Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Haiti.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

7ruth

I've heard a lot of talk about Haiti being intentionally destroyed because of how they practive voodoo and stuff. I have also heard something about them making a deal with the devil a long time ago or something I dont know.

All of these things seem a bit radical to me.

So my question is, can anyone show me a credibale source of proof that Haitians practice voodoo? Or mabye that deal with the devil if anyone knows about that?

Saying that Haiti was leveled because of the people's evil is true in a sense, but I think most people who say this think that they are somehow better. It is only because of God's mercy that any of us are spared. God would be perfectly just in obliterating all mankind from the earth because all people have rebelled against Him. Besides that, even Christians suffer, but that does not mean that they somehow did something to deserve it. Christians suffer persecution, are disciplined by God, and refined like gold in a fire, and this all entails pain. There were Christians who died in Haiti along with the wicked. There are churches in Haiti enduring great hardship there right now, but I am certain that God will work through them because of this suffering and they will be stronger as a result. Already I see God working in Haiti. The corrupt Haitian government is being scrutinized and may even be reformed and the North American churches have mobilized to bring aid to the people, along with the Gospel.
As for the voodoo part, I have heard that voodoo is common in Haiti. Voodoo is derived from African rituals that witch doctors and shamans would perform and was brought over with the Africans when they were enslaved by the Europeans. Here is a story I heard personally from a missionary to Haiti that our church supports:
The missionary travels on a boat around the island, preaching in the towns and then pulling out from the shore at night for security reasons. One night, a voodoo celebration of sorts was being performed in one of the towns he was at. While on the boat at night, he could actually feel it when the evil spirits were called by the people - and he was not the only one to feel it. At first it was very still, but then all the animals in the area started making a huge racket as if they were all afraid of something. The evil presence moved through the area and converged on the town. The missionary spent the night in prayer and reading the Bible. There was no way he would have been able to sleep. The experience was something he would never forget, but it also steeled his resolve to help the people and preach the Gospel.
I hope that provides some perspective on the Haiti situation. It is easy to think that we are somehow better because we are prosperous and there have been few disasters where we live, but that is wrong thinking. We should, instead, support Christians who are doing something about the disaster, whether it is providing shelter, medical aid, food, or the Gospel.

7ruth said:
I've heard a lot of talk about Haiti being intentionally destroyed because of how they practive voodoo and stuff. I have also heard something about them making a deal with the devil a long time ago or something I dont know.

All of these things seem a bit radical to me.

So my question is, can anyone show me a credibale source of proof that Haitians practice voodoo? Or mabye that deal with the devil if anyone knows about that?

Izzy said:
Saying that Haiti was leveled because of the people's evil is true in a sense, but I think most people who say this think that they are somehow better. It is only because of God's mercy that any of us are spared

I would definitely say that devastation like this has historical precedent for being done because of a people's sin, yet we are all sinful. Why they were singled out is not necessarily known. We got hit with Katrina though a few years back. Thinking on this topic recently I read a Scripture which agrees very much with what Izzy said about God's mercy and some thinking they are better or less sinful than others:

"There were present at that season some who told Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answered and said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were worse sinners than all other Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.†(Luke 13:1-3)

As for Voodoo, I do believe that, and I don't think it is limited to Haiti, and is possibly also in Jamaica and the Dominican Republic as well. In the past God has wiped out people for their evil deeds and I am inclined also to think that Pompeii was buried by volcanic ash also in a similar judgment for their lascivious lifestyle and worship of pagan gods.

izzy said:
Saying that Haiti was leveled because of the people's evil is true in a sense, but I think most people who say this think that they are somehow better.

Why are you judging people, including me? How do you know that these people think they are better? That's an unrighteous judgment. Why don't you judge what's right and give God glory for his judgments.

izzy said:
It is only because of God's mercy that any of us are spared. God would be perfectly just in obliterating all mankind from the earth because all people have rebelled against Him.

He plans to. Haiti was a warning to us all.

izzy said:
Besides that, even Christians suffer, but that does not mean that they somehow did something to deserve it. Christians suffer persecution, are disciplined by God, and refined like gold in a fire, and this all entails pain. There were Christians who died in Haiti along with the wicked. There are churches in Haiti enduring great hardship there right now, but I am certain that God will work through them because of this suffering and they will be stronger as a result.

Probably. But who knows except for God if that's true? He didn't send you or me to see how many righteous people were in Haiti before He destroyed it. One may have been hard pressed to find a single righteous man there in Haiti. That's been the case before.

izzy said:
I hope that provides some perspective on the Haiti situation. It is easy to think that we are somehow better because we are prosperous and there have been few disasters where we live, but that is wrong thinking. We should, instead, support Christians who are doing something about the disaster, whether it is providing shelter, medical aid, food, or the Gospel.

Once again you act as if you are the sole judge of how a man feels just because he has spoken of God's judgment. Remember that God will judge you with the measure you've judged others by.

Just to interject, it wasn't Haiti (being the entire nation) that was hit with the earthquake, it was Port Au Prince, which is IN Haiti. :thumb

Oh absolutely, I'm not contesting that at all. I'm just saying that the nation of Haiti was not destroyed, as the OP said. Crippled badly, yes, but not destroyed...Port Au Prince and surrounding cities were destroyed, but Haiti was not destroyed. That's all I'm saying :nod

ronniechoate34 said:
Why are you judging people, including me? How do you know that these people think they are better? That's an unrighteous judgment. Why don't you judge what's right and give God glory for his judgments.

For the record, if you read my post above I gave what I think is a Biblical principle from Luke for what Izzy was saying. Also, he didn't say that all people think that. I don't know why you would feel judged in any case. He wasn't trying to tell you what your opinion was. Just saying...

ronniechoate34 said:
One may have been hard pressed to find a single righteous man there in Haiti.
Keep in mind Romans 3:10:
As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one;

That includes you and me.

But that is obvious - as scripture clearly states.

But of course there were Christians in Haiti. I know of that fact.

I wonder how many of the multitudes of missionaries who are in and out of Haiti, preached repentance from sin and whoring after other gods to the Haitians? Who has blood on their hands?

Nick_29 said:

Do you know for a fact that they all worshiped in the truth?

I wonder how many true men of God there were. Lots of people claim to be Christian and aren't.

Also I know that I have sin that I need to be cleansed from.

destiny said:
I wonder how many of the multitudes of missionaries who are in and out of Haiti, preached repentance from sin and whoring after other gods to the Haitians? Who has blood on their hands?

Hopefully no one but I'm sure some people did.

Beware of sin. Don't get taken in it.

ronniechoate34 said:
Nick_29 said:

Do you know for a fact that they all worshiped in the truth?

I wonder how many true men of God there were. Lots of people claim to be Christian and aren't.

Also I know that I have sin that I need to be cleansed from.
I'm sure (sad as it is) tha many would not have worshipped in the truth, for a variety of reasons, but I highly doubt that there wasn't one true Christian in Haiti. That's my point.

Lets hope the rebuilding goes well, and the missionaries do their great work there. :)

Back