Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Freedom from wordly anxiety

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

golfjack

The result of singleness of mind is freedom from anxiety. The keynote to liberation from worry is this: Seek ye first the kingdom of God.... and all these things shall be added unto you. If day by day we do Hiscwill and cast all our care on Him, then we can have a glorious freedom from anxiety, freedom from fear of want, freedom from fear that we shall not be clothed or fed ( see. Matt. 6:25-34).

These are days when men are seeking material security. Fear of poverty causes them to demand that the government provide for them. And so instead of being dependent on God, men more and more become dependent on the government. Communism makes a man a cog in a machine. One does what the government tells him to do, and the government does his thinking and provides for him even as a jailer provides for the inmates. The welfare state leads in the same direction. These things frustate the divine plan which is that men learn to lean on God and secure His guidance day by day and depend upon Him to care for them. So the Lord would have men to cast all their care upon Him, for He careth for them.

Yet our trust in God is not a passive trust without activity. The birds of the air which Christ spoke about are constantly making provision. Everything they do is done with the view of the future. The winged creature builds her nest, lays her eggss, and nestles above them with the thought of the young birdlets which will presently hattch from the shells. And when this happenss the parents instinctively go iin search of food to satisfy the fledglings' appetites. But everything is done in tranquility in an unconscious fulfillment of the purpose of God.

So it is in the matter of health. How many people have a chronic neurotic condition because they live in a state of continuous morbid anxiety. They are like Martha, troubled about many things; but in their anxiety they miss the most important thing, A complete committal of their lives to God.

Rememberr these words, Sufficient unto the day is evil thereof. There is no purpose in crossing bridges before we come to them.

May God bless, golfjack

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

mutzrein said:
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I love these verses. Gracias :)

If day by day we do Hiscwill and cast all our care on Him, then we can have a glorious freedom from anxiety, freedom from fear of want, freedom from fear that we shall not be clothed or fed

Do you believe that no Christian has ever starved to death?

Gabbylittleangel said:
Psa 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD [is] the death of his saints.

Gabby, I know you think I am just mocking, but I make a valid point I think. Right now there are genuine Christians in Africa, for example, who are starving (and many who have already starved to death) Can you imagine them, those that have bibles, reading that passage where Jesus says not to worry about what they will eat because God provides even for the sparrows? Would you tell them to take comfort in that? Has that promise held true for them?

BradtheImpaler said:
Gabby, I know you think I am just mocking, but I make a valid point I think. Right now there are genuine Christians in Africa, for example, who are starving (and many who have already starved to death) Can you imagine them, those that have bibles, reading that passage where Jesus says not to worry about what they will eat because God provides even for the sparrows? Would you tell them to take comfort in that? Has that promise held true for them?

That is where the Christian learns to practice their faith. God is real. He is active. The part that is hard to understand for people that do not have faith in God, is that God has rules. What to pray, how to pray, how to balance faith and works, what our attitude is supposed to be, reasons why things happen or don't happen. And on and on. Faith has to be practiced. Faith is not blind hope. And God answers prayer.

The promises are for believers.

When Jesus says not to worry about what they will eat because God provides even for the sparrow, take comfort in that. Don't call it a lie. Don't be jealous and envious over the sparrow. Believe it. Then talk to the God that provides even for the sparrow.

When others are concerned for those people, prayer ought to be offered on their behalf. Sitting around wondering why God does not do something is pretty non-productive. If you were a believer, and you prayed for those people, God might cause the following verses to jump off of the pages of Scripture at you.

Pro 24:11-12 Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don't stand back and let them die. Don't try to avoid responsibility by saying you didn't know about it. For God knows all hearts, and he sees you. He keeps watch over your soul, and he knows you knew! And he will judge all people according to what they have done.

As you prayed over those Scriptures, God might reveal to you that He has a mission for you. Or He might tell you to send some financial assistance to someone that has taken on the responsibility.

God has worked miracles in my life. One after the other. The more He does, the easier it is for me to believe. The more I believe, the more He does.

Life is hard. I sure would hate to be starving to death in Africa and be without Jesus...

Very Good Post, Golf Jack; and nice responses GabbyLittleAngel!!!!

Thanks for the great guidence and note of truth.

Gabbylittleangel said:
That is where the Christian learns to practice their faith. God is real. He is active. The part that is hard to understand for people that do not have faith in God, is that God has rules. What to pray, how to pray, how to balance faith and works, what our attitude is supposed to be, reasons why things happen or don't happen. And on and on. Faith has to be practiced. Faith is not blind hope. And God answers prayer.

