Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Friendly Fire

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

handy

When a soldier is killed in the crossfire by his own side's weapons, it's called "friendly fire". One's own side killed one, but one is just as dead.

Friendly fire happens a lot within the church. :bigfrown

And the weapon of choice is too often gossip.

I do have a problem with sanctimonious gossips. I have a real problem with gossips who approach others with "prayer requests" that serve no other purpose than to pass on a juicy tid-bit.

I'd so rather spend my time with atheists, Hindu's and homosexuals than spend one minute with a hypocritical, church going, Bible thumping gossip!!! :nono2 You know where you stand with the former, and they do far less damage to the church and to the cause of Christ than a Christian gossip.

When a soldier is killed in the crossfire by his own side's weapons, it's called "friendly fire". One's own side killed one, but one is just as dead.

Friendly fire happens a lot within the church. :bigfrown

And the weapon of choice is too often gossip.

I do have a problem with sanctimonious gossips. I have a real problem with gossips who approach others with "prayer requests" that serve no other purpose than to pass on a juicy tid-bit.

I'd so rather spend my time with atheists, Hindu's and homosexuals than spend one minute with a hypocritical, church going, Bible thumping gossip!!! :nono2 You know where you stand with the former, and they do far less damage to the church and to the cause of Christ than a Christian gossip.

minor correction its fratricide. and no fire is friendly.

that is the truth. i have seen athiests and gays help the christian or each other.

'friendly fire' is often used here to describe ally americans killing britons in afghanistan ...

I'm not sure I see gossip like you do - I mean it's devastating if false rumours are being spread around and you hear it but people will talk regardless ... wouldn't you rather try to correct that 'bible thumping' Christian? ...

Gossip. Among the most devastating of things to the Body of Christ, and one of the hardest to control. Some people take it to extremes, and that really puts me off. But I have to admit, sometimes I'm interested in finding out what's what, sometimes I ask follow up questions, and sometimes I ever offer it myself. :shame Most of the time, I dismiss myself from the conversation, but again I have to admit I tend to stay within earshot to hear what I can.

I make it a rule not to and seldom do, but the fact that I engage in it all is unacceptable. This happens so much in the church, and it has since the beginning of it, I need to carry a sign I can hold up... "Gossip Alert!"

I was on a rant about gossip within the church last night because a young lady I know is being victimized by it.

First, she was victimized by a 21-year-old youth leader in her church's youth group. She was 14, he was 21 and he sexually abused her two years ago.

Her parents, once they found out, brought charges against him. They also went to their church's pastor and youth minister and gave them the facts. However, the pastor and youth minister decided that...I don't know, that perhaps my friend and her husband were lying, or that their daughter was lying...anyway the 21-year-old, (who is now 23) is still there, still working with the high school kids. They (the pastor and youth minister) know that the police brought charges against him and that he has been to court now about 4 times on this case, but, not once has either of them even went to court to see for themselves what evidence the police has gathered against him.

They left the church, but the police and the DA told them not to speak about the case. So, although the pastor, youth minister and the guy know the full story about what happened, nobody else in the church does.

But, just because no one else in the church didn't have any facts, sure didn't stop them from talking about her. Who knows how many times stories and assumptions were spread around. But, her mother found out yesterday that the church's Ladies Community Bible Study group are praying for her daughter and the baby!!!!! Yep, the current story is that they left the church because her 14 year old daughter got knocked up! Not once, in the entire two years, has anyone from that church, the church that my friend and her husband were married in, dedicated their kids in, were faithful members for over 30 years, not once has anyone called them to ask for their side of the story, or to see if what they have apparently been hearing is true.

The case has ground it's slow way through the court system, and the latest court date was day before yesterday. In it, he accepted a plea bargain that will enable him to plead guilty to misdemeanor charges instead of risking a trial on the felony offenses. Currently, the date for his sentencing is December 2. He is facing a minimum of 30 days in jail, 5 years probation, and court mandated counseling. Due to the plea bargain though, he will not have to register as a sexual offender.

After the guy sexually messed with her, he threatened her and told her that if she told anyone he and his buddies would make her pay. Once she did go to her parents and the police were brought in, his buddies started playing mind games with her, driving by her school, showing up in restaurants where she happened to be eating, trying to "friend" her on Facebook, that sort of thing. It stopped when the police started making noises that they could open themselves up for charges as well, but the girl went through about 4 months of hell before it stopped.

