Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Heaven guaranteed !?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I’m not sure how going down the trail of eternal security differs from the OP. The scripture you quoted, 2 Pet 1:5,6,7,8,9 has the context of taking on God’s divine nature through knowledge of God, and of our Lord Jesus Christ. v2.

Having understanding of God’s word we will take on qualities, or fruit of the Holy Spirit having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. v4.

2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
:)
Which Peter says confirms your calling and election. It's how you know that you have the guarantee of the kingdom to come.

I don't see where it requires me to verbally ask for it.
I personally have never understood that to mean the asking is a literal requirement for salvation.

I've always thought the point was that salvation was given when one sincerely trusts God from the heart, trusting him to forgive, inviting him to come into their heart and take over their life.

I figured you were propping up the OSAS arguement somewhere in all of that :lol.
So anyway, for this thread I don't see any reason to visit the matter of whether or not someone can stop believing, and as a result not be walking in the qualities of the Spirit Peter describes, and still have the guarantee of the kingdom (or if it's really possible for someone to stop believing). It doesn't change the fact that it is believing, not 'working to earn', or 'unbelief' that secures the guarantee of the heavenly kingdom to come. Agreed? :)

Good Post!

It doesn't change the fact that it is believing, not 'working to earn', or 'unbelief' that secures the guarantee of the heavenly kingdom to come. Agreed?

I think that the word Believe, is not fully understood, in it's fullness in today's culture.

We seem to think the word "believe" is a one time, once and for all, mental consent that covers us for the rest of our life no matter what we do or say. As long as we "believe" in God. - ...Even the demons believe--and tremble! James 2:19

It think somewhere along the way, the word believe as Jesus and Paul taught, has lost some of it's original meaning.

Believing as expressed through the commitment of obedience, is different than "working to earn".

Of course the principle of "to whom much is given, much is expected" needs to be factored in as well.

A baby Christian is not expected to be led by the Spirit, and to manifest the fruit of the Spirit, as well as, show forth the obedience to walk in the virtue, and self control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness... that a more mature brother or sister in Christ is walking in.

It all comes back to the foundation that was laid in their life as a young Christian.

If they have been taught that believe is a one time mental acknowledgment that "Jesus died for your sins", and that's it for life, and furthermore you are guaranteed to "go to heaven" no matter what you do, because Jesus paid the price for all your sins so you never have to ask for forgiveness ever again because all your sins are forgiven no matter what you do.

If that is what they have been taught, then there is never any reason for them to:

• give all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge,to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness,to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.. 2 Peter 1:5-7
  • Exercise yourself towards godliness...
    But reject profane and old wives' fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness.
    For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.1 Timothy 4:7-8
  • Practice Righteousness... Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 1 John 3:7 - ... the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians 6:9
  • Purify yourself... And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. 1 John 3:3
  • Walk in the Spirit...
    I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
    17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
    18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
    19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
    20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
    21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:16-21
...just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

These are just a few of the things that many are not even considering as a requirement by God, because they have been taught that "believing" is a one time mental acknowledgement of Jesus, and even that is distorted into Jesus was a prophet, but not the Lord , or Jesus was the Messiah, a man, but is not The Lord God, or Jesus was an archangel...

A discussion of what "believe" really means and how it is used in scripture is much needed.

Example with Context: Believe is associated with committed obedience, and not just "mental acknowledgment".

Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;
but exhort one another daily, while it is called "Today," lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end,
while it is said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion."
For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?
Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness?
And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?
So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief. Hebrews 3:12-19

JLB

it is as stated at Jn.20:31 viz simply simply believe and as stated by Jesus not simple to simply simply believe[Mt.25:29] and [Jn.10:27-29] - so fear not little flock for it is your good fortune to be given the kingdom[Lk.12:32] - twinc

Thank you for the reference. That verse says "Confess with thy mouth and believe in thine heart." I don't see where it says that I must ask the Lord to come into my heart. I have believed that the Holy Spirit will indwell the believer who trusts in the Lord. I don't see where it requires me to verbally ask for it. God has already extended the invitation. It's a gift and all we have to do is accept it by faith. I will gladly accept the truth if I am in error if someone can show me where the scriptures say we must ask for Jesus to come into our heart.
Another thought came to my mind. As I was driving to work this morning and thinking about this, the following text came to mind.
Luke 15: NKJV
11 Then He said: “A certain man had two sons.
12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.’ So he divided to them his livelihood.
13 And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living.
14 But when he had spent all, there arose a severe famine in that land, and he began to be in want.
15 Then he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.
16 And he would gladly have filled his stomach with the pods that the swine ate, and no one gave him anything.
17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you,
19 and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.”’
20 “And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.
21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet.
23 And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry;
24 for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they began to be merry.
25 “Now his older son was in the field. And as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing.
26 So he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant.
27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and because he has received him safe and sound, your father has killed the fatted calf.’
28 “But he was angry and would not go in. Therefore his father came out and pleaded with him.
29 So he answered and said to his father, ‘Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends.
30 But as soon as this son of yours came, who has devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him.’
31 “And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours.
32 It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’”

