Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

happy holdays

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thank you very much Thomas! :clap
Have a happy and grateful Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas!
:amen

I love this time of year. Happy Thanksgiving, to all.

(I don't do Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving, but then watch out! The decorations go up, the non-stop Christmas music, the Advent services, etc. etc. I'll be the one in the red sweatshirt with the green Christmas tree and the jingle bells!)

handy said:
Wow! You get 6 weeks for Christmas in Australia!?! We only got 2 weeks. Lucky you!
:biggrin

But do you get longer holidays in July or any other time? btw I'm talking about school holidays.

Well, yes. We do have the long summer vacation. It starts a day or two after Memorial Day and winds up about a week before Labor Day. At least the traditional schools do this. There are a lot of schools going into the year-round school calendar and I for one am all for it!

its political incorrect now in america to say merry christmas, but who cares, merry christmas and happy thanksgiving.

I'm thankful that the roof got blown off the porch. So many needed repairs are now done and the inside of my house is freshly painted by a professional (something we couldn't have justified the expense for). All is ready for our Thanksgiving. Hey, even my oven is clean this year!

I'm also thankful for our new church home. We're still getting to know folks there, but boy the pastor delivered one really great sermon yesterday. Like a long drink of water after a trip across a dry desert.

See, we get long summer holidays here as well. Last week most days were over 35 degrees celcius and Friday and Sunday were above 40 degrees. :crazy.

I've never really 'got' Thanksgiving. What's the big deal?

Nick_29 said:

Oh Nick, Nick, Nick. Twould that you could experience the grand tradition of this holiday! But you're not alone. My brother-in-law is from England and he doesn't get it either.

Here is my summary of a typical Thanksgiving in America:

Friends and family gather together to eat. A lot. And watch football. And Thanksgiving sort of officially starts the Christmas season around here. We have "black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving) where people who have money to spend go hog-wild at the stores shopping for Christmas presents. Supposedly some good sales out there. I wouldn't know...I NEVER shop the day after Thanksgiving. But anyway, all of that happens because we are thankful for our freedoms. *grin*

JoJo said:
Nick_29 said:

Oh Nick, Nick, Nick. Twould that you could experience the grand tradition of this holiday! But you're not alone. My brother-in-law is from England and he doesn't get it either.

Here is my summary of a typical Thanksgiving in America:

Friends and family gather together to eat. A lot. And watch football. And Thanksgiving sort of officially starts the Christmas season around here. We have "black Friday" (the day after Thanksgiving) where people who have money to spend go hog-wild at the stores shopping for Christmas presents. Supposedly some good sales out there. I wouldn't know...I NEVER shop the day after Thanksgiving. But anyway, all of that happens because we are thankful for our freedoms. *grin*
Oh ok. So in essense it's a celebration of American freedom and capitalism?

Oh, and I think you're quite wise not shopping on that day...you'd get ripped off IMHO. If I was a shop owner, I'd put prices up that day ;)

Nick_29 said:
Oh, and I think you're quite wise not shopping on that day...you'd get ripped off IMHO. If I was a shop owner, I'd put prices up that day ;)

Not so much wisdom as always being broke!

Oh lord, black friday! I work in retail so It is a nightmare.

I'm seriously thinking of taking a tire iron in that morning. I'm not joking, its that bad. :shame

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back