Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Favorite childhood book?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
"Rikki Tikki Tembo" was my favorite book, and my children love to listen to it on tape while following along (So do I). The book has not been revised, and still looks the same as when I was a child. I love the illustrations. I was facinated with anything Chinese in my primary years, because my first day of kindergarden, I met a Chinese American girl, and I thought she was the most beautiful person I had ever seen...she looked like a porcelin doll. Black shiny hair cut in that blunt style with bangs, slipper shoes and always in beautiful chinese style shirts. I was crying because my dad left, and the teacher took me to the front of the line and let me carry her clipboard as we went into the school. We sat down on a big rug once we got to the room, and she scooted over by me and hugged me. After that, I always wanted to sit by her, and I just loved her...I wanted to be beautiful like her. In third grade, I painted her (bonnie) with a hat like the man wore in that book working in a garden full of flowers. I won a shool contest, and my painting was displayed at the St. Louis Art Museum for a weekend along with others who had won at their schools as well. I know, long story for such a little book.

lovely said:
"Rikki Tikki Tembo" was my favorite book, and my children love to listen to it on tape while following along (So do I). The book has not been revised, and still looks the same as when I was a child. I love the illustrations. I was facinated with anything Chinese in my primary years, because my first day of kindergarden, I met a Chinese American girl, and I thought she was the most beautiful person I had ever seen...she looked like a porcelin doll. Black shiny hair cut in that blunt style with bangs, slipper shoes and always in beautiful chinese style shirts. I was crying because my dad left, and the teacher took me to the front of the line and let me carry her clipboard as we went into the school. We sat down on a big rug once we got to the room, and she scooted over by me and hugged me. After that, I always wanted to sit by her, and I just loved her...I wanted to be beautiful like her. In third grade, I painted her (bonnie) with a hat like the man wore in that book working in a garden full of flowers. I won a shool contest, and my painting was displayed at the St. Louis Art Museum for a weekend along with others who had won at their schools as well. I know, long story for such a little book.
is that rikki tikki tembo the one with the mongoonse and cobra? it sound close to rikki tikki tavi.

jason

JoJo said:
Kyle said:
Where the Wild Things Are

I can't quite explain why I like it so much, it's just a wonderful book. :yes

Will you catch the movie?

I'm not sure, but it would be interesting to see how they adapted a ten page book into an hour or so movie.

What a great topic! I lived way out in the middle of nowhere when I was a kid too, so books were my best friends.

I read all the Happy Hollister books, Peggy Parrish's trilogy of "Key to the Treasure", "Clues in the Woods", and "The Haunted House", the Dr. Suess books, of course, and one of my all time favorites is a rather haunting book by Clyde Robert Bulla called "The Moon Singer".

We moved a lot when I was a kid and in one move we had to store a lot of our things. My mom packed all of my books in a big box to put in storage. Well, something happened, and the box with all my books in it got wet and the books were ruined. So, as an adult, I've searched through used book stores, Library book sales and on ebay and am slowly replacing the books that I lost.

That's one thing I love about ebay. You can find things from your childhood, stuff that other people kept and are now selling. Sometimes I like to look through ebay at retro toys just to look at the stuff I used to play with. So fun!

jasoncran said:
lovely said:
is that rikki tikki tembo the one with the mongoonse and cobra? it sound close to rikki tikki tavi.

jason

No, Jason, it's the name of the book. :biggrin Rikki Tikki Tavi is a story in, 'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling.

My favorite childhood book would probably be Winnie The Pooh.

I can remember when my mother would read it at bedtime, to my brothers and I. Those were some great days.

I think I will give her a call and tell her I remember those nights, and thank her for them. I'll let her know that I do the same thing with my children because of what she did for us.

Thanks for reminding me. ;)

lovely said:
jasoncran said:
lovely said:

jason

No, Jason, it's the name of the book. :biggrin Rikki Tikki Tavi is a story in, 'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling.
thanks i forgot the kipling did that as well, btw the mongoose does kill cobras and are impervious to their poison. the little dance that they do. the ferret does it as well, i've seen one do it. of course it was mad when it did that.

Back