Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Floaters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Floaters are nothing to worry about, If, however, it seems like a window shade is being drawn across your eyes, RUN (do not walk) to the doctor. This is bad news.

Eyes are weird... where most see =======================
my eyes see this ~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~
That is also what is wrong with Glen Becks eyes.. a form of macular dystrophy
and lookout :eek2 i still drive.. According to the eye doc our brains do their best to over come such things...

Eyes are weird... where most see =======================
my eyes see this ~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~
That is also what is wrong with Glen Becks eyes.. a form of macular dystrophy
and lookout :eek2 i still drive.. According to the eye doc our brains do their best to over come such things...

Oh, a double whammy.

Posterior vitreous detachment is quite common especially as we age (I had this happen to my right eye in the last year) and as the shrinking vitreous tugs and detaches it can cause "flashes" to the side of the eye. This eventually leads to a sudden onset of floaters which by themselves are nothing to worry about. However, in something like 1/100 people, this tugging can make a retinal tear and that in turn can cause retinal detachment. PVD happens sooner in people like me who is near-sighted in the one eye; the other eye did not happen yet but it's not that near-sighted at 20-30 (vs 20-200). Typically people get it when they are about 60 or older. I was 55 and always had floaters in that eye -- it's just that I got a few flashes and more floaters. But then again, I'm the type of person entertained by floaters so I'm glad I have new ones to look at. :lol

Posterior vitreous detachment is quite common especially as we age (I had this happen to my right eye in the last year) and as the shrinking vitreous tugs and detaches it can cause "flashes" to the side of the eye. This eventually leads to a sudden onset of floaters which by themselves are nothing to worry about. However, in something like 1/100 people, this tugging can make a retinal tear and that in turn can cause retinal detachment. PVD happens sooner in people like me who is near-sighted in the one eye; the other eye did not happen yet but it's not that near-sighted at 20-30 (vs 20-200). Typically people get it when they are about 60 or older. I was 55 and always had floaters in that eye -- it's just that I got a few flashes and more floaters. But then again, I'm the type of person entertained by floaters so I'm glad I have new ones to look at. :lol

Could this be why my doc said don't worry, because I'm far sighted?

Could this be why my doc said don't worry, because I'm far sighted?
Probably. You do not need to worry. Think of floaters as just dirty eye fluid (proteins) that cast shadows is what you are seeing -- no different than your computer screen having spots from the fizzy soda nearby with bubbles that hits the screen -- but that does not mean the monitor is going bad.

It's like Willie says, you only need to worry if you get that "curtain effect" but for the most part that occurs just weeks after the PVD. If you had it awhile, or again, if it just started but you watch it, you should be OK. Usually eye doctors can see if there's something really serious or not.

I suffer from floaters and they are getting worse you all will be calling me Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder soon:crying

Back