Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sola Scriptura, Sola Gracia, etc: How many Solae (“alones”) should it be there?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JJonas

This is to discuss some objections made from Hopeful 2 and Josef in my introduction thread (https://christianforums.net/threads/greetings-from-switzerland.103964/)

First, I believe that “Sola Scriptura” be the foundation of all other Solae. Yes all other Solae find their justification in the Scripture.
The 5 historical Solae were to defend the faith against the perversions of the roman catholic church at the time:

Perversion of the FaithFaith according to the 5 Solae
Tradition and councils are said to have the same authority as Scripture, but ultimately undermine the authority of ScriptureSola Scriptura
Maria, the saints, the priests and the pope are mediators between us and God. Solus Christus
We deserve heaven with our own justice, efforts, works. Selling of indulgences. The priest forgives our sins and instruct us to the penances we have to perform, so that our sins will be forgiven.Sola Gracia
Sola Fide
People were boasting of their devotionsSoli Deo Gloria

Today, as the faith is attacked differently as formely, other Solae could make sense. However I find that the historical Solae express the essence of the Gospel with only a few words. OTOH, they are not Scripture! That means we cannot use a Sola to dismiss Scripture, e.g. to use “Sola Fide” against the fact that Scripture calls a faith dead without works (James 2:17)!

Do you see that if man is saved by Christ alone, then grace and faith are unnecessary ?
If we are saved by faith alone, then Christ and grace are unnecessary ?
All those things, and more, are necessary for salvation.
Start with repentance from sin !
I don't want to be part of a battle of words!
By grace alone, God gave His Son to provide redemption in Him, to all who believe (Rom. 3:24, John 3:16, Eph. 2:8). Grace, Faith, Work of Jesus in the Cross, they are all inseparable! You also can't separate the sun from its beams and its lighting and warming effects.

See also what I wrote in my post earlier:
  • Christ alone is an answer to the claim that Maria, the saints and the priests are also mediator between us and God
  • Faith alone is an answer to the claim that we also need to perform enough works to be justified in the eyes of God
  • Grace alone is an answer to the claim that we can merit heaven

Last edited:
May I add one to your list?

unicus fiducia - sole assurance.
or
anima fiducia - soul assurance

Both fit.

John 10:27-29 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
I have some objections:
  • This is a byproduct of the other Solae, because they express the reality that the Gospel is God-centered and not man-centered. In other words, our salvation is 100% God's work and 0% man's work, therefore we can be assured on our salvation, without having fear to come short. This is because we don't look at us, unreliable and helpless creatures, but we look at God, the rock of our salvation!
  • We could add many of such points, but then it will be a long list and no longer the short and sweet Solae that express the Gospel at its core.
  • Adding such a point in the list could be motivated to have a weapon against other christians that have a different view on whether we could lose our salvation or not, a secondary issue, instead as to have a weapon to defend the core of our common faith against the current attacks.

Last edited:
“Sola Scriptura” also means to me that philosophy, feelings or anything else subjective are no argument. If someone wants to convince that his idea is right, then it has to be backed by the Scripture! And not only that, his idea should also resists the testing with other Scriptures. Think also how the devil used Scripture to tempt Jesus, which he refuted with another Scripture (Matt 4:5-7)

T

Today, as the faith is attacked differently as formely, other Solae could make sense. However I find that the historical Solae express the essence of the Gospel with only a few words. OTOH, they are not Scripture! That means we cannot use a Sola to dismiss Scripture, e.g. to use “Sola Fide” against the fact that Scripture calls a faith dead without works (James 2:17)!
This is well said. Sola Scriptura is Scripture alone proves the doctrine and truth of Christ.

Neglecting, changing, or rejecting Scripture becomes 'Sola Self': one's own faith and doctrine alone.

For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, declaring good and evil.

They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new gods that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.

Denying Scripture to have faith, is denying the faith of Scripture for one's own faith alone: faith alone is dead, because it is without God. Sola Scripture is beleiving in the God of the Bible alone.

The only 'Sola' taught by Scripture, is Jesus alone.

And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.
Having faith alone to save and justify oneself, is not having faith in Jesus only.

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

“Sola Scriptura” also means to me that philosophy, feelings or anything else subjective are no argument. If someone wants to convince that his idea is right, then it has to be backed by the Scripture! And not only that, his idea should also resists the testing with other Scriptures. Think also how the devil used Scripture to tempt Jesus, which he refuted with another Scripture (Matt 4:5-7)
I agree JJonas. I did not object to what you wrote. The Soles or Solas are the great truths of the Bible. Why do we single them out? Because the truth makes us free. How do I know I am free? What assurance do I have that following Jesus is the right and only way?

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Jesus said this. If He doesn't want us to be assured of our eternal life, by believing in Him, why do you think He said this?

Also this:

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Salvation is a gift.

Romans 11:29
For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

God does not take His gifts back.
So can I be assured in my salvation?
Yes. The truth has made me free.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

I don't want to be part of a battle of words!
By grace alone, God gave His Son to provide redemption in Him, to all who believe (Rom. 3:24, John 3:16, Eph. 2:8). Grace, Faith, Work of Jesus in the Cross, they are all inseparable! You also can't separate the sun from its beams and its lighting and warming effects.
All together, and not alone.
See also what I wrote in my post earlier:
  • Christ alone is an answer to the claim that Maria, the saints and the priests are also mediator between us and God
  • Faith alone is an answer to the claim that we also need to perform enough works to be justified in the eyes of God
  • Grace alone is an answer to the claim that we can merit heaven
I see too many things working in tandem to subscribe to any "alone" doctrine.

Neglecting, changing, or rejecting Scripture becomes 'Sola Self': one's own faith and doctrine alone.
That's a good quote: 'Sola Self': one's own faith and doctrine alone!

And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.
Having faith alone to save and justify oneself, is not having faith in Jesus only.

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
This makes me remember, that there are many verses speaking about the obedience to Christ as a necessity, like: He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. (John 14:21)

I agree JJonas. I did not object to what you wrote. The Soles or Solas are the great truths of the Bible. Why do we single them out? Because the truth makes us free. How do I know I am free? What assurance do I have that following Jesus is the right and only way?

Jesus said this. If He doesn't want us to be assured of our eternal life, by believing in Him, why do you think He said this?

Also this:

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Salvation is a gift.

Romans 11:29
For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

God does not take His gifts back.
So can I be assured in my salvation?
Yes. The truth has made me free.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
I agree too! There are so many religions, where people aren't sure about going to be saved (or reincarnated to a better self), because they aren't sure if their good actions will have a greater weight than their bad actions. We can be assured of eternal life, because as you said, salvation is a gift, not something dependent on our works.

All together, and not alone.

I see too many things working in tandem to subscribe to any "alone" doctrine.
As I already wrote, I am not interested to take part in a battle of words, as this will profit no one!

Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers – 2 Tim 2:14

I did my best effort to expose what I meant, and you have to make do with it.

As I already wrote, I am not interested to take part in a battle of words, as this will profit no one!

Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers – 2 Tim 2:14

I did my best effort to expose what I meant, and you have to make do with it.
Faith without works is dead. (James 2:20)

That's a good quote: 'Sola Self': one's own faith and doctrine alone!

This makes me remember, that there are many verses speaking about the obedience to Christ as a necessity, like: He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. (John 14:21)
Unfortunately many Christians actually trust in what they believe, as the measure of their faith in God.

We must always come to Jesus and His words as little children, that have not already formed their own beliefs, so that we are always ready and able to change our hearts to conform to His truth.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back