Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Faith

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Faith and its place in the Christian's life is both essential and undeniable. Because of these realities it is possible that from time to time Christians can become lax when evaluating the means by which their faith can and should be acquired.

A point in mind has to do with matters where the scriptures are not clear in making a stance or declaration, yet varying sets of believers have strong opposing viewpoints pertaining to the "grey area" and their faith in those views is just as strong as their faith in what is written. In discussing topics like baptism, end times, denominations, etc, what I have come to realize is that whether we realize it or not, our faith is moreso in our own current understanding than almost anything else with the other things being our churches or the leaders of them, popular opinion, and family/cultural traditions.

What do we know about what our faith is based upon and why is this knowledge vitally important?

Faith and its place in the Christian's life is both essential and undeniable. Because of these realities it is possible that from time to time Christians can become lax when evaluating the means by which their faith can and should be acquired.

What do we know about what our faith is based upon and why is this knowledge vitally important?

All men do not have faith (2 Thes. 3:2.)
Faith is a gift
given to God's elect (Titus 1:1); His Sheep (John 10:26).

And it's impossible for any person to acquire his own faith to believe in Christ,
for that kind of teaching is based on the work of what man does, and such can never please God:

Rom. 8:7-8 - Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

The faith that pleases God, is given by Him in the New Birth to all those Christ died for.

It's a revealing of the Righteousness of Christ imputed to them. They are given a profound trust in the work of Christ on their behalf in their renewed mind. This kind of faith is the fruit and a gift of the Spirit
(Gal. 5:22; Eph. 2:8).

All those who have the faith to believe on Christ as a result of salvation, it's because it has been granted/given to them (Phil. 1:29), because Christ's Blood was shed for them!

TGBTG!

Faith is a gift given to God's elect (Titus 1:1); His Sheep (John 10:26).

And it's impossible for any person to acquire his own faith to believe in Christ,
for that kind of teaching is based on the work of what man does, and such can never please God:

Rom. 8:7-8 - Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

The faith that pleases God, is given by Him in the New Birth to all those Christ died for.

It's a revealing of the Righteousness of Christ imputed to them. They are given a profound trust in the work of Christ on their behalf in their renewed mind. This kind of faith is the fruit and a gift of the Spirit

All those who have the faith to believe on Christ as a result of salvation, it's because it has been granted/given to them (Phil. 1:29), because Christ's Blood was shed for them!

TGBTG!

So you're saying the god you believe in is both a respector of persons as well as an unfair judge that has stacked the deck against the "damned" by creating and endueing many of his creations with a flawed nature incapable of doing what is pleasing to this god of your mind's inclination?
It does not sound like this god you speak of is very Godly as it relates to what the Bible says about God being just, merciful, loving, holy, righteous, etc.

We as humans have only to seek a lovely relationship with our Creator to know that He is just, merciful, loving, holy, righteous, etc.
If we insist that we are so special that we can question Him, then we end up with nothing.
I would rather humble myself to God than go without.

God provides us all with a measure of faith that allows us to seek Him and know Him.

Romans 12:3;

Faith is a gift given to God's elect (Titus 1:1); His Sheep (John 10:26).

TGBTG!

Good post.

Yes, what you say is a fair representation of what Ephesians 2 says about faith, I reckon.

Blessings.

So you're saying the god you believe in is both a respector of persons as well as an unfair judge that has stacked the deck against the "damned" by creating and endueing many of his creations with a flawed nature incapable of doing what is pleasing to this god of your mind's inclination?
It does not sound like this god you speak of is very Godly as it relates to what the Bible says about God being just, merciful, loving, holy, righteous, etc.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Word of God is likened to a two-edged sword (Rev. 1:16; Eph. 6:17).

The Gospel has to two-fold purpose: either confirming life to life, or death to death (2 Cor. 2:15-17).
Now for those whom God has made spiritually alive by His Grace, evidenced by the faith revealed to them in the New Birth, the Gospel is life unto them!

But if a person is not one whom God has chosen to receive eternal life (Eph. 1:4-11) the Gospel produces unbelief and hardness of heart. And this is all according to God's predetermined purpose (2 Tim. 1:9).

Isaiah 55:8-11 - For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith Jehovah.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 46:8-10; Jer. 9:23-24)

TGBTG!

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1 I believe faith is what allows the holy spirit to live within us. Without the spirit within us, to guide us and help us we are blind spiritually. I believe our faith will be our eyes in heaven.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The Word of God is likened to a two-edged sword (Rev. 1:16; Eph. 6:17).

