Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Happy St.Patricks Day

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Kathi

saint_patricks_day29.gif
I have a fair amount of Irish in me.Ever had green beer?

When I used to drink I did like a glass of Hefeweizen.I have had green beer.I think they just put food coloring in it.

Who was Saint Patrick and why do we celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Question: "Who was Saint Patrick and why do we celebrate St. Patrick's Day?"

Answer:
The man eventually canonized as Saint Patrick by the Catholic Church was born to a wealthy family in AD 387 in Kilpatrick, Scotland. His real name was Maewyn Succat. It was his extensive missionary work in Ireland for which he is famous. During the thirty years of work there he supposedly converted over 135,000 people, established 300 churches, and consecrated 350 bishops. He died on March 17, 461.

History records that Saint Patrick, at age sixteen, was captured by Celtic raiders and spent several years as a slave in Ireland. It was during this time that he learned the various rituals, customs, and language of Celtic Druids. It was these people that he eventually converted to Catholicism. He apparently had a dream in which God spoke to him saying, “Your ship is ready.” Saint Patrick was then able to escape by ship back to Britain. Shortly thereafter, he experienced another dream in which he received a letter which claimed to be the “voice of the Irish.” When he opened it, he heard the voices of all those who he had met in Ireland begging him to return.

Saint Patrick then began a course of study to become ordained a bishop in the Catholic Church and returned to Ireland to establish the church. Though the task was difficult and dangerous, he persisted and was able to build a strong foundation for Christianity. The Irish people were receptive to his teachings, especially in light of the fact that he was able to take several of their Celtic symbols and Christianize them. The most prominent of these is the green shamrock, a certain type of clover. He used this plant, which was held sacred by the Druids, as a symbol of the Trinity. Additionally, Saint Patrick was instrumental in bringing alcohol to Ireland, which eventually had a significant impact upon the Irish culture.

Each year millions of people celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. It is a national holiday in Ireland when people do not work, but observe it in worship and family gatherings. In the United States, the first St. Patrick’s Day parade was held in New York on March 17, 1762. It consisted largely of Irish soldiers. Today, St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated by wearing green, which symbolizes the return of spring as well as the Irish culture. Also prominent in this celebration is green beer, pointing back to Saint Patrick’s introduction of alcohol to Ireland.

What started as a Catholic holiday became an official feast day in the 17th century. Since then, it has become a secular celebration of the Irish culture. Neither Saint Patrick nor St. Patrick’s Day is mentioned in Scripture. While we would strongly disagree of some of the aspects of Catholic theology that St. Patrick taught, the fact that around 1,600 years ago a man dedicated his life to proclaiming the gospel, resulting in tens of thousands coming to faith in Christ, is most definitely worth celebrating (Luke 15:7–10).

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/St-Patricks-Day.html#ixzz3UfWIcG8Q

St. Patrick was an apostle of Ireland. He rivaled Paul in his journeys and his hardships. He was a faithful shepherd of God's flock, planting the word of the Lord in pagan hearts. I find it interesting that the old serpent, the liar, the lord of mockery and perversions has twisted St. Patrick's memory and has turned it into a day of strong drink and festival. Long story short, Christians make an excuse to become pagans on this day. Crazy isn't it?!

This is a prayer penned by Saint Patrick himself, with the help of the Holy Spirit. I used to pray this in the mornings... I think I'm going to reintegrate that into my prayer life.

I bind unto myself today
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.

I bind this day to me for ever.
By power of faith, Christ's incarnation;
His baptism in the Jordan river;
His death on Cross for my salvation;
His bursting from the spiced tomb;
His riding up the heavenly way;
His coming at the day of doom;
I bind unto myself today.

I bind unto myself the power
Of the great love of the cherubim;
The sweet 'well done' in judgment hour,
The service of the seraphim,
Confessors' faith, Apostles' word,
The Patriarchs' prayers, the Prophets' scrolls,
All good deeds done unto the Lord,
And purity of virgin souls.

I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the starlit heaven,
The glorious sun's life-giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea,
Around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward,
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.

Against the demon snares of sin,
The vice that gives temptation force,
The natural lusts that war within,
The hostile men that mar my course;
Or few or many, far or nigh,
In every place and in all hours,
Against their fierce hostility,
I bind to me these holy powers.

Against all Satan's spells and wiles,
Against false words of heresy,
Against the knowledge that defiles,
Against the heart's idolatry,
Against the wizard's evil craft,
Against the death wound and the burning,
The choking wave and the poisoned shaft,
Protect me, Christ, till Thy returning.

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity;
By invocation of the same.
The Three in One, and One in Three,
Of Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.

Often people will follow this prayer up with Psalm 5. Very powerful.

That was beautiful Deb.Everytime I hear that song it brings tears to my eyes.It was my brother's favorite song and they played it at his memorial.
I love this song, too and can't sing it without getting choked up.
We were so lost, we are so found.
Happy St Patty's Day, Irish Lass

of the O'Rourke clan of the county near northern Ireland. I had to correct an irish lady today for wearing ORANGE! one doesn't wear ORANGE on this day.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back