Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study God is not harsh. He is reasonable.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Leah781

God has many wonderful qualities. I would like to discuss one of them with you. The quality is reasonableness.

Hello everyone. I have been thinking about God’s wonderful qualities and how he deals with his people. He is always reasonable when he deals with us imperfect humans. I thought we could learn from this and apply it in our daily lives. If you would like to join me in pondering this topic please give me a bible example when reasonableness was displayed by God or Jesus.

My definition of reasonable for this discussion:

When dealing with others we should take in consideration their circumstances. We should not be harsh, unduly strict, rigid. If appropriate we can be flexible and yield to the wishes of others and adjust our requirements.

Example: Genesis 19: 18-22 God spared Lot’s life when he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. He told Lot to flee to the mountains. Lot was fearful that if he fled to the mountains he would die. He asked God if he could go to town of Zoar instead. Lot’s fears had no basis, but God took the time to listen to Lot’s feelings and then God accommodated his request.

Example: Luke 8:43-48 Here Jesus cures the woman with the flow of blood. She was gathered among the large crowd of people, this was against the Mosaic Law because she was unclean due to her bleeding. Jesus showed mercy and reasonableness. He kindly and lovingly cured her. He could have chastised her for breaking the law but he didn’t. Jesus read her heart and because of her circumstances he did not follow the letter of the law.

Example: Luke 8:43-48 Here Jesus cures the woman with the flow of blood. She was gathered among the large crowd of people, this was against the Mosaic Law because she was unclean due to her bleeding. Jesus showed mercy and reasonableness. He kindly and lovingly cured her. He could have chastised her for breaking the law but he didn’t. Jesus read her heart and because of her circumstances he did not follow the letter of the law.
imo,
Jesus never disobeyed the Law or allowed others to disobey the Law.
So what was going on here? The Law never intended for this woman to be segregated in her home and not receive healing. It says to me that the people had been without a sheppard. Those who should have come to her and prayed for her healing were not doing what the Lord had called them to do. Those Levites who were suppose to service the people in their care were not listening to the Lord.

My definition of reasonable for this discussion:

When dealing with others we should take in consideration their circumstances. We should not be harsh, unduly strict, rigid. If appropriate we can be flexible and yield to the wishes of others and adjust our requirements.

That is actually pretty close to a Buddhist (gasp!) definition of "compassion." This can be a very transforming perspective. You have to work at it, because it does not come naturally to human nature. For a Christian, of course, "work at it" means mostly "allow the Holy Spirit to work on you." My knee-jerk reaction is still to be judgmental of others, but my irritation and self-righteousness quickly evaporate if I step back and take the perspective you are describing. I'm an avid golfer, and when Tiger Woods had his incredible scandals in 2009 I was initially outraged - but realistically, what messes would I get into if I were a good-looking 35-year-old, a billionaire with a lifestyle Bill Gates would envy, and the most famous athlete (and one of the most famous people) on the planet?

Jesus certainly was compassionate (or reasonable) toward human failings. When he appeared to be harsh, this had roots in compassion as well. Sometimes what appears to be harsh may indeed be the compassionate (or reasonable) approach. Jesus obviously knew when this was appropriate; making a correct decision is much trickier for humans, since most of us are naturally inclined toward harshness.

The Problem of Evil nags at us because sometimes what God allows does seem harsh from our perspective. This is a mystery that I don't believe can be explained away. We can only trust that God, in His wisdom and mercy and with His perspective of eternity, is (as you say) always compassionate (reasonable) even when this isn't completely obvious to us.

imo,
Jesus never disobeyed the Law or allowed others to disobey the Law.
So what was going on here? The Law never intended for this woman to be segregated in her home and not receive healing. It says to me that the people had been without a sheppard. Those who should have come to her and prayed for her healing were not doing what the Lord had called them to do. Those Levites who were suppose to service the people in their care were not listening to the Lord.

Deborah I didn’t say that Jesus broke the law or encouraged others to do so. This woman was ceremonially unclean. She broke the law she shouldn’t have been in a large crowd were people were pressed against each other. Whoever touched her would be unclean until the evening. Her actions could have caused others to unknowingly sin, but Jesus read her sincere heart and chose to over look that.
Leviticus 15:19King James Version (KJV)

19 And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.

Leviticus 15:31King James Version (KJV)

31 Thus shall ye separate the children of Israel from their uncleanness; that they die not in their uncleanness, when they defile my tabernacle that is among them.

Leviticus 15:31King James Version (KJV)

31 Thus shall ye separate the children of Israel from their uncleanness; that they die not in their uncleanness, when they defile my tabernacle that is among them.
I understand this to mean they were not allowed in the tabernacle/temple.

Leviticus 15:19King James Version (KJV)

19 And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean until the even.
Could someone become unclean by touching someone if they had no knowledge that they were unclean? I think Paul answers this question when he talks about eating certain foods and idolatry.

I completely agree with you that Jesus knew her heart and her faith. I have no doubt about that.
What I question is that, He was being reasonable. I believe He was the only one who truly understood the spiritaul intent or meaning of each of the Laws.
So I'll leave it at that. You can put this off to my musings, just sharing my thoughts. God Bless

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back