Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Forgiveness Once? Don't Be A Dunce!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Y

YehwehPaladin

I posted this topic in a different board and saw that it did pretty well. Just curious if it will do any better here. Are you aware that some denominations believe that you only have to ask for forgiveness once? After that you're supposedly forgiven for all of your future sins as well. I have a problem with this for several reasons.

Ephesians 4:26-27 (NLT)

And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.†Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry,

for anger gives a foothold to the devil.

My first issue is if we are forgiven for all future sins then why would we have to be careful in letting the devil get a foothold? And also remember that Paul was writing this letter to a body of believers who had accepted Christ as their savior. So why would he warn then to not sin? It's impossible to sin if you're already forgiven. Wouldn't he have just said "act like a believer and be careful"?

Hebrews 10:26-27 (NLT)

Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins.

There is only the terrible expectation of God’s judgment and the raging fire that will consume his enemies.

As far as I'm concerned the bible states very clearly that you can sin after you're forgiven, which means you cut yourself off from God. You need to ask for forgiveness again and try not to repeat it! Besides, if we are to treat God as a friend then we owe Him our apologies out of friendship.

well the Lord's prayer says,

"And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us."

and as that's a model of how we should pray, i'd say that asking for forgiveness is not a once-and-for-all request put part of our relationship with God.

LS

What’s up? Just happened to notice this and wondering why you chose to start this thread all over? You already have four pages on this topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30071&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I notice it didn’t go very far the second time around so maybe if someone is interested in this topic, they would do better to go to the link.

Back