While he was gone, in his fathers eyes, he was lost and dead (v24 and v32). When the son came to his senses, he came back to his father but he didn't ask his father to be allowed back into his family. He didn't have to. In fact, he said he was not worthy to be called his son (v21). Before the son even got close enough to be able to ask his father to be accepted back into the family, his father was already waiting for him with open arms (v20). The invitation was there and all the son had to do was accept it. His father rejoiced at his return just as "there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance." Luke 15:7 NKJV

We seem to think the word "believe" is a one time, once and for all, mental consent that covers us for the rest of our life no matter what we do or say.
There's something interesting in the John 5:24 passage that Eugene brought up....

"...he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life." (John 5:24 NASB)

'Believes' is in the Greek Perfect Tense, meaning it is an ongoing believing, not a one time believing completed in the past.

"The Greek present tense indicates continued action, something that happens continually or repeatedly, or something that is in the process of happening. If you say, for instance, "The sun is rising," you are talking about a process happening over a period of time, not an instantaneous event. The Greeks use the present tense to express this kind of continued action.

In contrast, Greek uses the aorist tense to show simple action. An aorist verb simply tells you that something happened, with no indication of how long it took. Aorist is like a snapshot; present is like a video." (http://ezraproject.com/id27.html)

So it is the video of our present believing, not the snapshot of a past believing that removes us from God's judgment and gives us eternal life in the kingdom of heaven.

There's something interesting in the John 5:24 passage that Eugene brought up....

"...he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life." (John 5:24 NASB)

'Believes' is in the Greek Perfect Tense, meaning it is an ongoing believing, not a one time believing completed in the past.

"The Greek present tense indicates continued action, something that happens continually or repeatedly, or something that is in the process of happening. If you say, for instance, "The sun is rising," you are talking about a process happening over a period of time, not an instantaneous event. The Greeks use the present tense to express this kind of continued action.

In contrast, Greek uses the aorist tense to show simple action. An aorist verb simply tells you that something happened, with no indication of how long it took. Aorist is like a snapshot; present is like a video." (http://ezraproject.com/id27.html)

So it is the video of our present believing, not the snapshot of a past believing that removes us from God's judgment and gives us eternal life in the kingdom of heaven.

Agreed.

Also, Hears My word, is a reference to the message from Him, as opposed to simple scripture.

Hearing Him, when He speaks... My sheep hear My Voice...

This understanding correlates to, Man shall not live by bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

JLB

Romans 10:9-10 Check out the different translations too.

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved .10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10 KJV

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Romans 10:9-10
NIV

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10 NKJV

9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
Romans 10:9-10 NASB

These all say pretty much say the same thing.

Believe with your heart, and confess with your mouth... Jesus is Lord! God raised Him from the dead!

The ask "Jesus into your heart" phrase is not here.

Jesus as your Lord carries a very in depth, life long commitment to Him, in obedience to serve Him in His Kingdom.

JLB

Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
I believe there have many fox-hole conversions.

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved .10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10 KJV

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Romans 10:9-10
NIV

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10 NKJV

9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
Romans 10:9-10 NASB

These all say pretty much say the same thing.

Believe with your heart, and confess with your mouth... Jesus is Lord! God raised Him from the dead!

The ask "Jesus into your heart" phrase is not here.

Jesus as your Lord carries a very in depth, life long commitment to Him, in obedience to serve Him in His Kingdom.

JLB

This is getting nuts.
When one says all you have to do is ask Jesus into your heart...........this is the ACTION OF DOING such as SAYING...SPEAKING....CONFESSING.......BELIEVING.......so by doing what is said in Romans 10:9-10 or John 3:16 and so many more places you have in sence ASKED JESUS INTO YOUR HEART.......

This is getting nuts.
When one says all you have to do is ask Jesus into your heart...........this is the ACTION OF DOING such as SAYING...SPEAKING....CONFESSING.......BELIEVING.......so by doing what is said in Romans 10:9-10 or John 3:16 and so many more places you have in sence ASKED JESUS INTO YOUR HEART.......

