Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Golden Gate Bridge Suicides

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
My post #78, was mostly directed at the government taking control who would then be forced to recompense through the deceptive art of taxes for Cal citizens. They are overstepping their intended involvement in the goings on of society, and FAR, FAR, FAR too many people are willing to forsake control of their own lives and give it to Big Bro.
The bridge is a public space, correct? (ie the bridge is not privately owned)

What scars me about the bridge is, it is the number #1 suicide spot in the world. Not number #2 but it is number #1 from children to adults. I already know that the government is not the answer, but i think some specific police patrols are in order.
If somebody really wants to kill themselves they will get the job done. But sometimes it takes prevention. There are many people who have tried to kill themselves 50 years ago and are living today, and is glad somebody stopped them.
So people are in a dark place in their lives and don't see a way out. So some times a little intervention goes a long way. People talk a bunch of garbage until it is one of their family members like their mother, wife or sister. Then it will be put 20 cops up there. Then it will be why wasn't there patrols up on that bridge, you could have talked my mom down. Ain't that right Roadie ?

What scars me about the bridge is, it is the number #1 suicide spot in the world. Not number #2 but it is number #1 from children to adults. I already know that the government is not the answer, but i think some specific police patrols are in order.
If somebody really wants to kill themselves they will get the job done. But sometimes it takes prevention. There are many people who have tried to kill themselves 50 years ago and are living today, and is glad somebody stopped them.
So people are in a dark place in their lives and don't see a way out. So some times a little intervention goes a long way. People talk a bunch of garbage until it is one of their family members like their mother, wife or sister. Then it will be put 20 cops up there. Then it will be why wasn't there patrols up on that bridge, you could have talked my mom down. Ain't that right Roadie ?
Agreed. For the #1 suicide spot in the world, you think they'd be able to do something.

Think about it. If they put 20 cops there, that would be about a million dollars a year in wages. Massively cheaper than a fence, and you get to keep your (so-called) nice looking bridge. But I'm going to mention the education word again. Police and fences should be supporting education, not the other way round.

Given the expressed "concern" over the issue here, you'd think some of the folks who claim to care about it so much would do something themselves. Instead they want someone else to fix the problem.

Given the expressed "concern" over the issue here, you'd think some of the folks who claim to care about it so much would do something themselves. Instead they want someone else to fix the problem.
in other words rather then say actually have a christian outreach or what not, they choose to let the "secular" methods work. police. Nick? yeah if i see the police i'm not going to tell them hey i'm feeling down. cops dont make good counselors.

on the education note , nick, theres so much money that is wasted, ie high school football games generate a TON of money, where does that go?

again i cant look at my local school board budget at all.

Considering I'm not a citizen of the United States, there's not that much that I can do. I'm more focused on things in my country. We do stuff like protests, sign petitions, write letters/emails, and tell the politians what we want with our vote. I've done a few of those in the past.

in other words rather then say actually have a christian outreach or what not, they choose to let the "secular" methods work. police. Nick? yeah if i see the police i'm not going to tell them hey i'm feeling down. cops dont make good counselors.
Yes, Christian outreach. I never said no to a Christian outreach.

Yes Jaosn. Police. Police should be trained for stuff like that. I'll check on Australian police on that one.

on the education note , nick, theres so much money that is wasted, ie high school football games generate a TON of money, where does that go?

again i cant look at my local school board budget at all.
Wasted money means there's even more need for reform.

Considering I'm not a citizen of the United States, there's not that much that I can do. I'm more focused on things in my country. We do stuff like protests, sign petitions, write letters/emails, and tell the politians what we want with our vote. I've done a few of those in the past.

Yes, Christian outreach. I never said no to a Christian outreach.

Yes Jaosn. Police. Police should be trained for stuff like that. I'll check on Australian police on that one.

