Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Ghost hunting" show

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

tjw

There is a show on tv that is about going to "haunted" places to film and/or record ghosts or spirits... Would you, as a Christian, watch a show like that? Should Christians watch something like that?

No. But that is a matter of personal taste as well. I have no desire to see people making fools of themselves on TV.
Also, I believe many of these spirits are demons and have no desire to watch people glorify them.

Should Christians watch it in general? I don't know.

I don't think it's wise either unless you're led by the holy spirit and he gives you a clear run.

What about horror movies? Should Christians watch those kinds of movies?

Phl 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

1Pe 1:14-16 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."

1Cr 6:12 "All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything.

1Cr 6:19-20 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

TV, movies, and the like can lead a person to 'believe' in an alternate reality. It effects the mind. Our minds are where the battles of the flesh and the soul take place. One wars with the other and our mind is the battle ground. Some people do not like this battle, so they numb it by 'thinking on' things that seem 'neutral'.

Christ is clear when He tells us that we are either for or against Him. There is no neutral ground. Neutrality is against Christ. Movies, TV, and such may not look 'bad', but they do have an influence on your mind. Use discretion. If it does not seem peaceful to you while watching something, then do not watch it.

There's a lot of different shows with a similiar theme. If you actually take a look at the show on SyFy, Ghosthunters, these guys actually try to debunk cases where people think they are being haunted. This is both good and bad, it's good because it takes people's focus off of ghosts and hauntings, it's bad because it could take their focus off of all things spiritual.

Then there's the show called Paranormal State, these guys use the exact same equipment as the Ghosthunters but come up with different results, because they're looking to PROVE ghosts and demons exist, not debunk the subject.

Both are bad because they're not properly analizing the facts and data. One group searches to debunk while the other searches to prove. There's an agenda in their heads and thats how they conclude their results.

I've personally watched these shows just to watch them. I would love to actually have proof of a haunting on camera because it would 1) help athiests turn their attentions to something spiritual, and 2) we could use it to explain demons, angels, eternity, Christ, etc.

But I think of it as alcohol. Many Christians don't drink because they're told not to. Some do for special occasions but do not do it to get drunk. I wouldn't advise someone who struggles with alcoholism to be around people who drink.

If it leads you to sin STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!

Likewise, if these shows make you question your faith, or if you've practiced the dark arts before becoming saved, if you're not mature enough in Christ, don't watch them. Stay away from them.

I say this for anyone who tries to stay away from certain things on TV that they're afraid would make them stumble and woyuld be likely to watch, have someone set your parental controls with a password you don't know and block these channels out.

This helps you from stumbling upon late night Cinemax, shows on the paranormal, etc.

Again, the shows aren't bad themselves, it's how you receive the shows and what they make you do or think that should help you decide on watching them or not.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back