Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

FREE WILL

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So I guess the knot is...
I have not thought I was created in
HIS image but that Adam was.
But that I was born in ADAM'S deformed image....because it says, and then Adam had a son born in his own image and named him Seth.

It has seemed to me tht when people say we were created in HIS image, it gives them warm, gooey....tender feelings for themselves as if there is anything good in them or as if they are special instead of the deformed and crippled beast that I feel I am. (Or was...)
At my salvation experience God came to me with this intense love, I was not yet saved at first and I felt kind of like dog poo in the presense of God,BUT God was pouring so much love on me it completely overcame my sense of worthlessness, I still knew I was a sinner,however I became aware that I was valuable to God simply because I was His creation and He loved me. God loves people even in their sinful condition and extends that love to them so they can accept Jesus as Saviour and be saved.

:lolwelcome to theology 101, its never really simple. you must learn to decide what fits the model with the most logically done with solo scriputura.

you will find out how biased you are in time. elsewhere i have some questions from an anti-calvinist(not on this forum).

Yes! Iy is not simple!
Yes! I have seen I have these biases in me! (I call them knots.)
I think I have them from trying to fit what men keep saying in with what God has said!
It's like...if enough of them say it, I think it must be true. So I try to fit it all together but I cannot because every time I try to, I have to ignore some verses. Do you know what I mean??

It is frustrating. I want to learn what ALL of the verses mean TOGETHER, not to just ignore some of them!

Yes! Iy is not simple!
Yes! I have seen I have these biases in me! (I call them knots.)
I think I have them from trying to fit what men keep saying in with what God has said!
It's like...if enough of them say it, I think it must be true. So I try to fit it all together but I cannot because every time I try to, I have to ignore some verses. Do you know what I mean??

It is frustrating. I want to learn what ALL of the verses mean TOGETHER, not to just ignore some of them!

we arent meant to know all the bibles mysteries. never will. i try not to get too caught up in that but i do.:bigfrown end times and this topic are hot often.

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

We are not created in the same way Adam & Eve were. They were created we are hatched!

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Ah...this explains a lot about Rita.........she was HATCHED!

Yeah, at the end of the day, as long as you have Jesus in your heart it doesn't really matter what's what because God isn't going to refuse you entry into Heaven over bad theology. Heck not even the apostles would have gotten into Heaven if that was the case because even those guys couldn't agree on stuff, and they knew Christ in the flesh!

That's why I don't really bother to defend my beliefs against other Christians, it's just semantics when it's all said and done.

are you a christian, saved?

OHHH!!
I don't even know what it means to "be a christian" anymore!
I have received the Holy Spirit. I will never forget the day!
I ran to the only man who had ever so much as MENTIONED God to me when I was growing up and I told him about the waves that washed over me and the hair of my flesh raising up and what it felt like and I asked him if he knew what I was talking about and he said yes, he did. And I asked him: What IS it? And he said he wasn't sure...just God!

Later I found out it was my Baptism and I wished I had looked in the mirror to see if I could see tongues of fire!

Then, once when I was studying, I found out that "manna" means: What is it?
I laughed so hard!! When I received the TRUE bread from heaven, I asked THE SAME EXACT THING that Israel asked in the desert!! What IS it??!

So I think that most people would label me "christian" because I have the Holy Spirit inside of me. It seems to be ME who balks at the namejust because it doesn't seem to be necessary to HAVE this Baptism in order to win the name....do you know what I mean?

we arent meant to know all the bibles mysteries. never will. i try not to get too caught up in that but i do.:bigfrown end times and this topic are hot often.

I am not convinced of this!
What verses have convinced you we are not allowed to know what all of the bible means?

Yeah, at the end of the day, as long as you have Jesus in your heart it doesn't really matter what's what because God isn't going to refuse you entry into Heaven over bad theology. Heck not even the apostles would have gotten into Heaven if that was the case because even those guys couldn't agree on stuff, and they knew Christ in the flesh!

That's why I don't really bother to defend my beliefs against other Christians, it's just semantics when it's all said and done.

