Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth God is Always There

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

DarkWalker

Psalm 139 is well known within the Church. In it, King David writes that God has searched us and known us, since before we were born. The eighth verse, however, recently struck me as particularly reassuring:
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
In short, this verse tells us that if we go into the skies, God is there. What is very interesting to me, however, is the next portion. In the Hebrew in which this verse is originally written, the word for "make my bed" refers to the idea of a marriage bed, providing the idea of a more permanent residence, a more intimate association. The word for "Hell" is the familiar word sheol, referring to the grave--a place of physical and spiritual death.

Sometimes we think of God as being absent from Hell. After all, it is a place of separation from Him, right? So why would David say, "if I go to Hell--if I take up a residence there--God is there?" There are a few thoughts I've had on this. One is that David was confident God would be with Him, even if David ended up in Hell. However, the more biblical position (in my opinion) is that God is present, even when we cannot feel His presence.

There are times in my life where I am prone to highs and lows. However, whether I can sense God or not, this verse (and many others) reassure me He is there. We do not need to feel Him, or see Him, or sense Him in any way. All we need to do is trust that whatever we do, wherever we are, God is with us. Even if we choose to indulge our sins, He is there. Even if we are going through our own version of Hell on Earth, He is there. There is nothing we can do to change that fact.

This verse used to make me upset as a younger man, because it meant I couldn't get away with having "fun" with sin without God knowing about it. As I have grown, physically and spiritually, I have come to understand what a comfort it is to know God has my back, whether I feel Him there or not. We are given our senses and emotions, but we are also given the "heart knowledge" of things that comes from faith. Thank God that His ability to work in our lives is not subject to what we feel or sense.

I didn't realize that Sheol referred to SPIRITUAL death.
If one's spirit is dead, how would we have any awareness of God..... or anything?

I didn't realize that Sheol referred to SPIRITUAL death.
If one's spirit is dead, how would we have any awareness of God..... or anything?
You mistook my meaning. Spiritual death, as I understand it, refers to one's lack of salvation. It does not refer to the non-existence of the soul.

Nice thoughts DarkWalker Jesus too spent time in Sheol and GOD was there for Him

Notice the poetry simile and the pictures of Jonah, a type for Jesus in Sheol

Jon 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

SHalom

There are times in my life where I am prone to highs and lows. However, whether I can sense God or not, this verse (and many others) reassure me He is there. We do not need to feel Him, or see Him, or sense Him in any way. All we need to do is trust that whatever we do, wherever we are, God is with us. Even if we choose to indulge our sins, He is there. Even if we are going through our own version of Hell on Earth, He is there. There is nothing we can do to change that fact.

Interesting post, and Amen.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back