Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Have you spoke in tongues, if not you are not saved

Is speaking in tongues needed to be saved

• Yes it is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
H

Henry

Baptism of the Holy Ghost
The baptism of the Holy Ghost is the birth of the Spirit (John 3:5). This spiritual baptism is necessary to put someone into the kingdom of God (God's church, the bride of Christ) and is evidenced by speaking in other tongues (other languages) as the Spirit of God give utterance.
It was prophesied by Joel (Joel 2:28-29) and Isaiah (Isaiah 28:11), foretold by John the Baptist (Matthew 3:11), purchased by the blood of Jesus, and promised by Him to His disciples (John 14:26; 15:16). The Holy Ghost was first poured out on the Day of Pentecost upon the Jews (Acts 2:1-4), then upon the Samaritans (Acts 8:17), and later upon the Gentiles (Acts 10:44-46; 19:6). "The proBaptism of the Holy Ghost
The baptism of the Holy Ghost is the birth of the Spirit (John 3:5). This spiritual baptism is necessary to put someone into the kingdom of God (God's church, the bride of Christ) and is evidenced by speaking in other tongues (other languages) as the Spirit of God give utterance.
It was prophesied by Joel (Joel 2:28-29) and Isaiah (Isaiah 28:11), foretold by John the Baptist (Matthew 3:11), purchased by the blood of Jesus, and promised by Him to His disciples (John 14:26; 15:16). The Holy Ghost was first poured out on the Day of Pentecost upon the Jews (Acts 2:1-4), then upon the Samaritans (Acts 8:17), and later upon the Gentiles (Acts 10:44-46; 19:6). "The promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call" (Acts 2:39).

Here is another doctrine right from the UPCI site, so that I can not be accised of making this up.

IN Johb 3 Jesus is talking with good ole nicho.. but he does not talk about and batism specifically, he talkes first about the new birth, and leads into faith in him saves, hence John 3:16. So while he does say we need to be reborn he does not talk about batism, this a docrtinal presumption made by the modolist.

Notice that in a few more words they say, evidenced by speaking in other tongues (other languages) as the Spirit of God give utterance, which they say was what joel was talking about, well if you read that particluar verse(S) he is talking about the Lord pouring out his spirit on all of us, however he does not mention speaking in other tongue, this is again a doctrinal presumption.
And actually though men did speak in tongues, it is never specifically said to be the evidence of the in fill.

Isaiah 28:11 here he says "with stammering lips and with another tongue will he speak to this people. Well this is nothing to do with Joels words or the day of pentocost, if you read the chapter, you will see clearly it used out of cantext to support this doctrine, which they do very often.

I love the Mathew 3:11 verse, when I read that I seed that John was really saying the water is nothing but the Holy Spirit is everything. However the modolist use this to say we have to speak in tongues which is their doctrine, even though in this verse John never mentions, nor does he ever mention tongues.

Actually if you read the verse used here to defend this doctrine, not one says we have to speakin tongeus and they are all out the context of the the text as they are written. The bottom line here that you have to batised in the spirit which wil be evidcened by the speaking in tongues, if not you do not go to heaven, do friends the gospel according to oneness, says that you who love JEsus and accept him but never spoke in tongues are still on your way to hell, faith in JEsus is not enought I geuss.

Anyways take the time to read these verses and see if you can get the same doctrine out it they do. mise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call" (Acts 2:39).[/u]

Jesus Never Spoke in Tongues......did he goto hell?

Well lets see the whole tongues thing was in order to be saved, and Jesus did not need to be saved, since he had not sin.

However in the Apostles creed they do say that he went to hell, though I am not too sure about that, but he went to let the prisoners go.

Anyways, I do not buy this stuff about tongues being a reqirement, I know bette, but there is some here who does, this was an attempt to start a dission on the matter.

But great point, about JEsus I will use that the next time, I am faced with this disscussion.

