Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Gravity ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That's a pretty bold statement to make without providing any reasoning for it! Do you have any kind of evidence at all, beyond simply the ignorance of the people of the time on these matters who may have referred to the earth as flat only because that was all they could comprehend from their limited vantage point?

it seems you are confused between round/circle and flat/level etc imho - twinc

it seems you are confused between round/circle and flat/level etc imho - twinc

Why not just post your evidence confirming the earth was flat before the flood?
shrug2.gif

And notice that nations fire spacecraft off as close to the equator as they can, and eastward, to gain as much momentum from the Earth's rotation as they can. It's very noticeable boost, and would not exist if the Earth was not rotating on its axis.

a bit like Alice in wonderland = the earth that is fixed and motionless is rotating and revolving clockwise - twinc

you said it was flat and had four corners - twinc
No, YOU said the earth was flat here:
the earth was, it seems, flat/even/smooth/level before the global flood - twinc
and you have failed to give any logic or reason for this idea even after being asked reasonable questions such as what would have caused the rivers to flow.

When people today use the term "four corners of the earth" everyone, at least everyone in the English speaking world, knows that's simply a figure of speach that means "everywhere on earth" and no one in their right mind thinks the person is really saying the earth is actually flat and literally has 4 corners! If I say it's raining cats and dogs, do you also assume that I'm literally claiming animals are falling out of the sky?

You are making outrageous statements and you refuse to provide any basis for them when asked. You refuse to give direct answers to other people's questions. This is a science forum and your statements are very unscientific. This is just silly.

No, YOU said the earth was flat here:
and you have failed to give any logic or reason for this idea even after being asked reasonable questions such as what would have caused the rivers to flow.

When people today use the term "four corners of the earth" everyone, at least everyone in the English speaking world, knows that's simply a figure of speach that means "everywhere on earth" and no one in their right mind thinks the person is really saying the earth is actually flat and literally has 4 corners! If I say it's raining cats and dogs, do you also assume that I'm literally claiming animals are falling out of the sky?

You are making outrageous statements and you refuse to provide any basis for them when asked. You refuse to give direct answers to other people's questions. This is a science forum and your statements are very unscientific. This is just silly.

of course you accuse me as being silly but I did not say the earth was flat - what I said was it was flat/even/level/smooth as per dictionary etc - btw ground level has nothing to do with water level or sea level imho and so rivers flow - twinc

you said it was flat and had four corners - twinc

Gary never said the earth was flat. He did use the phrase "the four corners of the earth", but that doesn't imply he believes it's flat. He was using a common phrase that means "everywhere on the earth". There are many such phrases that people don't mean literally, such as "sunrise", "I hate your guts" or "I love you with all my heart". People who say these things know that the sun doesn't revolve around the earth (well, most of them do), that they don't actually love with their hearts and they don't literally hate someone's intestines. Taking things hyper-literally when it's obvious that they weren't intended that way is not likely to lead to a good discussion and will actually hinder you in trying to get your point across.

The TOG​

of course you accuse me as being silly but I did not say the earth was flat - what I said was it was flat/even/level/smooth as per dictionary etc - btw ground level has nothing to do with water level or sea level imho and so rivers flow - twinc

Ground leve has nothing to do with water flowing? Then why does it ALWAYS flow downhill? If it isn't the ground level that makes rivers flow, what is it?

The TOG​

Ground leve has nothing to do with water flowing? Then why does it ALWAYS flow downhill? If it isn't the ground level that makes rivers flow, what is it?

The TOG​
ground level is above water level or else it would be water level - twinc

ground level is above water level or else it would be water level - twinc

There is obvioiusly ground under the water (the river bed). The fact that river bed is higher in one place than another is what makes the river flow, i.e. gravity pulls it downward. You stated earlier that the earth was "flat/even/smooth/level before the global flood". If it was flat, there would have been no difference in elevation, so rivers would not have flowed. Yet, the Bible tells us that they did. How do you explain that?

The TOG​

There is obvioiusly ground under the water (the river bed). The fact that river bed is higher in one place than another is what makes the river flow, i.e. gravity pulls it downward. You stated earlier that the earth was "flat/even/smooth/level before the global flood". If it was flat, there would have been no difference in elevation, so rivers would not have flowed. Yet, the Bible tells us that they did. How do you explain that?

The TOG​
There is also water under the ground. Does gravity bring it to the surface? I don't know if anyone brought this forth, but what of the four corners of the earth?

There is also water under the ground. Does gravity bring it to the surface? I don't know if anyone brought this forth, but what of the four corners of the earth?

The water undur the ground does come to the surface. The places where it does so are called "springs".

I addressed the phrase "four corners of the earth" in post 28. It's a phrase that means "everywhere on the earth", without implying that the speaker actually believes the earth is flat with four corners.

The TOG​

The water undur the ground does come to the surface. The places where it does so are called "springs".

I addressed the phrase "four corners of the earth" in post 28. It's a phrase that means "everywhere on the earth", without implying that the speaker actually believes the earth is flat with four corners.

The TOG​

the land or ground that the rivers flow on was above sea level - twinc

How can any place be above any other, if the earth was "flat, even, smooth and level. As soon as you have land being above sea level and variations in the altitude of the land enough to make water flow, then it is no longer flat, even, and level (though it can still be smooth).

The TOG​

The TOG​
artesian wells are what we call springs. they have pressure and need not be pumped. they are the cleanest source of water in florida naturaly. on well feeds a lake near Jacksonville florida and is always 60f. no matter summer or cold weather.google kingsley lake,camp blanding. its very clear and the bottom of the lake is unknown as far as depth

How can any place be above any other, if the earth was "flat, even, smooth and level. As soon as you have land being above sea level and variations in the altitude of the land enough to make water flow, then it is no longer flat, even, and level (though it can still be smooth).

The TOG​

what about the likes of the flat land in South Africa - Table mountain I think it is called - twinc

what about the likes of the flat land in South Africa - Table mountain I think it is called - twinc

Some pretty obvious elevation differences going on there.

Table-Mountain-Cape-Town.jpg

I don't think that can be described as flat, even, smooth and level.

The TOG​

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back