Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God ~ The Holy Spirit

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Easyrider said:
...There's more, but that gives a solid foundation for the Holy Spirit being not only a person, but God Himself - the Third Person of the Godhead.

Easyrider,
AMEN My hat is off to you!
loki8.gif

icon_welcome.gif
Welcome to the forums!

I think that in order to understand who the ''person'' of the Holy Spirit is we must take a look at the different functions of the Holy Spirit....What I will present here are just a few tiny facts. The doctrine of the Holy Spirit is something that theologians study and have been studying for years...

One aspect of the Holy Spirit’s revealing work is teaching certain things to God’s people and give them understanding to Gods (his) truths....

Jesus promised this teaching function especially to his disciples when he said that the Holy Spirit “will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to youâ€Â...., and said, “he will guide you into all the truth†Jesus (GOD) promised that when his disciples were put on trial because of persecution, the Holy Spirit would teach them at that time what to say....

The Apostle Paul speaks of revealing truths in 1 cor 2...the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

The Holy Spirit reveales things. Some examples....The Holy Spirit showed Simeon that he would not die until he saw the Messiah, or revealing to Agabus that a famine would occur or that Paul would be taken captive in Jerusalem.

The Holy Spirit is seen in the fact that he enables those who have been born again to understand certain vital truths like Jesus is God.....Those who are not born again''The unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God†but “The spiritual man judges all thingsâ€Â.

Prayer for Spiritual Wisdom

15 Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, 18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power 20 which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.

This scripture seems like a good place to end this post....for this evening as 24 will be starting soon.....

Gabbylittleangel said:
Easyrider,
AMEN My hat is off to you!
loki8.gif

icon_welcome.gif
Welcome to the forums!

Thanks, Gabbylittleangel. I appreciate the welcome! God bless..

Here's more on the Holy Spirit in addition to what I previously presented:

THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE LIFE OF THE BELIEVER

1. The new birth is brought about by the Spirit (John 3:5-6).
2. The Spirit indwells the believer's spirit (Romans 8:9; I Corinthians 3:16; 6:17).
3. The Spirit gives assurance of salvation (Romans 8:16).
4. The Spirit fills the believer with Himself (Acts 2:4).
5. The Spirit speaks to the believer (Acts 8:29; I Timothy 4:1; Revelation 2:7).
6. The Spirit provides understanding about the things of God (I Corinthians 2:12)
7. The Spirit teaches and guides the believer (John 16:13; I John 2:27).
8. The Spirit imparts life (John 6:63; II Corinthians 3:6).
9. The Spirit brings about renewal (Titus 3:5).
10. The Spirit strengthens the believer's inner being (Ephesians 3:16).
11. The Spirit enables the believer to pray (Jude 20; Romans 8:26-28).
12. The Spirit enables the believer to worship in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24; Philippians 3:3; I Corinthians 14:15).
13. The Spirit leads the believer (Romans 8:14).
14. The Spirit enables the believer to put carnal works to death (Romans 8:13).
15. The Spirit produces Christ-likeness in character and fruit in the believer's life (Galatians 5:22, 23).
16. The Spirit gives a calling to the believer for special service (Acts 13:2-4).
17. The Spirit guides believers into their ministry (Acts 8:29; 16:6-7).
18. The Spirit empowers the believer to witness (Acts 1:8).
19. The Spirit imparts spiritual gifts as He wills (I Corinthians 12:7-11).
20. The Spirit will bring about the resurrection and immortality to the believers' bodies in the last day (Romans 8:11; I Corinthians 15:47-51; I Thes. 4:15-18).