Havoc,

Tisk tisk somethings just aren't funny

I was baptized in a church where speaking in tongues was common. I don't know about most of the people here but I know the way I came to believe it was there was more than one way to recieve the batism of the holy ghost, speaking in tongues was just one of them. I never personally spoke in tongues but I do believe that it's possible.

Speaking in tongues is not A way of being baptised in the Holy Spirit, there is only one way, and that way it God.

Speaking in tongues is so musused and abused and for the most part hog wash.

I feel sorry for these poeople that think this pagan practice is spiritual and are fooled by it.

Speaking in toungues has a place in the church body according to scripture, but it isn't considered one of the 'greatest' gifts nor upheld as such. The Bible lays out how it is to be used within the body in I Cor.

Never is speaking in tongues elevated to the place of the Holy Spirit, you are filled with the Holy Spirit when you are born into the kingdom of God. (Born again)

We must be born again, not, we must speak in tongues.

People are taught that the Holy Spirit always maifests as tongues....Thats not true unless you reduce Jesus to only a small aspect of the giftings of His spirit. God is much too big for that box.

The way it goes is, if The Holy Spirit comes in me, then if I start to speak in tongues, then everyone in the world would understand what I say, no matter what tongue I spoke in, because The Holy Spirit would make everyone understand. But when people have spoken in tongues before, they have spoken gibberish, that no one understands. Therefore, speaking in tongues must refer to perhaps two things, either the person speaks more than one tongue, and/or, speaks the Truth which is universal, UNDERSTOOD BY ALL.

If we understand that the word 'tongue' in the Bible means no more than 'a foreign language' (Greek 'glossa') when describing an 'utterance', then no confusion over this issue should occur. What the Pentecostal Movement and off-shoots of this movement has done with 'tongues' is little short of blasphemy. While so many of these 'tongue-speaking' people might believe with all of their hearts that they are displaying an infilling of the Holy Spirit, the scriptures say very differently. As for today's increasingly popular 'doctrine' that 'speaking in tongues' equals an infilling of the Holy Spirit equals SALVATION ...that is downright dangerous. For those who have already fallen for this practice it may well by now have become an addiction and extremely difficult to lose. For those who haven't, they need to test this phenomena with the scriptures NOW as opposed to making the scriptures fit this practice later. The 'tongues' of today have nothing to do with scriptural tongues ...NOTHING!

I am too tired to go get scriptures, but if you search you will find it.

Tongues has many differnt meanings. But, in the Bible it CLEARLY says one form of tongues is not understood by man, it is the Holy Spirit speaking to God. No man can understand, only God can. When people give teh meaning of it, it's the Holy Spirit telling them what it meant.

Now, Tongues is also other things, but it HAS TO DO WITH the Holy Spirit. Not is the only thing.

If you are filled with the Holy Spirit you do not automatically speak in tongues, because geuss what? If you're saved you are filled with the Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues is just a sign that you are saved.

Many people teach false about speaking in tongues, but that's not to say speaking in tongues is wrong. Many people say speaking in tongues is false, but the Bible clearly states its a gift of God. Somne then argue its not for us today. Well I don't see in the Bible saying itsnot for us today or it stopped being for us.

I'll talk more when im not tired, I gotta go to bed bye.

Again:

Tongues as given by the Holy Spirit: were KNOWN languages of the world but 'unknown' to the speaker. 'Tongues' (languages) were not 'unknown' to the foreigner they were directed at.

The purpose of tongues (known languages): to enable those so gifted by the Holy Spirit to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ to the entire world with all of its diverse languages.

Who were given the gift of tongues (known languages)? Those who had the knowledge, the experience, and the teaching skills to preach the gospel to 'foreigners'. No point for the Holy Spirit to give this gift to someone who was scripturally inept.

