Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

found money, what does one do?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What is your definition of "looking hard?" Did you alert authorities of your discovery? If so, I would expect they would provide you with some guidance too.

I agree with WIP as when you turn it in there is a 30 day waiting period or something like that and if no one claims it then it becomes your money. If it's only a couple of dollars then I would not worry about it and as it might seem like a blessing finding it, pay it forward and give it to a charity unless you are in desperate need of it yourself.

If you turn it in, wait the 30 days and they return it to you you mean? If so give 10% as a thithe and consider the rest a blessing. That is what I think would be alright. Unless a person or church has a need that is the amount you found and you are told about it even though the other person doesn't know about what you found. In that case I would give them the money because it is probably meant for them.

A large sum would prompt me to report it. :yes

A small amount, say, $16.00, I would keep it.

A true story:

Several years ago, I made it to the train station, on the way to work, with about five minutes to spare. I went to the ticket vending machine and realized I did not have my wallet! The train was coming and I contemplated my next move. Do I go inside and explain to the ticket agent what had happened and ask to spot a round trip ticket until the next day? Do I get on the train and take my case to the conductor?

:confused.

All of a sudden, the wind blew and blowing my way was a $10, a $5 and a $1. $16.00! I put my foot down on the money so it wouldn't blow past me. (amazingly, the money did not separate itself). I picked it up and looked around to see if anyone was looking around for lost money. I would have gladly given it back if they were.

There was no one around. I had just enough time to buy the ticket and board the train. I got my ticket, had enough money for lunch and still had $2.00 left when I got home. :thumbsup

I chalked it up to Divine intervention and thanked God while on the train headed for work. :pray

It depends.

If it is a small amount then the best you can do is look to see if someone is indeed missing money. Maybe ask people nearby you. You'd be surprised at how honest people are when you ask them such a question when they are off-guard.

If it is a larger sum then you have a LEGAL obligation to turn it into the police. If you do not turn it in and for some reason the police can identify that money as someone elses than you are breaking a law and can be charged with larceny. The laws are not without their means of rewarding you though. If you do turn in that money and at the end of a certain period of time (depends based on local laws) no one has claimed it the money becomes yours. Usually that time period is about seven days (it's almost always the same waiting period a pawn shop must wait before selling something they bought).

Now you may be thinking "How would the cops ever know the money isn't mine?" Well if it is agency money (meaning sting money) than they'd know the serial numbers and they would be red flagged. If you find drug money and they do a drug test on the money (not uncommon on large sums of money) and it shows up as positive then you are possibly facing possession charges.

The question becomes, what is a large sum verses a small sum? To someone that is independently wealthy, nearly any sum would be a small sum. To someone who is homeless and destitute nearly any sum would be a large sum.

Vic...I love stories like that! Yep, I agree, that was divine intervention.

I have to agree with the rest here...do all you need to in order to find the rightful owner, and, if the rightful owner doesn't show up, keep it or give it away as you see fit.

I'm not homeless or destitute, but I have to admit, if I lost a $20 and someone returned it to me, I'd be very grateful.

The question becomes, what is a large sum verses a small sum? To someone that is independently wealthy, nearly any sum would be a small sum. To someone who is homeless and destitute nearly any sum would be a large sum.
It varies from state to state but the average amount that seems to be the difference between a small and a large sum of money is $50.

Personally I'd be hard pressed to envision any DA prosecuting someone for finding $50 on the street and not turning it in. Case wise I have not been able to really find anyone getting hit for this type of law for less than $300. $300 seems to be a "magic" number in our law books as it defines the minimum amount in a lot of laws.

One thing I did find was that in one case the guy claimed to have found four one hundred dollar bills on the street (in a bush actually. Bushes are pretty common places for gangs/drug dealers to stash things when the cops come by). The man took it and proceeded to spend it. The store he went to with the money had a $50 bill or less policy and they rang up the local LEOs when this guy came in flashing four one hundred dollar bills. They took his money and then turned to bills over to the cops. The cops ran the numbers and got nothing. They ran a drug test and hit paydirt. They ended up tracking the man down and finding the remaining two one hundred dollar bills in his glove compartment of his car (a new car mind you). Drug test was positive on each (Meth I believe). They took his car under RICO law. Man was charged with drug possession but he got off because he got for a good defence lawyer who argued that the possession of the drug covered bills should be considered mere possession as he had no means of telling they were covered in drugs. He never got his car back though because RICO law is pretty awesome that way. :LOL

Back