Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Government Wants Cars To Talk To Each Other

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There's already that feature in new cars that automatically applies the brakes if the driver is near to collision with an object. Eventually this latest feature in the article will come to pass.
There's smart phone apps now wherein someone can text another smart phone subscriber using that persons license plate as a contact point for the call. Genius! Texting while driving is illegal in most states, if not all now. And yet this application came to be after those laws started to be passed.
Then there's On-Star, that can not only track you in your car, but can control the vehicle and even lock you in your car after its caused the engine to die so that the car comes to a controlled steer rolling stop via the On-Star operator.
There's also that smart phone application, Find My Friend. No doubt picked up and tweaked to become software for other smart phone manufacturers by now. This application allows anyone with your cell phone number to enter it into their phone and find you at any time via GPS.

One day, if it isn't already a factor in high end vehicles, we'll have cars that are equipped with hidden interior surveillance capabilities. So that your activities inside your car are recorded visually and in audio. Oh, wait! That's been the case for years. On-Star. A GM subsidiary that, per the federal bail-out years ago, came under the fed's purview.

And next, in matters of domestic surveillance, 'smart TV's' . It's a reciprocal relationship. We watch TV and it watches us right back.stinkeye

Many people have my number. Thats a bit creepy. :couch
Tell me about it. I had a friend who broke up with her boyfriend but she didn't change her cell number. A few weeks later she notices this car that looks like that of his best friend across the street from a house where she's in a study group for school. Turns out, her ex gave his best friend her cell number and the best friend of her ex was checking up on her whereabouts. Stalking on behalf of the ex-boyfriend.Thinking stalking charges couldn't lead back to the ex because it wasn't actually him that was tracking her on a cell.

When someone can text you via your license plate now, that makes traffic jams a real opportunity for someone to have at those plates they can see.

"The technology is separate from automated safety features using sensors and radar that are already being built into some high-end vehicles today and which are seen as the basis for future self-driving cars. But government and industry officials see the two technologies as compatible. If continuous conversations between cars make driving safer, then self-driving cars would become safer as well."

Well intentioned, but a loss of control that I'd prefer not to see. There's got to be a Steven King novel in there somewhere.

But, hey, I don't even like automatic transmissions. :)

"The technology is separate from automated safety features using sensors and radar that are already being built into some high-end vehicles today and which are seen as the basis for future self-driving cars. But government and industry officials see the two technologies as compatible. If continuous conversations between cars make driving safer, then self-driving cars would become safer as well."

Well intentioned, but a loss of control that I'd prefer not to see. There's got to be a Steven King novel in there somewhere.
I'm sure. "The Car---revisited" :squint

Especially when that power steering belt breaks and all the sudden muscles you never knew you had get the workout you'd rather forget.

I got a recall notice on the transmission on my older model car just last week. Oh, this glitch could potentially kill you...we don't yet have the parts to fix it. But we'll contact you in near future when we do. :lol

I also don't like the fact that we're losing our privacy in all areas of life. Private and as consumers of products.

I'm sure. "The Car---revisited" :squint

Especially when that power steering belt breaks and all the sudden muscles you never knew you had get the workout you'd rather forget.

I got a recall notice on the transmission on my older model car just last week. Oh, this glitch could potentially kill you...we don't yet have the parts to fix it. But we'll contact you in near future when we do. :lol

I also don't like the fact that we're losing our privacy in all areas of life. Private and as consumers of products.

Had that experience just last month. Not fun.

Had that experience just last month. Not fun.
Especially not in heavy traffic at rush hour when you're in the center lane and your mom is in the passenger seat. "Chevy tough" ain't that tough to steer when it's your moms life on the line.

Sounds like you had your hands full there for awhile. My experience wasn't that dramatic, it wasn't a belt failure. The power steering cooling coil corroded through and I found all the fluid on my driveway one morning. Took me a few days to fix it, and in the meantime, well...

Sounds like you had your hands full there for awhile. My experience wasn't that dramatic, it wasn't a belt failure. The power steering cooling coil corroded through and I found all the fluid on my driveway one morning. Took me a few days to fix it, and in the meantime, well...
I wish mine had been that easy.
Let me tell you, a power steering belt break will wake you up in the morning. :lol Especially when you check your rear view mirror and see that there are semi-trucks behind you and in the right hand lane.
The cars might not be able to talk to each other at that moment, but boy was I talking to that car and those around me. :pray:confused2:biggrin

so you drive a stick, Honda automatics aren't true automatics and a cvt isn't considered an automatic. yes its self shifting but to get into that is a long explanation its a kin to a ten speed in how it works. yes a bike ten speed. that is an old idea from the 1930's

so you drive a stick, Honda automatics aren't true automatics and a cvt isn't considered an automatic. yes its self shifting but to get into that is a long explanation its a kin to a ten speed in how it works. yes a bike ten speed. that is an old idea from the 1930's

Yes, I far prefer driving manual transmission vehicles. I learned to drive on my dad's post-WWII surplus Jeep. Looked about like this, without the military markings.

PL35242.jpg

It was used for general farm work, including pulling a plow...when we weren't bouncing around the hills and through the woods with it.

Yes, I far prefer driving manual transmission vehicles. I learned to drive on my dad's post-WWII surplus Jeep. Looked about like this, without the military markings.

PL35242.jpg

It was used for general farm work, including pulling a plow...when we weren't bouncing around the hills and through the woods with it.
ouch those had no synchros. I never get of of third on the busy roads with all the stopping and going. I have over 181,000 miles on my truck. yes these tranny's make us a better driver, and the problem with technology is that when we are accustomed to automatic driving in that sensing of danger, we, when we loose that tech , wont be able to drive that. kinda like writing snail mail these days. ask a kid about that and he has no clue.

with the willey and any manual you really don't need the clutch to shift after first and only for reverse. ie shift by timing and feel of the engine. I know a few people who can drive like that.

with the willey and any manual you really don't need the clutch to shift after first and only for reverse. ie shift by timing and feel of the engine. I know a few people who can drive like that.

Yeah, power shifting. I used to do it a lot, especially on a motorcycle.

Yeah, power shifting. I used to do it a lot, especially on a motorcycle.
I would have to learn how to do that. believe it or not plenty of semis and buses and suchlike still can be driven that way. once you move them out of first you don't need the clutch brake nor clutch. just gotta to be able to time the engine with the tranny. a skill that is seldom taught these days. I sure don't have that skill.i know that my Nissan will allow me to power shift it. I have taken her out of gear in first and second and third without the use of the clutch. first is doable at 10 and second it was about 25 and third it was close to 40. been a while since I have done that.

I would have to learn how to do that. believe it or not plenty of semis and buses and suchlike still can be driven that way. once you move them out of first you don't need the clutch brake nor clutch. just gotta to be able to time the engine with the tranny. a skill that is seldom taught these days. I sure don't have that skill.i know that my Nissan will allow me to power shift it. I have taken her out of gear in first and second and third without the use of the clutch. first is doable at 10 and second it was about 25 and third it was close to 40. been a while since I have done that.

It's not too difficult to up shift, but down shifting takes a lot more delicate timing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back