Not at all.

I simply asked you to provide the scripture, that's all.

Full Link here - http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/b.../is-it-biblical-to-ask-jesus-into-your-heart/

The Southern Baptist blogosphere has erupted in conversation on whether it’s proper to use phrases like “asking Jesus into your heart,” “accepting Christ,” or methods like the “sinner’s prayer” when sharing the gospel. Like many online conversations, this one has tended to generate more heat than light, and I get the feeling that good folks on both sides of this issue may be talking past one another.
This discussion over methods and terms has been bubbling under the surface for a good while now. A younger generation of pastors look out at the state of evangelicalism and are rightly concerned that many people with cultural Christianity in their background cling to assurance they are saved despite an overwhelming lack of evidence of genuine conversion. It’s no surprise that some pastors are blaming the methods and terms that became prevalent in the previous generation. That’s why we hear a pastor like David Platt consider a phrase like “asking Jesus into your heart” to be “dangerous” and “damning.”

The response to this critique has been to trot out the biblical and historical precedent for using such terminology. That’s not hard. The idea of “receiving Christ” is all over the New Testament. It is certainly a part of the good news that we are not only in Christ, but that Christ is in us. Pastor Steve Gaines’ rebuttal to David Platt, for example, focused on the biblical preponderance of such language and how it offers a full-orbed view of what takes place when a sinner places faith in Jesus Christ.

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/b.../is-it-biblical-to-ask-jesus-into-your-heart/

JLB

Here is another article on this subject, by another author -

ASK JESUS INTO YOUR HEART?

Many unclear and unscriptural terms are being used today in presenting the gospel. God's Word says, "Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech (II Corinthians 3:12)."

I believe our effectiveness in presenting the gospel is directly related to our clarity. If we are not clear, then how will anyone understand what we are saying? The Scripture says, "For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? So likewise you, except you utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? For you speak into the air (I Corinthians 14:8-9)." There are many uncertain and unclear sounds being spoken today in the name of Jesus Christ, and the result of ten times is confusion. We need to recognize that "God is not the author of confusion, but of peace (I Corinthians 14:33)." Satan therefore is getting the victory and Satan is the author of confusion.

One such term or expression is "Ask Jesus into your heart". The same expression is sometimes phrased, "Ask Jesus into your life", or "Invite Jesus into your heart". Nowhere does one find anything like this in the Bible. The Bible says, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved (Acts 16:31)." Why don't we use Bible terms? Why not drop the unclear ones?

I was raised on the phrase "Ask Jesus into your heart", and yet I was never saved. Every Sunday morning in the church that I was raised we sang a song called "Come Into My Heart, Lord Jesus". The words were as follows: "Into my heart, into my heart; Come into my heart, Lord Jesus." We sang this song every Sunday morning and were given the opportunity to "Invite Jesus into our hearts". Well, I sincerely invited Jesus into my heart each Sunday and yet I was not saved.

My theology was totally based on the words of the song. I would pray something like, "Lord, please come into my heart. If you came into my heart before and left, please come into my heart again. If you never came into my heart before, please come in for the first time. If you came in and left, please come back and stay." The song taught that Christ could come and go at will. I was confused and frustrated.

I invited Jesus into my heart at least 600 times, yet I was not saved because that message is not the gospel. I hardly missed a Sunday at church from the time I was six years old until I was eighteen years of age. To be fair, let's say that from the time I was six years old until I was eighteen on at least 50 Sundays a year I invited Jesus into my heart. Eighteen minus six is twelve years times fifty times a year equals 600 (six hundred) times that I invited Jesus into my heart. On at least 600 occasions I invited Jesus into my heart.

Not until after I had turned eighteen years of age did I understand that I had to believe the gospel message of the death, burial and resurrection in order to be saved. "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek (Romans 1:16)." I had never understood John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

In other words, "asking" is not what saves. A person must "believe", or trust that Jesus paid for his sins on the cross, was buried and rose again from the dead. In fact, a person can ask to be saved and not be saved.

Both thieves on the cross "asked" to be saved and yet only one was saved. The dying thief that was saved was saved because he trusted Christ as the one who was dying in his place on the cross and would rise again from the dead and head up a kingdom. No one has ever been saved any differently than that dying thief who simply trusted Christ as his Saviour.

