Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Godly Sorrow

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Davies

Godly sorrow is very painful, but motivates us to come closer to God. Godly sorrow will help us to face our faults wherein our normal practice is to minimize them. Godly sorrow is a gift from God, and I think He pieces it out a little at a time as to not overwhelm us. I think we need God's help to face our faults, because He puts them into the proper light (they're worse than we think), He strengthens us to see them, and wonderfully, He does not condemn us being found in Jesus. Don't be afraid. Examine the gritty details, the sludge, the thing that if anyone saw it, they would recoil at its revelation, and you'll find a deeper understanding of God's grace and how valuable the cross really is.

The believer's sorrow for sin becomes more evangelical than formerly; for whereas, before there was much of self-love, and fear of wrath and Hell in his mourning; now, having a clear view of the love of God in pardoning him, and of the distinguishing grace and favor of God extended to him--he comes to mourn, loathe, and abase himself more deeply than before, and to melt with filial sorrow before the Lord--that he should act so unworthily and unthankfully towards such a gracious, tender, and loving Father. "Then, when I make atonement for you for all you have done--you will remember and be ashamed." Ezekiel 16:63 - Thomas Sherman, "Aids to the Divine Life--A Series of Practical Christian Contemplations" 1680

1 John 1:9
New King James Version (NKJV)
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

- Davies

Yes, Paul says, 'Godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be repented of.'
Farouk, this was a great response. This is something that the Kingdom of God is built upon. I would only add that I don't think most of us know what we are sorry for.

Great post and good responses. I think sometimes Christianity is too influenced by the surrounding culture. Here in the US where I am, that means a culture that looks at sins and mistakes as "learning experiences" or otherwise minimizes them. My own sins and misdeeds caught up with me around 24. My experience of "godly sorrow," complete with dreams about my sins in a 2-man, 23 hour lockdown jail cell, has made it a lot easier to accept God's Laws and Truths. Sometimes pain--especially "redemptive suffering"--can be quite produtive in terms of repentance and spiritual maturation.

If you ask psychologists, you'll often find it hard to get beyond the matter of whether God exists. If you ask someone who has been in jail (for whatever reason), the concepts of offending God and sin are not at all hard for them to grasp. This is why there are probably more Christians in jail than among psychologists.

Recently, I did something sinful, and I was thinking how when I went to God to ask for forgiveness, I had to acknowledge the great kindness of God because He has promised to forgive me. In order for me to see that kindness, I had to trust in the promise. It's natural for us to run and hide from God, or just simply minimize what we did wrong so we don't have to feel as bad, but then we miss out on the blessing that God, I believe, desires to lavish on us.

I think the reason why people who have spent time in jail understand sin better is because they've actually had to suffer the consequences of their actions. A psychologist doesn't allow room for God, and so they categorize behavior from a purely philosophical or maybe a biological point of view. Perhaps if more psychologists were put in jail, then the ratio between Christians and psychologists would go up. :tongue

- Davies

Without Love, a person doesn't care what they do to another person much less to God. For without the voice of God in a man's heart, there can be no Godly sorrow. How many people carry a false image of god? How many people sin in the first place because of this?

But then these questions are to be avoided, as the vanity of the confounded does not allow such things to be pondered.
Isaiah 44:9

King James Version (KJV)

9They that make a graven image are all of them vanity; and their delectable things shall not profit; and they are their own witnesses; they see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed.

Back