Wasted money means there's even more need for reform.
police are already trained. would you go to a cop if you commited a crime and rather serve time in jail, you want to kill yourself.? that does happen.

nick, the govt has lied and lied to us on open govt, i would like to just see what the budgets do have and not have someone tell me this is what must be done. so that I can check if they are really telling me the truth. open govt means to me that the liars we put in office cant make backyard deals. the lotto here was supposed to stop this stuff(school closures and taxes increases, it didnt)

police are already trained. would you go to a cop if you commited a crime and rather serve time in jail, you want to kill yourself.? that does happen.

nick, the govt has lied and lied to us on open govt, i would like to just see what the budgets do have and not have someone tell me this is what must be done. so that I can check if they are really telling me the truth. open govt means to me that the liars we put in office cant make backyard deals. the lotto here was supposed to stop this stuff(school closures and taxes increases, it didnt)
With respect Jason, I'm not sure what that has to do with what I posted. I said that wasted money need reform. You reply with open governments :confused

The bridge is a public space, correct? (ie the bridge is not privately owned)

That was one of my main points in my first post in this thread. "If" this bridge was privately owned, the owner would need to cover his personal liability exposure. But it isn't. It's a public domain. I understand that this is the #1 site for suicides, but this doesn't change the fact that the government isn't responsible for protecting people from themselves. Our founding fathers established a government that would provide for the pursuit of happiness. It shouldn't be in the business of policing this aspect of our endeavors. Big government will always reach for more control. It's like a monster that will never be satisfied, so we need to restrain it.

I don't mean to be heartless about these lives, but the more people look to government as the answer to their problems, the more dependent they become on government, and the more government will cease control. Just let us live our lives and breathe! Protect us from foreign and domestic threats. Uphold the Constitution.

I just checked the golden gate bridge web site and “In May 2011, a contract award for the NET SYSTEM Final Design work is anticipated. This $5 million, 18-month final design effort is being funded by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) which, on July 28, 2010, allocated federal grant funding.â€

But “Funding to construct the NET SYSTEM (est. $45 million) is not identified, and current Board policy states that this funding will not come from Bridge toll revenues. Contributions towards this project may be sent to GGBHTD, P.O. Box 9000, Presidio Station, San Francisco, CA 94129, Attention: Accounting/Suicide Barrier.†So they are moving forward.

Alas, that does not solve the basic problem. There are a total of eight bridges in the bay area. To the best of my knowledge none have a barrier. IMO, it's partially the draw of this iconic bridge. Plus there are a lot of steps to carry it out; the walk to the jump point, the act of climbing over the rail, the last deep breath. All done in a very, VERY public place, once again in my opinion, it’s the final call for help. The problem is this world. As long as satan and his minions are whispering in the ears of non believers this will continue. The locations may change but it will continue. If you remove the bridge there are, sadly, still multiple options.

Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Barrier

Rocky, in that brief article, I can't tell what costs $5m what costs $45m. Please, somebody tell me tax payers didn't pay this company $5m to do the design!

Am I reading that wrong?

Mike I’m sorry to tell you this but “This $5 million, 18-month final design effort is being funded by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) [second paragraph]†is just the design. The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (Metropolitan Transportation Commission) is a state created and supported entity (click “overview†on the site). It is part of the price Californians pay to live in the golden state, Big Brother is everywhere.:shame

With respect Jason, I'm not sure what that has to do with what I posted. I said that wasted money need reform. You reply with open governments :confused
because in order to reform this the taxpayer needs to be that watchful. the money that is spent isnt even on the BUDGET! you cant look it up and see this is from a grant,lotto and etc here in my town. the same can be said with some other branches of govt.

that and we have been spending on programs that dont work and the left here wont cut them. not that cutting will solve this but at least try something else.

That was one of my main points in my first post in this thread. "If" this bridge was privately owned, the owner would need to cover his personal liability exposure. But it isn't. It's a public domain. I understand that this is the #1 site for suicides, but this doesn't change the fact that the government isn't responsible for protecting people from themselves. Our founding fathers established a government that would provide for the pursuit of happiness. It shouldn't be in the business of policing this aspect of our endeavors. Big government will always reach for more control. It's like a monster that will never be satisfied, so we need to restrain it.