The Gospel has to two-fold purpose: either confirming life to life, or death to death (2 Cor. 2:15-17).
Now for those whom God has made spiritually alive by His Grace, evidenced by the faith revealed to them in the New Birth, the Gospel is life unto them!

But if a person is not one whom God has chosen to receive eternal life (Eph. 1:4-11) the Gospel produces unbelief and hardness of heart. And this is all according to God's predetermined purpose (2 Tim. 1:9).

Isaiah 55:8-11 - For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith Jehovah.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 46:8-10; Jer. 9:23-24)

TGBTG!

Good post! we need to get out beliefs from the Bible, not from 18th century politicians with their notions of 'rights' and 'equality'.

Blessings.

We as humans have only to seek a lovely relationship with our Creator to know that He is just, merciful, loving, holy, righteous, etc.
If we insist that we are so special that we can question Him, then we end up with nothing.
I would rather humble myself to God than go without.

God provides us all with a measure of faith that allows us to seek Him and know Him.

Romans 12:3;

The Lord Jesus Himself 'humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross' (Philippians 2). I reckon there is no excuse for us not to humble ourselves, too. Blessings.

Paul addressing the brethren, the Body of Christ:

Rom. 12:3 - For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

That statement is true only if it is referring to "all" of God's elect:
because every elect man is made righteous by the death of Christ, he has a measure of faith;
and they are the ones that seek God; but not the wicked:

2 Thes. 3:1-2 - Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified,
even as it is with you: And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men:
for all men have not faith.

Romans 3:11-12 - There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that
doeth good
, no, not one.

The only god the natural man seeks is the god of his own understanding; not the True God.

Remember that faith is a gift and a fruit of the Holy Spirit; it is the evidence of the New Birth.
The natural man does not have the Holy Spirit. So, only once a man is spiritually reborn can he seek God
in a way that is pleasing to God. (Rom. 8:7-8)

The word "seeketh" is ekzēteō, means to to seek out for one's self, beg, crave.
This kind of earnest desire to know God is only possible for one who has been given a new nature in the New Birth. They are the ones described in Mat. 5:6 - Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. (Heb. 13:10)

TGBTG!

It is true that all wicked men have not faith.
When Paul was Saul he had not faith either.

1 Timothy 1:14;
"The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus".

We see here that Paul was given grace, faith, and love before he was born again.

Paul addressing the brethren, the Body of Christ:

Rom. 12:3 - For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

That statement is true only if it is referring to "all" of God's elect:
because every elect man is made righteous by the death of Christ, he has a measure of faith;
and they are the ones that seek God; but not the wicked:

2 Thes. 3:1-2 - Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified,
even as it is with you: And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men:
for all men have not faith.

Romans 3:11-12 - There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that
doeth good
, no, not one.

The only god the natural man seeks is the god of his own understanding; not the True God.

Remember that faith is a gift and a fruit of the Holy Spirit; it is the evidence of the New Birth.
The natural man does not have the Holy Spirit. So, only once a man is spiritually reborn can he seek God
in a way that is pleasing to God. (Rom. 8:7-8)

The word "seeketh" is ekzēteō, means to to seek out for one's self, beg, crave.
This kind of earnest desire to know God is only possible for one who has been given a new nature in the New Birth. They are the ones described in Mat. 5:6 - Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. (Heb. 13:10)

TGBTG!

Clearly Scripture acknowledges the sharp distinction between those who believe and those who do not.

There needs to be a work of the Holy Spirit in the sinner's heart if s/he is to be converted to Christ.

Blessings.

It seems that question pertaining to the means by which faith in a particular belief can and should be acquired is still being glossed over.

Not sure what you mean.

Ephesians 2 is a good guide to what faith is, in any case.

As is Hebrews 11 ('By faith', 'By faith'.. etc.).

This thread was not written to ask what the definition of faith is. It was construction so that we can toss around how to best identify what beliefs we should place our faith in. So the question is asking for people to share their methods or ideas as it relates to what they believe is the way to go about acquiring confidence in a particular doctrine or belief system.

This thread was not written to ask what the definition of faith is. It was construction so that we can toss around how to best identify what beliefs we should place our faith in. So the question is asking for people to share their methods or ideas as it relates to what they believe is the way to go about acquiring confidence in a particular doctrine or belief system.

It's good to focus the abstract aspects of faith to the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ as the object of faith.

How can we be told that we are to have "child-like faith" if it is defined in such a manner that a child can not grasp it. Faith is belief. It is trust.

Will the sun come up tomorrow? How do you know? It is because of the goodness of God. He makes the sun to shine on good and evil alike. You trust His goodness (no matter if you openly admit it or not) because you believe.

~Sparrow

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back