappointed at some stage as we let ourselves down? If we have faith in others, what happens if those others are no longer there? If we have faith in our finances, what happens if the economy collapses; taking all our money with it? Regardless what the object is, it will be an epic failure eventually, when we place our faith in any besides God Himself.

I must admit that I have had my fair share of struggles with pride and vanity over the years. From time to time I have both consciously and unconsciously veered towards faith in self when things started showing potential for success. It is very easy to fall prey to the idea that periods of abundance and prosperity are results of our own hard work and efforts. While there is some functional truth to the idea that hard work and diligence contribute to our worldly success; we must remember that is neither the only, nor primary factor. Anything we undertake that reaps a positive result is something that is blessed and favored of God, and we wouldn't have the life we lead or the opportunities we find if not for Him in the first place. We do well to keep in proper perspective the idea that our success and abundance are gifts from above not applause for our own efforts.

One of the more widely used terms within the Christian faith is “Victorious Faith,” but it is an item that is also somewhat misconstrued. We have developed the general idea that victorious faith is only victorious if a person's life reflects a sinless, struggle-free life which is completely without any flaw or error. This is very deceptive and is a danger to both those perpetuating the idea, and those who are having the ideology presented to them. This threatens to return the focus back to legalistic principles rather than keeping the perspective driven towards a life of righteousness through grace; by faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

Last edited:
Some may point to James 2:14-26 implying that, “since faith without works is dead,” faith is based in works; yet this is a misconception. Godly works and spiritual fruit may be a reflection of our faith; but it is the faith that allows the works, not the works which allow the faith.
God's not going to judge anyone according to his "faith."
He's going to judge everyone according to his works.
Those who have good works will receive eternal life.
Those who do not have good works will receive eternal condemnation in the hell prepared for the devil and his angels.
John 5:28-29; Ro 6:2-10; Mat 25:31-46

When someone preaches that works are not necessary for salvation, he identifies himself as a liar and a heretic.
When someone preaches that good works are just the automatic result of believing, he's not in touch with reality.
Just as when we were sinners we got really good at sin because that is what we practiced, so as believers, we need to practice good works so that we get really good at them.
It requires effort on our part, and the help of the Holy Spirit, to replace an evil, sinful manner of life with a holy, obedient way of life. A very large part of the letters of the NT is dedicated to encouraging, admonishing, and instruction people to do the works which glorify God. Anyone who says it isn't important is not telling the truth. (Whether intentionally or not, I cannot know. God knows.)

"...a man is justified by works, and not by faith only." James 2:24. (NKJV)
That means, without works a man will not be justified.
And, if anyone is not justified, neither is he saved.

That's what the scripture says.
And that's what it "really" means.

iakov the fool

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. Enjoy the rest of your life here and now and in the age to come.

Last edited:
JIM you are more than welcome to believe aa lie if you so choose. Personally, I will elect to trust in Christ's own words that state a man is justified by faith. I will trust in Pauls words that say a man is justified by faith. I will trust in more than 15 other verses that say a man is justified by faith not works. You can feel free to bend and distort the single verse to deceive yourself all you like man. That is your right. You misappropriate the word of God and ignore the work "only" in your own single verse used out of context...LOL. Children these days.

JIM you are more than welcome to believe aa lie if you so choose. Personally, I will elect to trust in Christ's own words
Here are Christ's own words. (Which, by the way, YOU called a lie.)

John 5:28-29 (NKJV)… the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—
those who have done good, to the resurrection of life,
and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

Mat 25:34, 40 (NKJV) “Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:.......‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.

Mat 25:4,45-46 (NKJV) “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: .......‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

According to Jesus, His judgment of eternal life or eternal condemnation will be based on what each person did or did not do.

Paul said the exact same thing:

Ro 6:2-10 (NKJV) (God) will render to each one according to his deeds;
eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—
indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil
of the Jew first and also of the Greek;
but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Maybe you should actually read the scriptures before you claim they're a pack of lies.

You have a nice day. :wave

Back