TITLES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

1. The Spirit of Wisdom (Isaiah 11:2; Ephesians 1:17).
2. The Spirit of Knowledge (Isaiah 11:2).
3. The Spirit of Counsel and Might (Isaiah 11:2).
4. The Spirit of Grace and Supplication (Zechariah 12:10).
5. The Spirit of Judgment (Isaiah 4:4).
6. The Spirit of Burning (Isaiah 4:4).
7. The Breath of the Almighty (Job 32:8; 33:4).
8. The Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead (Romans 8:11; I Peter 3:18).
9. The Power of the Highest (Luke 1:35).
10. The Eternal Spirit (Hebrews 9:14).
11. The Spirit of Holiness (Romans 1:4).
12. The Comforter (John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7).
13. The Spirit of Love (II Timothy 1:7).
14. The Spirit of Truth (John 14:17; 16:13; 15:26; I John 4:6).
15. The Spirit of Life (Romans 8:2; Revelation 11:11).
16. The Spirit of Adoption (Romans 8:15).
17. The Spirit of Faith (II Corinthians 4:13).
18. The Spirit of Promise (Ephesians 1:13-14).
19. The Spirit of Grace (Zechariah 12:10; Hebrews 10:29).
20. The Spirit of Glory (I Peter 4:14).
21. The Spirit of Power (II Timothy 1:7).
22. The Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation (Ephesians 1:17).
23. The Spirit of Prophecy (Revelation 19:10).
24. The Good Spirit (Nehemiah 9:30).
25. The Free Spirit (Psalm 51:12).
26. The Unction from the Holy One (I John 2:20).
27. The Anointing which teaches us (I John 2:27).
28. The Voice of the Lord (Ezekiel 1:24; Genesis 3:8; Isaiah 6:8).
(All references Kevin Conner; The Foundations of Christian Doctrine. pages 82-83).

mutzrein said:
Hi Gabby - have just been going back over a few old posts.

I find no evidence in scripture for the spirit being breathed into man at creation. Man received the breath of life . . . and so did the animals. So there is no differentiation between man and beast with respect to a 'spirit'.

Adam died, not because his spirit died, but because he was barred from the tree of life. Up to that point he could partake of any tree but at the point at which he disobeyed God, no longer could he have eternal life. So, in effect he died.

Yes - man can be (and I have known of instances of it) possessed by evil demonic spirits. These spirits do not inhabit a person's spirit, but an empty vessel - ie one in which there is no spirit (including animals) - meaning they are not born of the Spirit. You see, it is impossible for one who is born of the Spirit to be possessed by an evil spirit.

It is a fallacy therefore to say that any Christian can have (and therefore needs deliverance from) an evil spirit. If the person is a Christian, they are born again - and therefore it is impossible for them to be possessed. If however, they are possessed, they are plainly not born again and therefore not a christian.

Mutz, when I read your post, this is the verse that came to mind.

2Cr 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

It is just way to simple to me. Upon being born again, we receive the Holy Spirit and become a new creation in Christ Jesus.

You have inspired another thread. Watch for it :wink:

Gabbylittleangel said:
Mutz, when I read your post, this is the verse that came to mind.

2Cr 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

It is just way to simple to me. Upon being born again, we receive the Holy Spirit and become a new creation in Christ Jesus.

You have inspired another thread. Watch for it :wink:

Good on ya - we wouldn't want to have any more beguiling would we :wink:

And it is simple to me too. It was the woman that was beguiled - but the sin was Adam's. :o

Anyway - enough of that. I look forward to seeing your next inspired thread :tongue

Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone];
Eph 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Eph 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

What is your take on this passage? How do you read "...habatation of God through the Spirit."?

Does God dwell in you?

Holy Spirit, the Comforter, The.

1. Proceeds from the Father. Joh 15:26.

2. Given
a. By the Father. Joh 14:16.
b. By Christ. Isa 61:3.
c. Through Christ’s intercession. Joh 14:16.

3. Sent in the name of Christ. Joh 14:26.

4. Sent by Christ from the Father. Joh 15:26; 16:7.

5. As such he
a. Communicates joy to saints. Ro 14:17; Ga 5:22; 1Th 1:6.
b. Edifies the Church. Ac 9:31.
c. Testifies of Christ. Joh 15:26.
d. Imparts the love of God. Ro 5:3-5.
e. Imparts hope. Ro 15:13; Ga 5:5.
f. Teaches saints. Joh 14:26.
g. Dwells with, and in saints. Joh 14:17.
h. Abides for ever with saints. Joh 14:16.
i. Is known by saints. Joh 14:17.

6. The world cannot receive. Joh 14:17.

The Holy Spirit is not a god, but the Divine proceeding from one God in whom is the Divine Trinity, and that one God is Jesus Christ. The Divine proceeding means the Lord conntinues to teach and lead forever til eternity.

Harry

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back