Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Favorite Non-Christian genre

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
prog rock (like 70s prog rock)
70's pop (like Styx, Abba, Reo Speedwagon, Journey, etc)
whatever Phil Collins is lol
polka
whatever Fleetwood Mac is

:lol Phil is a genre of his own. He was progressive early on w/ Genesis; he went more mainstream as he got older.

Styx and Journey were both very progressive in the early days, as was Kansas.

The Mac actually started out as a English Blues band but went more pop/rock as old members left and new ones came in.

Here's a six degrees (or less) of separation fact linking England's Fleetwood Mac and the Bay Area's Journey (and Santana).

Fleetwood Mac originally recorded "Black Magic Woman". It was written by their then guitarist, Peter Green. It was made famous by Santana and sung by Santana's keyboard player, Greg Rolie, who later became a founding member of... Journey! :biggrin

I saw Fleetwood Mac and Genesis live-I was surprised how awesome they both were!

I never saw the Mac, but I did see Stevie Nicks many years ago. I saw Phil with Genesis after Peter Gabriel left. I also saw him solo and as the drummer for a Robert Plant tour.

I attend Christian concerts mostly, but I do go to see the Allman Brothers whenever they are in NYC, which is every spring. They do 12-15 shows at a place called the Beacon Theater.

Check out the guest list at their Beacon shows here:

http://www.moogis.com/latest/guest-appe ... eacon.html

any of the christian music I ever listened to is like over 50 years old lol
weird obscure things I find in record bins at thrift stores

There are thousands of musicians and singers, who were kicked around by managers and record companies, many died with out a penny. And a whole lot of money was stolen from them. They use to get them to sign contracts, that they did not understand, or a contract where the manager or record company got most of the money. And they would draw them in, by telling them, that we are going to make you a star. And because most of these people were poor, they fell for it hook line and sinker.

yep-tragic, I am band leader, and president of the record company, cover designer, and any other title I can have by owning a little record company lol
too much risk in "a chance" to fame-a lot of bad stuff there too
my face won't ever be on the side of a bus, but I think I am better off without that then with it lol

I just had a thought about the title of this thread - Christian music can be any genre, as can non-Christian music. I know of Christian thrash metal bands and other Christian bands that cover all genres. Hmmm... :chin

Heavy Metal
Hard Rock
Instrumental Metal
Blues Rock/Rock N' Roll

I've also recently been experimenting with:
Jazz Fusion
Bebop
Blues

kenan said:
Heavy Metal
Hard Rock
Instrumental Metal
Blues Rock/Rock N' Roll

I've also recently been experimenting with:
Jazz Fusion
Bebop
Blues
love jazz fusion - you should check out some Earthworks and Bill Bruford. :thumb

Nick! You like Billy Bruford? :thumbsup You should pick up The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge by YES. Great drumming... great everything! The title track for Close to the edge is a killer. Great drums, bass, vocals (and some of the most profound lyrics ever) and great keyboards and guitar. It's an 18:44 song so it's not for the lighthearted. :lol

In the middle movement of the song, a part called "I get up, I get down", there is a line that says:

In charge of who is there in charge of me.
Do I look on blindly and say I see the way?
The Truth is written all along the page;
How old will I be when I come of age...
For You.

:amen

Vic C. said:
Nick! You like Billy Bruford? :thumbsup You should pick up The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge by YES. Great drumming... great everything! The title track for Close to the edge is a killer. Great drums, bass, vocals (and some of the most profound lyrics ever) and great keyboards and guitar. It's an 18:44 song so it's not for the lighthearted. :lol

In the middle movement of the song, a part called "I get up, I get down", there is a line that says:

In charge of who is there in charge of me.
Do I look on blindly and say I see the way?
The Truth is written all along the page;
How old will I be when I come of age...
For You.

:amen
I like Yes, and have got those albums. :thumb.

Those lyrics, from a Christian perspective, perhaps? Is Jon Anderson (I presume he wronte those lyrics) a Christian? :chin

I would say both Chris Squire and Jon Anderson are or were Orthodox. It's been a while since I read the Yes biography, but they either went to a Catholic or Church of England school. Their lyrics were filled with obscure spiritual lyrics.

This is from a song called, The Gates of Delirium, which I believe is about the Great Battle of Armageddon:

Soon oh soon the light
Pass within and soothe this endless night
And wait here for you
Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the time
All we move to gain will reach and calm
Our heart is open
Our reason to be here

Long ago, set into rhyme

Soon oh soon the light
Ours to shape for all time, ours the right
The sun will lead us
Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the light
The sun will lead us
Our reason to be here

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/y/yes/the+ga ... 48489.html

Country! King George, Miranda, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, Blake Shelton, Dierks Bently, Billy Currington.

Vic C. said:
I would say both Chris Squire and Jon Anderson are or were Orthodox. It's been a while since I read the Yes biography, but they either went to a Catholic or Church of England school. Their lyrics were filled with obscure spiritual lyrics.

This is from a song called, The Gates of Delirium, which I believe is about the Great Battle of Armageddon:

Soon oh soon the light
Pass within and soothe this endless night
And wait here for you
Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the time
All we move to gain will reach and calm
Our heart is open
Our reason to be here

Long ago, set into rhyme

Soon oh soon the light
The sun will lead us
Our reason to be here

Soon oh soon the light
The sun will lead us
Our reason to be here

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/y/yes/the+ga ... 48489.html

Hey fellas! I'm a big Yes fan from way back. I was really convinced that the Christian themes were there, but as I looked into it deeper, read biographies and heard interviews I came to learn that the gospel is not there :sad , just fragments mixed with other religious teachings. I still love their music, saw them 4 times within the past two years (Anderson & R. Wakeman are not currently touring with them though).

Jon has embraced a new age sort of view that is somewhat open-ended but focusses a lot on love (God is love, music is love, music is God, etc.). I think Squire would prefer to sing about cars & girls (and aliens). Jon's Three Ships is still a pretty nice Christmas album.

Bruford is flat out my favorite drummer, and Squire, Howe & R. Wakeman are amazing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back