Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Game Over?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JohnDB

I'm totally at a loss as to what to do.

I'm a construction Electrician by trade. Meaning that I always get high at work...not mentally impaired by chemicals but I always climb stairs and ladders...

I just came back from the orthopedic doctor. My knee is shot...done...game over for climbing ladders. I currently have a huge bone bruise under the thin cartilage. That in itself is going to take two years to heal.
The remaining cartilage is arthritic and rough.

I go to the surgeon Tuesday...and then follow up with 3 silicone injections in my knee over a 6 week period of time.
And I was told no more stairs, bicycles, stooping, and especially ladders.

I've worked temp for so long...

I can still walk just fine.
I'm a high end of the high end electricians....I'm the guy that they put on difficult stuff. I can run pretty conduit and better than most faster with no fuss. Any type and size...

But game over. I have absolutely no idea what to do next.

I've had 4 different careers at this point... don't really want another. I'm not really made to do office work. Or anything else that is sedentary. I quit driving trucks when my low blood pressure kept making me fall asleep behind the wheel.
I'm too rough in person to be a civilized office puke. I haven't worn a tie in do long I'm not sure if I remember how to tie one anymore. If I have to go to a function needing one I'll have to buy a shirt that holds one. I own a few ties still.

I quit being a chef when the tendonitis was getting to be too much on my hands.

I quit being a salesman when I felt like I was selling my soul along with the sales.

So....now what?

I've got a little time to figure things out...not a lot...but some.

I've got some savings and unemployment for a while yet. My wife has a good job.
Moving may be in the cards to where we can get cheap rent. I dunno. We can probably save at least $1,000/ month on rent by moving to a cheaper place out of state.

So sorry to read this John.
I know you don't want to change career but are you prepared to compromise? It sounds as if you may have to.
You must have high qualifications on the jobs you describe. Does that qualify to teach/train aspiring chefs or construction electrician. Perhaps even lecturing.

So sorry to read this John.
I know you don't want to change career but are you prepared to compromise? It sounds as if you may have to.
You must have high qualifications on the jobs you describe. Does that qualify to teach/train aspiring chefs or construction electrician. Perhaps even lecturing.
And the moment I let loose with unintentional expletives that remove paint or wallpaper....yeah...I'm just glad that what I said accidentally in the pastor's office didn't get me blackballed from church.

I'm a construction Electrician by trade. Meaning that I always get high at work...not mentally impaired by chemicals but I always climb stairs and ladders...

I just came back from the orthopedic doctor. My knee is shot...done...game over for climbing ladders. I currently have a huge bone bruise under the thin cartilage. That in itself is going to take two years to heal.

I go to the surgeon Tuesday...and then follow up with 3 silicone injections in my knee over a 6 week period of time.

I'm a high end of the high end electricians....I'm the guy that they put on difficult stuff. I can run pretty conduit and better than most faster with no fuss. Any type and size...

I've had 4 different careers at this point... don't really want another. I'm not really made to do office work. Or anything else that is sedentary. I quit driving trucks when my low blood pressure kept making me fall asleep behind the wheel.
I'm too rough in person to be a civilized office puke. I haven't worn a tie in do long I'm not sure if I remember how to tie one anymore. If I have to go to a function needing one I'll have to buy a shirt that holds one. I own a few ties still.

I quit being a salesman when I felt like I was selling my soul along with the sales.

So....now what?

Have you considered taking your skills and knowledge of the trade and look for a position as a project estimator?

Have you considered taking your skills and knowledge of the trade and look for a position as a project estimator?
It's kinda a "reward" position for a few people...I got the skills to do it but not the relationships needed with owners of contractors to get one. These days it's almost too easy with expensive computer programs and huge databases that do a lot of it for you.
Granted you have to input contract specs and the stuff from the cut sheets...
But basically it almost orders every bit of wire, junction boxes and wire nuts for you.

I feel for ya brother having had both knees and both hips replaced and haven't worked for almost 20 years now. The restrictions can be overwhelming at times not being able to do the things you are use to doing and enjoyed doing. I do have to guard myself from getting depressed at times as that is par for the course. Retiring at the age of 45 (now 65) and being on disability all these years since helps with our combined income, but I do miss working as I was a cashier and warehouse worker all my life. On the bright side it has given me full time in God's ministry sharing His word and helping to teach others.

You are in my prayers as I know you will figure out your next step as God will guide you where He wants you to be.

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
James 5:16-17 KJV

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV

Actually he was happy that it wasn't directed at him...but it's a huge memory that causes laughter amongst the staff.
everyone has moments all though even i have never vented like that to a fellow paSTOR. i have had few things said to me and no i didnt respond well either i had a guy act like he wanted come after me when the meeting was over. i just looked at him walked on by. otherwise i might have pushed him down and walked over him... something should give with your work . you would make a great teacher with your experience. we use to have a engineer that did the tech classes at the college . we have A B C TECHS b-a have the top A are schooled in all the classes . print reading electrical hydraulics. you can do it ..

Well....
Went to the surgeon today...
He and my original orthopedic doctor are getting together to confab about my knee...

I got a small chance...but I am going to make the most out of it.
The shots and an orthodox insert might give me a chance back to a somewhat normal work life. My laying about is giving my bone a chance to heal.

My kneecap is rubbing one side of the groove it rides in...that's the side of it that hurts when I climb stairs (up or down) or ladders (up or down) .

What he says is that they don't really know if this will work or not...but it's got a chance at working.

Maybe by the end of July I can go back to work.

So....now what?

The Lord has something better for you.

You are blessed and I know He will open another door for you.

Consulting or training is in high demand.

Many new apprentices can gain a wealth of information from your vast experience and expertise.

Hang in there. Good things are coming.

JLB

Good news! A small chance is worth grabbing with both hands. Hope in your heart makes a big difference.
Have you any idea when the treatment starts?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back