I don't mean to be heartless about these lives, but the more people look to government as the answer to their problems, the more dependent they become on government, and the more government will cease control. Just let us live our lives and breathe! Protect us from foreign and domestic threats. Uphold the Constitution.
See here's where I don't get the American Psyche - the skepticism of governmetn that is replicated almost nowhere else in the Western culture.

So the bridge is publically owned. Government is in charge of public land, no?

because in order to reform this the taxpayer needs to be that watchful. the money that is spent isnt even on the BUDGET! you cant look it up and see this is from a grant,lotto and etc here in my town. the same can be said with some other branches of govt.

that and we have been spending on programs that dont work and the left here wont cut them. not that cutting will solve this but at least try something else.
Ok.

nick,if i described the characthers i have served with in the army(govt)and also do work for you dont want them being a lord over your life.

no way. would i want my boss as my personal life coach.lol. nick

i will put you through how much the govt owns me as if you dont know.

wake up and exercise(forced regimen)
if overweight diet is mandated
what i read in basic
what i drink to whether or not i can drink responsibly is irrevalant
where i can go if persons abuse off time in training see above
where i can go if estableshements are bad
if i mention that i have a hard time dealing with things. probably mandated some suicide training.needed for some but well war and its effects simply cant be pushed under and ignored.but that is another topic
who i date and what rank that can or cant be
who i hang out with while off duty

now then having had that in my life longer then nick life, why in the world would i want it in my civy life??

Last edited by a moderator:
nick,if i described the characthers i have served with in the army(govt)and also do work for you dont want them being a lord over your life.

no way. would i want my boss as my personal life coach.lol. nick

i will put you through how much the govt owns me as if you dont know.

wake up and exercise(forced regimen)
if overweight diet is mandated
what i read in basic
what i drink to whether or not i can drink responsibly is irrevalant
where i can go if persons abuse off time in training see above
where i can go if estableshements are bad
if i mention that i have a hard time dealing with things. probably mandated some suicide training.needed for some but well war and its effects simply cant be pushed under and ignored.but that is another topic
who i date and what rank that can or cant be
who i hang out with while off duty

now then having had that in my life longer then nick life, why in the world would i want it in my civy life??
You are describing to me a military life. You signed up to serve, and by doing so you surrendered some of your rights for the sake of others'. We're not talking about rights military personel have.

You are describing to me a military life. You signed up to serve, and by doing so you surrendered some of your rights for the sake of others'. We're not talking about rights military personel have.
yes but that is the reason some here dont want that level of control in their lives as that is exactly what you and those that agree would have.

do you agree that being overweight is bad? do you agree that certian things that the govt should be responsible for this? roads arent private in general here. i dont own the dirt road in front my house i pay for its grading in taxes. where does it stop? first suicide prevention and then what? that is why some dont like it. would you want the aussie govt monitoring your posts here and also what you say and do? just to see if you are suicidal.

yes but that is the reason some here dont want that level of control in their lives as that is exactly what you and those that agree would have.

do you agree that being overweight is bad? do you agree that certian things that the govt should be responsible for this? roads arent private in general here. i dont own the dirt road in front my house i pay for its grading in taxes. where does it stop? first suicide prevention and then what? that is why some dont like it. would you want the aussie govt monitoring your posts here and also what you say and do? just to see if you are suicidal.
No, that's not the point. Here is where the American psyche comes in. Most other Western countries are fine with governments trying to prevent civillian deaths, for instance seatbelt laws, fences to help prevent suicides etc. In many other countries in the world, these things are done without debate. And yes, governments have stopped there. I really do think this valid concern for governments overstepping the mark is either outdated, or it applies only in the United States.

Back