Oh Pard!
Don't you think it is not meant to BE that we argue or defend but instead help each other to grow in more understanding? If we could get past the defending part and HELP each other by saying....I see what you are saying about this verse but..........what about THAT verse? How does IT tie in if what you are saying is correct? If someone can make them mesh seamlessly, I will immediately drop what I thought I believed and will just see that this person has it right and I was mistaken. I WANT to remove my leaven. I don't WANT to defend it and keep it if I am wrong!

What verses have convinced you we are not allowed to know what all of the bible means?

we can.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come.

peace.

At my salvation experience God came to me with this intense love, I was not yet saved at first and I felt kind of like dog poo in the presense of God,BUT God was pouring so much love on me it completely overcame my sense of worthlessness, I still knew I was a sinner,however I became aware that I was valuable to God simply because I was His creation and He loved me. God loves people even in their sinful condition and extends that love to them so they can accept Jesus as Saviour and be saved.

Oh Sam!
You're funny!
Dog poo!
I know what you are saying about His love overcoming that feeling!
It happens this way to me too when He shows me something hideous I have been up to in my heart and that I was trying to hide it behind some fig leaf or another. And I want to be contrite and mourn over my horridness but I don't feel I am contrite enough because I am so happy to SEE what I was hiding that it overcomes anyhting else! It's like trying to show remorse and sit yourself down in ashes while He is tickling you!!!

we can.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come.

peace.

Thank you Rockie! You have helped us!

I am back Pard!
I read the verses you gave me from Romans!
I cannot explain them!
LOLOL

They seem to say I have no excuse for not having seen that He existed for my first 42 years.

And yet, I just didn't see....I didn't.

It has just now reminded me of some verses in Genesis that I will go see if I can find, but for now, I will say that I did see in Romans that it says they KNEW God but refused to acknowledge Him. But there is another verse that says man with all his wisdom could NOT find God.

I'll come back after I find these(takes me a while, dyslexia and all the little numbers in the concordance...ARRGH!)

We must see if we can make BOTH of the verses reveal something to us with His help!

Well, a question then...
By what mechanism or set of laws does God create something from nothing?

I'm not a believer of infinite knowledge in man whether it be an individual or by the collective knowledge of the many.
"not allowed to know"
I don't think it's a matter of being allowed but rather a matter of being able. Heck, we still struggle with Creation, the Trinity, freewill/predestination, not to mention the Resurrection. Besides, Christ said He is the Resurrection. I still haven't gotten my mind around that one. Yes, believing in Him is life though we are dead. That alone tells me we must rely on God's knowledge and not our own.

Then there are His miracles... healing the sick in an instant, raising the dead (in Lazarus's case he was dead for 3 days!), walking on water, the Transfiguration... and on and on.

I believe all things will be revealed once man's spirit is joined forever with Christ shed of the flesh. Right now though, in the flesh, our ability is quite limited if by no other fact than we are separated from God.

Well, a question then...
By what mechanism or set of laws does God create something from nothing?

I'm not a believer of infinite knowledge in man whether it be an individual or by the collective knowledge of the many.
"not allowed to know"
I don't think it's a matter of being allowed but rather a matter of being able. Heck, we still struggle with Creation, the Trinity, freewill/predestination, not to mention the Resurrection. Besides, Christ said He is the Resurrection. I still haven't gotten my mind around that one. Yes, believing in Him is life though we are dead. That alone tells me we must rely on God's knowledge and not our own.

Then there are His miracles... healing the sick in an instant, raising the dead (in Lazarus's case he was dead for 3 days!), walking on water, the Transfiguration... and on and on.

I believe all things will be revealed once man's spirit is joined forever with Christ shed of the flesh. Right now though, in the flesh, our ability is quite limited if by no other fact than we are separated from God.

Hello Potluck-
It is nice to meet you!
I have been reading some of your posts in the different threads!
You believe you are separated from God?
Since I have received the Holy Spirit, I have known that I am NOT separated from Him. He is in me in such a tangible way!
Have you received this Baptism yet?

I was not thinking along the lines of human understanding, like scientifically knowing how He made a donkey talk or how He made a virgin give birth.