What about tongues (known languages) today? While God can bestow any gift whenever He chooses, the gift of tongues (known languages) was given for a specific period of time for a specific reason. They were NEVER given merely for the individual to 'babble' for the sake of it as evidenced in some churches today. Today's 'tongues' have NOTHING at all to do with an infilling of the Holy Spirit. I'll stop short of saying that this phenomena is of Satan but it sure ain't of God. How do I know? The Bible tells me so.

sputnik,

I would like to see biblical support for any one of your claims. Well, I would like to see support for all of them, but even just one will do.

Sputnik, the Bible also clearly states speaking in tongues is known to no man but unto God.

Tongues has many differnt meanings. But, in the Bible it CLEARLY says one form of tongues is not understood by man, it is the Holy Spirit speaking to God. No man can understand, only God can. When people give the meaning of it, it's the Holy Spirit telling them what it meant.

No it doesn't the bible does not teach this at all, but sadly men have twisted what the bible does say for this silly doctrine.

Sorry, but anyone that is uttering nonsence which is not a language is merely uttering nonesence it is pure emotionalism.

Tongues of today are silly banter.

There are, that I know of, two tongues the Bible speaks of. One, as you have said, tongues everyone understands (in Matthew) and another, as I have said. He is proof of what I have said.

1 Corinthians 14:2 - For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

The HOLY SPIRIT speaketh mysteries, Your spirit. You speak to God which no man understands.

Free said:
sputnik,

I would like to see biblical support for any one of your claims. Well, I would like to see support for all of them, but even just one will do.

Sputnik: Pentecostal 'tongues' are a popular phenomena of the day. They are either true or false, scriptural or not. Whether you participate in this practice, condone this practice or are sitting on the fence in regard to this practice, would you present me with scriptures that at least seem to APPROVE of today's practice? Then I will most certainly discuss this issue with you or anyone else. Hint: You could begin with 1 Corinthians 13:1. In fact, some of 1 Corinthians 12, and much of 1 Corinthians 13 & 14 could be presented.

I'm not trying to shy away from the issue. On the contrary, I have absolutely no problem at going head to head with any professed 'tongue-speaker' today ...WITH the scriptures as my guide. It's just so much easier and less time consuming to respond to the VERY FEW texts that appear to support today's 'tongue-speakers'.

My first question BEFORE discussing this issue would be - a VERY important question: What exactly ARE today's 'tongues'? We need to know the EXACT nature of the issue that we're debating. Then we can take it from there. Again: What exactly ARE today's 'tongues'.

Julian Pyke said:
There are, that I know of, two tongues the Bible speaks of. One, as you have said, tongues everyone understands (in Matthew) and another, as I have said. He is proof of what I have said.

1 Corinthians 14:2 - For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

The HOLY SPIRIT speaketh mysteries, Your spirit. You speak to God which no man understands.

Sputnik: Sorry, my friend, you can't just pull out an odd text here and an odd text there and say, "Hey, just like I told you, today's Pentecostal 'tongues' are the genuine article." No way. Before we get to 1 Corinthians 12, 13, and 14, we need to see what scriptural tongues were, what they were ESTABLISHED as being before 'man' twisted the scriptures to suit an unholy practice. We need to go back to what Jesus Himself said in Luke 24:45-49. Don't let us jump the gun. This is what has caused this silly Pentecostal practice to have taken such a hold in the first place. Let us start at the very beginning and work our way through. Then we can make sense of a phenomena today that makes anything BUT sense!

Unclean spirit

If one is speaking in tongues then he is:

1. Unscriptural
2. Not of the Holy Spirit
3. Stealing foro his own personal use that which was meant for Israel
4. Walking by sight and not by faith
5. Ignoring I Cor. 1:22 and 14:22
6. Seeking fleshly experiences
7. Confused as a termite in a yoyo when it comes to what is meant for Israel and what is meant for the body of Christ.....and on top of that..
8. He always seems to choose his experience over sound doctrine when confronted. :o

Wasn't that fun? 8-)

God bless

Back