Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Friendliness

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
E

elijah23

We all have to stand our ground sometimes, but generally speaking, should we Christians be a friendly group of people?

Biblically speaking, Christians should be quick to forgive others; think of others more highly than themselves, etc. One of my favorite verses, which may help you:

Philippians 2:3-11 (NIV):

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death — even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Biblically speaking, Christians should be quick to forgive others; think of others more highly than themselves, etc. One of my favorite verses, which may help you:

Philippians 2:3-11 (NIV):

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death — even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

One thing that throws me a bit is the idea of leadership. I am rather introverted, but I am at an age where maybe people look up to me, and I don’t know if I should become more outgoing or remain an introvert.

I am quite new kid around, but this has always been one of my favorite parts of the Bible, even when I was atheist:

Luke 6:
27 “But I say to YOU who are listening, Continue to love YOUR enemies, to do good to those hating YOU, 28 to bless those cursing YOU, to pray for those who are insulting YOU. 29 To him that strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also; and from him that takes away your outer garment, do not withhold even the undergarment. 30 Give to everyone asking you, and from the one taking your things away do not ask [them] back.

31 “Also, just as YOU want men to do to YOU, do the same way to them.

Unfortunately, you cannot change who you are. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert; I can attest to this. In my opinion, as long as you are setting a good example and lead when called to, I see no problem.

Unfortunately, you cannot change who you are. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert; I can attest to this. In my opinion, as long as you are setting a good example and lead when called to, I see no problem.

The Lord does comment on our welcoming strangers:

[34] Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
[35] for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,
[36] I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Matt 25:34-36 RSV

so maybe we need to at least do that.

We all have to stand our ground sometimes, but generally speaking, should we Christians be a friendly group of people?
If gentleness is akin to being friendly, then I would say, "yes".

5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. (Phil. 4:5 NIV1984)

Christians can still be assertive and gentle at the same time.

The Lord does comment on our welcoming strangers:

[34] Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
[35] for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,
[36] I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Matt 25:34-36 RSV

so maybe we need to at least do that.

You hit the nail on the head. :thumbsup

Maybe being a 'friend' is the same as being a 'neighbor'(?)

From the parable of the good Samaritan:

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?â€

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.†(the one who stopped to care for the victim).

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.†(Luke 10:36-37 NIV1984 parenthesis mine)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back