I was meaning understanding the spirit of the words. I was saying I was not convinced that He did not want us to understand parts of the bible in THIS way.
I don't think any of the words are meant to remain a mystery in spirit and truth. I am thinking the only thing that hinders me in understanding them is that they are spiritual and I am carnal. Although now I have His Spirit, I am still in the process of dying to my carnal side. It is THAT side that keeps wanting to fight against spirit and truth.

I have gotten myself tied up in some knots regarding "free will."
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts that might help me.

Here is what seems to be my problem:
We are all born blind to God. I was born this way, same as everyone else.

So when I hear someone say to another that they have willfully chosen to reject God, it bothers me.

It is like saying....free will is this good thing that we have within our SELVES and we use it to find God. But there is nothing good in us...

I don't THINK I used free will.....
One day, I just suddenly SAW that He WAS.

I guess I am thinking if there is any such thing as free will, it must only come into play AFTER He has cured our blindness...

Any thoughts or verses?

Free will is simply a choice,to do good,or to do evil,in other word's,whom will you follow,Christ or satan

i have studied the bible for 15 yrs and when i really dig i find something that wasnt there before. i will die and not know it all.

in corthinians paul says for we see in a dark mirror. that implies that we dont have the full revalation of all that God is or the prophecies. just look how off the apostles were when we christ was amongst them! or how some books of the bible dont quite fit in.(revalation).

I am back Pard!
I read the verses you gave me from Romans!
I cannot explain them!
LOLOL

They seem to say I have no excuse for not having seen that He existed for my first 42 years.

And yet, I just didn't see....I didn't.

It has just now reminded me of some verses in Genesis that I will go see if I can find, but for now, I will say that I did see in Romans that it says they KNEW God but refused to acknowledge Him. But there is another verse that says man with all his wisdom could NOT find God.

I'll come back after I find these(takes me a while, dyslexia and all the little numbers in the concordance...ARRGH!)

We must see if we can make BOTH of the verses reveal something to us with His help!
To me it means that our society teaches us to turn from God. Not your fault that you didn't see Him. I didn't until I began to question the scientific stuff they were throwing at me in school, and by that I mean a Christian God, I've always known there was a higher power. Some people have stronger vision, some don't. Who knows why.

We're told (somewhere in the NT) that nature and the world around us speaks to the existence and nature of God. But, we, as humans, largely chose to exchange the truth for a lie and we worshiped/worship idols of our own making (modern secular ideas, paganism, false versions of Christianity, etc.).

Its worth noting that the Bible also tells us that God will blind us to His existence and keep us from repentance. He did it to Pharaoh when the plagues were hitting Egypt, and we're told in the NT that its possible for our conscience to become so seared by sin that we become hardened, incapable of recognizing God, much less of turning to Him.

As a baby Calvinist, the way I've worked it out in my mind (I hope this is scriptural) is this: we're born sinful. Without divine intervention, we get ever more sinful. We have a (sinful) tendency to worship Gods and Ideas of our own making, and we suffer for this. If we're part of the Elect, God will at some point soften us up to His Word (regeneration) and then save us from sin, Satan, and Death (salvation).

We're told (somewhere in the NT) that nature and the world around us speaks to the existence and nature of God. But, we, as humans, largely chose to exchange the truth for a lie and we worshiped/worship idols of our own making (modern secular ideas, paganism, false versions of Christianity, etc.).

Its worth noting that the Bible also tells us that God will blind us to His existence and keep us from repentance. He did it to Pharaoh when the plagues were hitting Egypt, and we're told in the NT that its possible for our conscience to become so seared by sin that we become hardened, incapable of recognizing God, much less of turning to Him.

As a baby Calvinist, the way I've worked it out in my mind (I hope this is scriptural) is this: we're born sinful. Without divine intervention, we get ever more sinful. We have a (sinful) tendency to worship Gods and Ideas of our own making, and we suffer for this. If we're part of the Elect, God will at some point soften us up to His Word (regeneration) and then save us from sin, Satan, and Death (salvation).
To this I would add - Well said.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back