Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Friendly atheist

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
hello :) Another atheist here, also with a Jewish (family) background! :biggrin

Strictly out of curiosity (if your willing to share), how old are you?

I happen to like having opposing viewpoints in religious forums. I would love it if there were people from all faiths here. I am a very liberal Christian and I too like the fact that there is not confession of conformity to this site. I look forward to some very interesting conversations. :biggrin

Hello! I am also new to the forum, and I grew up in a not very religious Jewish family. For much of my life, if somebody had asked if I thought God exists, I would have said 'yes," but, in truth, I'd never really thought about it all that much. I started college as a chemistry major, but after looking at what chemists actually did, I passed on a career in the sciences and have never had any reason to regret that decision.

At some point in my life, I became much more interested in such subjects as history, philosophy, spirituality, religion, the nature of consciousness, utopian thought and love, and I continue to be an enthusiastic student in those parts of life. I consider myself to be a seeker of information rather than an expert on these subjects, and I like it like that.

Since I was interested in finding out more about what love was about, I had to look into the teachings of Jesus, and I was and still am totally blown away. I can't find anything more powerful, exciting, wonderful or interesting than love, and I still feel like I'm a beginner at finding out about the subject.
I've also spent a quite a bit of time on some atheist forums because I was genuinely curious to see how non-believers justify their conceptions of how we and everything else came to exist.

I've got to say, I've met some very nice people on atheist forums, and some of them are quite brilliant. That being said, I find that I can punch holes in pretty much everything atheists have to offer up to explain their conceptions of the world.

After considering everything, I believe in God more than ever, and I think that Jesus was a very righteous being who had some truly amazing and powerful things to say. If you would like to discuss any of this, I'm more than willing, and I hope you enjoy your time on this forum!

Also new and I don't personally like to give myself any form of label, (as I prefer to define myself through myself). Does that account for anything?

Also new and I don't personally like to give myself any form of label, (as I prefer to define myself through myself). Does that account for anything?

Welcome to the forum, Jerry. I noticed you didn't make your own intro thread, but instead chose to post in this one titled "friendly atheist". I know you say that you dislike labels, but does this indicate that you leanings are currently more atheist in manner? Not asking you to define yourself nor label yourself-- just state your leanings. :biggrin

I agree with you about labels, but certainly labels can help others understand where we may come from in a generalized, nutshell type of manner. I think we should always be careful not to do two things: 1) Be careful not to use an individual to generalize a label, and 2) Be careful not to use a label to generalize an individual. :yes

Firstly I should state that I came to this thread due to the context this site, (‘treading the waters’ so to speak), in regards to the ambiguity of my ideas/beliefs.

You’re right though in that labels are essentially ‘tools’ that should be seen merely as a necessity to offer a base understanding. But what is said and what is done are obviously two different things, (and in today’s ‘branded’ culture this has become more so the case).

For example, I state I don’t follow religion or believe. To this someone then replies ‘well you’re an atheist’, a statement which then brings with it all the subsequent moral judgements upon my character such as ‘oh, he must read Dawkins’. Suddenly Dawkins and Hitchens are speaking for all of us, (obviously stating ‘us’ here in the hypothetical sense). This is a pitfall I want to avoid as categorisation whether we like it or not is a definite reality.

In regards to myself I like to base my ideas around the basic edict that it’s ‘ideas not beliefs’ and everything’s open to interpretation. There is a lot I can take from various teachings both in religion and philosophy and apply them with a degree of consideration, (along with a sense of self-awareness as to ‘why’). But then saying this I might be classified as agnostic.

I told a Christian this was what I was once and he replied ‘so you’re a coward’. I immediately became angry at his religion when it was him and him alone that had said it.

In short I want to be accountable for my own actions and worldview, (which I guess could become its own label but ce la vie). This is the best way I feel I can introduce myself though. I am me and I want to try and be the best at that.

Funny story, Atheist go to hell. I have a question for you non believers, Without the idea of Gods divine punishment, how do you not do immoral things?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back