Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Glitches with CFnet Text Box Not Scrolling (& other hassles)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

Edit: I split this topic off when a topic by Nick about Chrome devolved in to tech support for my personal issues. Maybe others have these issues too. Better yet, maybe someone has fixes! :yes

1. Router always disconnecting
2. Text Box does not scroll down when using certain browsers like IE and Opera.

*end edit*

I love FF, but ever since I switched to it, my router disconnects randomly. :mad I have to go and unplug my router for a second. Just very annoying, and it only started when I downloaded FF.

Does that happen to anyone else? It seems to be a known problem, 'cause it comes up in searches a lot. No fixes though! :mad :mad :mad

I'm pretty slow to change. The only reason I went from IE to FF was because I ran into problems posting things here that were more than the length of this box. Is that a problem with Chrome or Opera.

I use Opera on my blackberry. Love it for my bb!

That's weird Mike...
I run Ubuntu at home and Firefox is our only browser the kids will use on that machine, and I've never had a problem...

Also, I'm on firefox right now on my Windoz machine and havn't had any issues with our router, ever. :shrug

That makes me think maybe you've got an Add-on that isn't playing nice with your router? For the life of me I don't have any idea... have you googled your issue?

If it's not an Add-on, have you tried flashing the firmware in your router?

Good luck!

Thanks Jeff, but you're gonna have to bring your answer down a few notches. "Flash my router"? How do I check to see if an add-on is doing this? When I google "Firefox router", I find that a good number of people have the same issue. The only fix I found suggested is to make sure the FF version is the latest. Mine is. ???

Okay, so upon advice from Jeff and Nick, I deleted my FF and re-installed it. I still get booted from my router though. :shrug

And I ditched Opera, because I can't be bothered with a browser that limits my response on these boards to the length of the dialogue box. No one's mentioned this issue. Looking for feedback to see if others have issues with this, and the browsers you use that allow the box to scroll down as you type.

Mike, what Operating System are you using? Has this box probelm happened to all browsers you've tried?

I'm on Windows Vista, and it happened with IE and Opera, but not FF.

We also have a laptop that runs on Windows 7. I've been using FF since we got this one, so I can't say whether my dialogue box would be limited using IE with Window 7.

I'll try it on that one and report in. It's usually occupied by a 14 year old or a 12 year old. :bigfrown

Thanks, Nick!

Nick, I pried the one laptop away from this kids to find I have the same box problem using IE with Windows 7. When I first joined and was having the issue, someone advised that it was IE and switch to FF.

If I flew you in to the U.S. from Australia, could you look at my wireless config? :) Maybe it has something to do with my network sharing settings between our laptops and the router, cause when I think about it, we got the Windows 7 laptop around the time we switched to FF. :idea

Hmmm...to be honest I'm not sure. It could be your network settings. I have not experience with windows 7 though. I have xp and vista.

What version of IE do you have?

Nick said:
Hmmm...to be honest I'm not sure. It could be your network settings. I have not experience with windows 7 though. I have xp and vista.

What version of IE do you have?

(Mike says to his therapist) "So then a day later, Nick asks me what version of IE I'm using... :confused "
(therapist to Mike) "Why do you suppose Nick didn't ask this ask you this in the first place?"

(Mike to his therapist) "I know. That's why I'm here with you!"

(therapist to Mike) "You really need better tech support than this 'Nick' from Australia."

(Mike to therapist) " :crying ... Nick's giving me tech support by the day! Why would he do that? :crying He's broken me, doc. I'm a broken man using IE version 8.0.6001.18904IC! What is Nick going to do with that information for the next day while I wait for him?"

(therapist to Mike) " :crying "

:lol

Just asking cause IE6 has heaps of issues. But IE8 should work fine.

Sorry Mike. I'm not sure. Perhaps the network idea is more sound a theory than browser/OS. :shrug

Wow! That was like live-chat compared to our normal give & take...with the same level of customer satisfaction. :bigfrown

Do I get to fill out some sort of evaluation on the level of service for quality control purposes?

Well you can. I can't promise anyone will read it. ;) :tongue

Sorry Mike, I undestand when you have a problem and people can't help you. I'm trying to fix my laptop at the moment as it can't boot either linux or windows and I now have to use the opensuse live cd and am finding it hard to get help on the opensuse forums...so I know how frustrating it is.

Have you tried typing your responses in a text editor like Notepad or document processor like MS Word and copy + paste into the reply box?

Nick said:
Well you can. I can't promise anyone will read it. ;) :tongue

Sorry Mike, I undestand when you have a problem and people can't help you. I'm trying to fix my laptop at the moment as it can't boot either linux or windows and I now have to use the opensuse live cd and am finding it hard to get help on the opensuse forums...so I know how frustrating it is.

No problem. I realize you can't do much from down under. As much as I love technology, I hate it as much when I have issues.

By the way, besides booting up, I have no idea what you said above. That's the level of competence you're dealing with

Nick said:
Have you tried typing your responses in a text editor like Notepad or document processor like MS Word and copy + paste into the reply box?

Yeah, but that's such a hassle. FF works great, except for the router thing. Thanks though. :thumbsup

Nighty-night!

Mike said:
By the way, besides booting up, I have no idea what you said above
That's ok. All you needed to know was this:

Mike said:
Sorry Mike, I undestand when you have a problem and people can't help you. I'm trying to fix my laptop at the moment ... so I know how frustrating it is.

Mike said:
Yeah, but that's such a hassle. FF works great, except for the router thing. Thanks though. :thumbsup
Well you may have to settle for that for the time being. I can't think of anything else. Hopefully someone else will be able to sort out the router thing. I know about networks but not so much about the technicalities of a router.

You two crack me up :lol

Mike,
Under IE 8 you have the option to run compatibility mode for particular sites. It fixed the issues I had with IE 8 and this site.

To enable compatibility mode for a site, look just to the right of where you type in the url (http://christianforums.net) and you should see what looks like a piece of paper torn in half. To the right of that is your icon with two arrows for refreshing the page and then to the right of that is the icon with the X which stops the page.

When on Christian Forums, click on the first icon that looks like a piece of paper torn in half and see if that doesn't fix your issue.

Good luck :)

StoveBolts said:
You two crack me up :lol

Mike,
Under IE 8 you have the option to run compatibility mode for particular sites. It fixed the issues I had with IE 8 and this site.

To enable compatibility mode for a site, look just to the right of where you type in the url (http://christianforums.net) and you should see what looks like a piece of paper torn in half. To the right of that is your icon with two arrows for refreshing the page and then to the right of that is the icon with the X which stops the page.

When on Christian Forums, click on the first icon that looks like a piece of paper torn in half and see if that doesn't fix your issue.

Good luck :)

Jeff, you are brilliant! That fixed my IE problem all together! Nick, please remit your bill for services rendered. I've decided to take my tech business to another vendor! :lol

Seriously, Jeff. No one should have the wide range of knowledge you do. I'm sure your lack of ego wouldn't allow for this. But, I'll tell ya. If I'm ever in need of heart surgery, I'm giving you a book on the subject matter and scheduling a visit with you the next week. Jeesh!!!

Not to take anything away from you, Nick. Sorry. Business is business. You're quite savvy yourself! :)

And then there's me... :shame2

StoveBolts said:
have you tried flashing the firmware in your router?

Just to set the record straight, I might have misquoted Jeff, but it originated from him. Looking at Jeff's wording, though... nah... :gah

(This post is begging another mod with more restrain to edit it, but come on!!!)

Mike said:
"Flash my router"?

This, however has me singin' The Doors in my mind. "Come on baby, flash my router..."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back