Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Gf Morals Vs My Morals

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

lightx

OK, so one night me and my gf were talking about sex. I believe that sex should be waited til marriage though sometimes I do think about it, but wouldn't engage in the act. As with my girlfriend she has had sex, but she is willing too experiment and try out things. So I told her I couldn't do that to her because I care about her. So then she throws this quote at me which I don't know what it means :

""Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. So aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something." ."

I don't know how that fits in there but I'm just clueless!

Any who! I'm a christian and she says she a catholic, but when I tell her I like her name which means " like God" she says she hates it and she disagrees with her religion. :erm Makes me wonder sometimes she is confused.

anyone else understand that qoute and what she is trying to say ?

Well, it sounds like she's made herself clear. You need to decide who's more important to you; the Lord or your girlfriend. If you're devoted to Him, this should be a no-brainer. :shrug

There's nothing really there to understand, the third sentence is a non-sequitur, totally unrelated to the first.

If she were here I would ask her, "What do you mean by that?" because it's not apparent how behaving in an amoral fashion makes one good for something.

She does sound confused. In her first sentence she dismisses morality as being unuseful in some circumstances. Yet after dismissing the standards of good, she then immediately appeals to them again, by stating we should be "good for something." Really? By what standard are we measuring this "good" that she refers to, seeing as she's just tossed them out? She can only be referring to subjective choices/likes at this point. She likes experimenting, so she sees that as "good," but that's no reason for you think experimenting in this way is a "good" thing.

Her statement commits suicide. It's like saying, "There are no absolute statements." The problem is, that statement is itself an absolute statement, and so contradicts itself the moment it's uttered. It commits suicide.

The quote is from Thoreau, hardly a Christian scholar and hardly someone that we Christians need to listen to rather than the Spirit or the Scriptures.

I'm sorry but this just doesn't sound like a match. I see from your other tread that as of now you're not together. It seems to be best to just move on.

This sounds like a situation where, even if it were to work out between you and your Gf, it would be unequally yoked. Unequally yoked relationships put us in a difficult position because it makes it harder to stand strong when tempted to go against our beliefs and values.

The good thing is you stood strong but the reality this is something that you may end up having to move on to someone who is more compatible with your Christian beliefs.

Can you say heartache?

Throw this fish back!
Sorry not only are her actions telling you she is not a Christian, but shes a non practicing Catholic?
Not my opinion, but thats very different than Christianity. Works based righteousness is not putting your faith and trust in Christ alone for your salvation. Not being able to go to heaven because your not part of the one true church RCC is not Biblical, in fact the catechism says that protestants are an anathema! Trusting in seven sacraments for your salvation is not trusting in Christ alone. Light has no business partnering with darkness. than there is her actions, not only does she reject her faith, but shes living for the flesh and herself and her desires. Christ is not her Lord by the sound of it, and if He's not your Lord he's not your savior!
Best thing you can do is share the gospel with her and pray for her, but make sure you use the law as she probably thinks shes a good person another sign shes not a believer or she would see herself as good does and in total need of a savior. You might also want to explain the difference in what you believe imputed rightousness VS infused rightousness that the RCC teaches. works vs grace and a gift from God so that no man can boast.
Save the heartache!

It sounds like she is not a Christian and would be willing to have premarrital sex. If you are a follower of God I believe you have an ultimatum. God or girlfriend? Which one is more important to you?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back