Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Greetings from Switzerland

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JJonas

After posting a few messages, I believe that it is time for me to introduce myself:

Over 20 years ago I became a christian as I was attending a charismatic youth group. My christian life has been since then a bit chaotic, where I quickly joined some sectarian groups, hoping to find genuine christian fellowship in a living church that is faithful to God. After a few years I realized my error and left these groups. Later, I got more and more involved in the charismatic movement.

For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. – 1. Cor. 2.2

Around 3 years ago, I started distancing myself from the charismatic movement. It started by reading a book from Charles Spurgeon (All of grace), a famous predicator that lived long before this movement existed. I was struck by how he preached the Cross with power (1 Co. 1:18), which helped me to understand how central the work of Christ on the Cross is to the christian life.

O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified? – Gal. 3.1

Afterwards, I quickly realized that in the center of the charismatic movement it wasn't the Cross, but a search after emotions, experiences, visions, signs and wonders. Moreover, many strange things (e.g. fire tunnels) happen in such circles, which should be refuted by the Bible, but this doesn't happen, because as a matter of fact the Bible has lost much of its authority, although people don't admit it openly.

Having for a while lost my focus from the Cross, I was held back with regards to come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ ...

... that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting – Eph 4.12-13

So, after many back and forth concerning the doctrines which I believed, and movements which I followed, what should give me the needed stability in my christian life in order to be rooted and built up in Christ (Col 2:7)?

Today, while I don't necessarily agree with all the reformed theology, I consider their 5 Solae to be a solid foundation for my faith that can prevent me to be tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine.

Sola Scriptura – Scriptures alone: The Bible is the final authority on everything. It judges and corrects my theology, not the other way around!
Solus Christus – Saved by Christ alone
Sola Gracia – Saved by grace alone
Sola Fide – Saved by faith alone
Soli Deo Gloria – To God only the glory. Not a man-centered Gospel, but a God-centered Gospel.

I hope that we will have a good time discussing together and edify one another!

After posting a few messages, I believe that it is time for me to introduce myself:

Over 20 years ago I became a christian as I was attending a charismatic youth group. My christian life has been since then a bit chaotic, where I quickly joined some sectarian groups, hoping to find genuine christian fellowship in a living church that is faithful to God. After a few years I realized my error and left these groups. Later, I got more and more involved in the charismatic movement.

For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. – 1. Cor. 2.2

Around 3 years ago, I started distancing myself from the charismatic movement. It started by reading a book from Charles Spurgeon (All of grace), a famous predicator that lived long before this movement existed. I was struck by how he preached the Cross with power (1 Co. 1:18), which helped me to understand how central the work of Christ on the Cross is to the christian life.

O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified? – Gal. 3.1

Afterwards, I quickly realized that in the center of the charismatic movement it wasn't the Cross, but a search after emotions, experiences, visions, signs and wonders. Moreover, many strange things (e.g. fire tunnels) happen in such circles, which should be refuted by the Bible, but this doesn't happen, because as a matter of fact the Bible has lost much of its authority, although people don't admit it openly.

Having for a while lost my focus from the Cross, I was held back with regards to come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ ...

... that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting – Eph 4.12-13

So, after many back and forth concerning the doctrines which I believed, and movements which I followed, what should give me the needed stability in my christian life in order to be rooted and built up in Christ (Col 2:7)?

Today, while I don't necessarily agree with all the reformed theology, I consider their 5 Solae to be a solid foundation for my faith that can prevent me to be tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine.

Sola Scriptura – Scriptures alone: The Bible is the final authority on everything. It judges and corrects my theology, not the other way around!
Soli Deo Gloria – To God only the glory. Not a man-centered Gospel, but a God-centered Gospel.

Do you see that if man is saved by Christ alone, then grace and faith are unnecessary ?
If we are saved by faith alone, then Christ and grace are unnecessary ?
All those things, and more, are necessary for salvation.
Start with repentance from sin !

…and welcome to the site !

Hi JJonas and welcome to CF :wave2

You stated: because as a matter of fact the Bible has lost much of its authority, although people don't admit it openly.

It's not the Bible being the very word of God that has lost its authority, it's man's traditional logical teachings of a carnal mind that takes authority over that which has already been written. (don't want to make this into a Bible study since this is the new member forum, but if someone wants to make a new thread they certainly can)

Looking forward with sharing with each other. God bless :)

This forum is for introduction.
If you want to discuss you should have this moved to Theology, the study of God or Apologetics, defending your faith.

This can be done.

Welcome to the forum @JJonas ! :wave2
Hi and welcome 🙏
Hello hawkman and Christ_empowered!
Thank you for the welcoming :)

What’s it like being a Christian in a progressive secular society?
It's like progressively harder and harder ;-).

Indeed what “progressive” represents is a progressive estrangement from God and from the christian values that used to be the foundation of our western society. Therefore, there are difficult days ahead of us!

Do you see that if man is saved by Christ alone, then grace and faith are unnecessary ?
If we are saved by faith alone, then Christ and grace are unnecessary ?
All those things, and more, are necessary for salvation.
Start with repentance from sin !
No I don't see it like that. We have everything in Christ (1 Cor 1:30)
But as GodsGrace wrote, let's use the appropriate forum, if we wish to further debate on that.

…and welcome to the site !
Thank you :)

This forum is for introduction.
If you want to discuss you should have this moved to Theology, the study of God or Apologetics, defending your faith.

This can be done.
I believed that showing how my faith was shaped through my experiences as a christian was a mean to introduce myself, so that people can see where I am coming from, and understand why I believe what I believe.

Hi @JJonas and welcome to CF :wave2
Thank you :)

You stated: because as a matter of fact the Bible has lost much of its authority, although people don't admit it openly.

It's not the Bible being the very word of God that has lost its authority, it's man's traditional logical teachings of a carnal mind that takes authority over that which has already been written. (don't want to make this into a Bible study since this is the new member forum, but if someone wants to make a new thread they certainly can)
Yes I agree. There was a misunderstanding: what I meant was that the Bible has lost much of its authority in people's eyes.

Looking forward with sharing with each other. God bless :)
Me too :)

It is up to you.
Perhaps you can title the thread...How many "alones" are there ?
At the moment there are enough debates going on for me. Moreover, as I just answered you in another thread, I am doubting that there is a common ground between us where we could debate in a way that could be edifying for us.

Hey All,
"You have learned well grasshopper." Quote from the old teacher in the TV series Kung Fu.

May I add one to your list?

unicus fiducia - sole assurance.
or
anima fiducia - soul assurance

Both fit.

John 10:27-29 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to some good discussion. Have fun.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

At the moment there are enough debates going on for me. Moreover, as I just answered you in another thread, I am doubting that there is a common ground between us where we could debate in a way that could be edifying for us.
OK, but I am always ready to discuss any differences we may have on most topics.

It is up to you.
Perhaps you can title the thread...How many "alones" are there ?
May I add one to your list?

unicus fiducia - sole assurance.
or
anima fiducia - soul assurance

Both fit.

John 10:27-29 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
Dear Hopeful and Josef. I just created this thread to discuss that: https://christianforums.net/threads...any-solae-“alones”-should-it-be-there.104056/

Back