Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study God is a consuming fire!!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
We see this and imagery like it in response to sin: Genesis 19:24 Deuteronomy 4:12 Deuteronomy 4:24 Deuteronomy 9:3 Jeremiah 11:16 Mark 9:48 Hebrews 12:18-29 2 Peter 3:7. "they may learn to fear me" Deuteronomy 4:10. If we see fire destroy, I think we would treat it with respect, not "play with matches."

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty

That's what I think about when I see that phrase. God is Holy Holy Holy and in that Holiness consumes as in completely destroys all that is not Holy.

Isaiah 6:5Then I said,“Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.”

Here Isaiah caught a glimpse of God, and realized how insignificant he was. God cannot dwell in sin, so to even draw near to him required a certain protocol. If that wasn't adhered to, think of Nadab and Abihu when they brought strange fire before the Lord. God was the same yesterday, today and forever and I believe sometimes the aweness factor is lost as we often think of him as the suffering servant, and sometimes losing sight that he will return as the conquering King. Not in anyways diminishing either his Kingship or Servanthood.

Isaiah 6:5Then I said,“Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.”

Here Isaiah caught a glimpse of God, and realized how insignificant he was. God cannot dwell in sin, so to even draw near to him required a certain protocol. If that wasn't adhered to, think of Nadab and Abihu when they brought strange fire before the Lord. God was the same yesterday, today and forever and I believe sometimes the aweness factor is lost as we often think of him as the suffering servant, and sometimes losing sight that he will return as the conquering King. Not in anyways diminishing either his Kingship or Servanthood.
Well said. His fire is feared but yet must be trusted in. His fire purifies and refines. I guess we are afraid to see who we are.

Exodus 24:15-18

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

15 Then Moses went up to the mountain, and the cloud covered the mountain.16 The glory of the Lord rested on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days; and on the seventh day He called to Moses from the midst of the cloud. 17And to the eyes of the sons of Israel the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like a consuming fire on the mountain top. 18 Moses entered the midst of the cloud as he went up to the mountain; and Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights.

Yes, Holy Holy Holy, Lord God Almighty. Yes, He purifies and refines us.

My pastor gave a sermon on it the other day and said that if the Holy Spirit is a fire then if it is in you the fire will burn.

Nicely put.

What are we to make of this scripture? What are the scriptures trying to say here?

Deuteronomy 4:24 "(For the Lord thy God is a consuming fire, even a Jealous God.)"

There is a lot of information within this verse. God the Father of love is a consuming fire, and it is God's enemies that are consumed by His fire. When a consuming fire takes over any flesh it is turned to ashes, speaking in a spiritual sense. However to those that love the Lord and study and follow His Word, that same fire that consumes the enemy, warms our souls. That "consuming fire" that is used here, fugitively is an "anthropopathiea", it is using something that is used of man to better explain something of God. This same consuming fire is the warmth and joy that the Holy Spirit brings to your heart when you strive to please Father, and live your life as He has instructed you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back