The promises are for believers.

When Jesus says not to worry about what they will eat because God provides even for the sparrow, take comfort in that. Don't call it a lie. Don't be jealous and envious over the sparrow. Believe it. Then talk to the God that provides even for the sparrow.

When others are concerned for those people, prayer ought to be offered on their behalf. Sitting around wondering why God does not do something is pretty non-productive. If you were a believer, and you prayed for those people, God might cause the following verses to jump off of the pages of Scripture at you.

Pro 24:11-12 Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don't stand back and let them die. Don't try to avoid responsibility by saying you didn't know about it. For God knows all hearts, and he sees you. He keeps watch over your soul, and he knows you knew! And he will judge all people according to what they have done.

As you prayed over those Scriptures, God might reveal to you that He has a mission for you. Or He might tell you to send some financial assistance to someone that has taken on the responsibility.

God has worked miracles in my life. One after the other. The more He does, the easier it is for me to believe. The more I believe, the more He does.

Life is hard. I sure would hate to be starving to death in Africa and be without Jesus...

But Gabby, all you have done here is avoid the immediate point. What if you were starving to death in Africa and you were a Christian? What would that verse mean to you then? And what does it mean to you in light of the fact that Christians have starved to death? Don't you think these people were praying? I can't imagine they weren't.

Now you tell me not to call God a liar when he promises to provide. You see me as attacking your faith but all I am doing is refusing to be willfully naive.
How can I not ask the obvious question, when, as I have pointed out, Christians have starved? The promise didn't work for them. What else am I to believe? :sad

BradtheImpaler said:
But Gabby, all you have done here is avoid the immediate point. What if you were starving to death in Africa and you were a Christian? What would that verse mean to you then? And what does it mean to you in light of the fact that Christians have starved to death? Don't you think these people were praying? I can't imagine they weren't.

Now you tell me not to call God a liar when he promises to provide. You see me as attacking your faith but all I am doing is refusing to be willfully naive.
How can I not ask the obvious question, when, as I have pointed out, Christians have starved? The promise didn't work for them. What else am I to believe? :sad

Brad,

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

See the condition? It must be met.

Reasons why:
John 8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear [them] not, because ye are not of God.

Jam 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

believe whatever you want to believe. And I encourage you to keep looking for new and different ways to say that you do not believe God. Perhaps in doing so, someday you will stumble over the truth.

Ok Brad,
I read your question again. What if I was starving, in Africa, and read that verse?

I would pray and trust God.

Perhaps you meant your question to be, What if I was in Africa, starving, asked God for food, and died anyway?

When Christians die, they go to heaven.

Anticipating the next question:Why oh why oh why would God allow that to happen?
He would be the one to ask that. Once you have developed your own relationship with Him, then I suggest that you pray over all of the other people that you are concerned about.

Gabbylittleangel said:
Ok Brad,
I read your question again. What if I was starving, in Africa, and read that verse?

I would pray and trust God.

Perhaps you meant your question to be, What if I was in Africa, starving, asked God for food, and died anyway?

When Christians die, they go to heaven.

Anticipating the next question:Why oh why oh why would God allow that to happen?
He would be the one to ask that. Once you have developed your own relationship with Him, then I suggest that you pray over all of the other people that you are concerned about.

Gabby, I believe that Brad has experienced what he may regard as stereotypical 'Christian rhetoric' MANY times before. He is no slouch. And, I surmise, this simplistic approach of quoting the words of others as though the very hearing of them is the panacea of all ills doesn't wash with him any more. And so he questions, looking for answers that in reality don't seem to be met by the mere writings from a book. I'm not necessarily saying that this is you, Gabby, but often the 'inspired' words of the Bible are just rattled off mechanically as if just by quoting them somehow places one in God's favor. This is why my approach to any number of issues comes more from my ability to reason out those issues than to merely indicate that I CAN read. And it's THIS that, at times, gets me into trouble with those who choose to read instead of to reason.

Brad, I have not seen your profile, your posts other than here in this thread for the last five or ten minutes reading, and know nothing of your beliefs, faith, position, or if , today, you are alive and if you trust Jesus.
I hope positively you are alive and trust Jesus.
Many of those who are faithful and true have been martyrs. This is to be expected as that is how Jesus was treated also. We who may soon be more martyrs, look to Jesus, and do not trust in man.

Let’s perhaps leave the 17 year-old threads stay dormant as none of these members are here any longer.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back