But then the girl started losing friends. All the kids from the youth group started alienating her, even though she didn't tell anyone what was going on. She stopped being invited over to sleepovers, to parties, to friend's. Her parents also started noticing that, at church, they would get the sense that people were talking about them...conversations would stop when they would walk up, they would get funny looks, you know what I mean.

I'm not going to go into everything this poor girl has been through for the past two years, but it has been really rough on her...and her church, the one she started going to as a baby, the one where she grew up, the one where she was baptized, the one where she committed her life to Christ at...threw her under the bus. She is on the out. She's the one who was forced out of the fellowship. He's still there, still working with the high school kids, even though the pastor and youth minister know the full story. :nono2

And, just when they started to think they are at the end of the tunnel, just when he accepted the plea bargain and will now finally face some punishment for what he did to a 14 year old girl...it comes out that all this time, all these horrible stories about her, including her leaving the church because she got pregnant, are circulating around.

Sure, once the guy is convicted and sentenced, maybe then people will begin to think that it was him and not her. But, who knows what all has been said and to whom and what people believe now. People have an amazing capacity to ignore facts and believe what they want to. So, even though this guy will spend some time in jail and be on probation for at least 5 years, her life will always remain altered because of this...and it will always remain true that her church attacked her instead of supporting her when she needed her church family the most. Her church, instead of reaching out to her in love, when it was clear that something was terribly wrong, just gossiped about her and spread lies, to the point that even now, two years later, lies are still circulating.

So, this is what gossip does...gossip makes it almost impossible for something to truly get laid to rest.

I will say that they are going to a new church, and she has new friends and an awesome boyfriend who has done her a world of good. She is getting some professional counseling and is really doing a lot better. She has done so well this past 8 months, really started to put it all behind her. I hope that this latest lie to jump up and slap her in the face won't set her back. I really hope it wont.

Sorry to hear what that poor girl has been through.

Sadly injustice happen everywhere all the time ... I always say lies run, truth walks ...

Will be praying for her and for all other people going through the same thing as we speak including those who'll be murdered because of lies ... :pray ...

Dora, that was a painful story to read. My heart goes out to her. The tongue can truly be sharper than a knife.

I hope I don't derail this thread by focusing on a part of your story. I'm kind of shocked that he would retain his status. Even if he was relieved from his position with pay until a verdict is reached, I could inderstand that.

In todays letigious environment, I'm surprized the employer would not be in self-protect mode. Anyone who works or volunteers for our church/school has to fill out a waiver and their background is checked. This is the world we live in. If they have a hit, they cannot be with children.

We had an unfortunate event that happened with a coach from another school in our Mell Ot league. You probably know, but for the sake of others, this is a Lutheran youth baseball league. The coach from the opposing school (who had always been a joy to coach against) snapped one day. The umpire made a call safe at home, and he went nuts! This run won the game for us and he threw a metal bat in the area of the kids and the umpire who were gathering by home plate.

The umpire called the police, they arrived, took witness statements, and he was charged with assault. It may seem extreme, but umpires get threatened a lot. They need to put a stop to it.

Anyway, the coach was not allowed to practice with the team or coach them after that day. I don't know what ended up happening since then. Point is, simply a charge of throwing the bat removed him from his position. This really makes me scratch my head in hearing that the man in your story kept going along after a much more serious charge!

I know, Mike! It seems crazy to me as well. My friend and her husband will in no way bring a suit against the church because of 1 Corinthians 6, but now that the case is closed and the facts of the case will come out, I wonder if other parents in the church will be as incensed as I would be, if I found out that my pastor and youth minister basically hid a child molester.

I could understand the pastor and youth minister not taking sides and waiting until all the facts were out before disciplining him, but to allow him to remain around high school girls with these kinds of charges against him??? And to not even show up during any of the court proceedings to see the evidence?

Hopefully, he hasn't done this to any other girls in the past two years. If he has, then the pastor and youth minister are guilty of negligence. With all the media hype about the priests, you'd have thought they would have been more proactive in at least telling him that he couldn't work with the youth until this was resolved.

Back