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity (Matthew 7:22,23)." Many who were counting on being saved are lost according to the above verses. How tragic! They were lost because they were trusting in works and not trusting in Jesus Christ as their only hope for heaven.
What about Revelation 3:20? "Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." First of all, the verse (Revelation 3:20) is not talking about salvation but about having supper or fellowship with the Lord. Second, the door mentioned is the door (read the context of Revelation 3:14-22) of the church of Laodicea. This is not a reference to the door of the heart or the door of your life, etc.

We are often told (and wrongly so) that we have a door to our heart. We hear that the door has a latch on the inside but not on the outside. Christ is knocking on the outside but can not come in unless we unlatch the lock from the inside of the heart. The Scripture teaches no such thing. This is untrue. This is nonsense.

It is sad because children are very literal in their approach to things. They are left confused. They see a contradiction between what they learn in biology and what they hear in church. In biology they learn nothing about a door or latches on the heart.

The devil will do all he can to confuse the lost (II Corinthians 4:4). He will often use our unclear terminology to accomplish this. Why not go back to the Bible terms? "For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16).

Some will say, "I was saved by asking Jesus into my heart". Actually, they were saved in spite of asking Jesus into their heart, because they trusted Christ to save them. It is either that or they are not saved. In my case, I asked Jesus into my heart on at least 600 different occasions and was not saved, because I had never understood the gospel and had never TRUSTED Christ as my Saviour. I am pleading for the many who are confused and unsaved but thinking they are saved because of the use of this unscriptural expression: "Invite Jesus into your heart". Let's use "great plainness of speech". Let's go back to the Bible.

http://www.biblelineministries.org/articles/basearch.php3?action=full&mainkey=ASK JESUS INTO YOUR HEART?

Not at all.

I simply asked you to provide the scripture, that's all.

Full Link here - http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/b.../is-it-biblical-to-ask-jesus-into-your-heart/

The Southern Baptist blogosphere has erupted in conversation on whether it’s proper to use phrases like “asking Jesus into your heart,” “accepting Christ,” or methods like the “sinner’s prayer” when sharing the gospel. Like many online conversations, this one has tended to generate more heat than light, and I get the feeling that good folks on both sides of this issue may be talking past one another.
This discussion over methods and terms has been bubbling under the surface for a good while now. A younger generation of pastors look out at the state of evangelicalism and are rightly concerned that many people with cultural Christianity in their background cling to assurance they are saved despite an overwhelming lack of evidence of genuine conversion. It’s no surprise that some pastors are blaming the methods and terms that became prevalent in the previous generation. That’s why we hear a pastor like David Platt consider a phrase like “asking Jesus into your heart” to be “dangerous” and “damning.”

The response to this critique has been to trot out the biblical and historical precedent for using such terminology. That’s not hard. The idea of “receiving Christ” is all over the New Testament. It is certainly a part of the good news that we are not only in Christ, but that Christ is in us. Pastor Steve Gaines’ rebuttal to David Platt, for example, focused on the biblical preponderance of such language and how it offers a full-orbed view of what takes place when a sinner places faith in Jesus Christ.

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/b.../is-it-biblical-to-ask-jesus-into-your-heart/

JLB

Brother I meant this whole ordeal of is this the gospel or not this asking Jesus into your heart. rofl
It has and always be meant as an action statement..........if you do this and how do you do this ? You ask HIm to forgive you and you rtepent of your ways and you are speaking and believing hence asked jesus into your hearts.

you rtepent of your ways

I don't find "repent of your ways" or "repent of your sins" in the bible either.

I see where if you repent, your sins will be forgiven.

Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

and again -

Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,
Acts 3:19

Brother I meant this whole ordeal of is this the gospel or not this asking Jesus into your heart. rofl
It has and always be meant as an action statement..........if you do this and how do you do this ? You ask HIm to forgive you and you rtepent of your ways and you are speaking and believing hence asked jesus into your hearts.

I just don't see anywhere in scripture where we are told to ask Jesus into your heart.

JLB

I don't find "repent of your ways" or "repent of your sins" in the bible either.

Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

and again -

Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,

I just don't see anywhere in scripture where we are told to ask Jesus into your heart.

JLB

and again -

JLB

It is all the same thing.......perhaps these will help lol
View attachment 6285 View attachment 6286

I think it is important to tell people that simply believing in Jesus existence is not what it means to be saved or to be a Christian. A Christian is a follower of Christ. I believe that the "believing Jesus is real" part is something that is provided to everyone but, it is up to each person to put their trust in Him or not. There is a thread in the A&T forum where this is being discussed in more detail and scripture.

it seems that despite declarations to the contrary it is still believed that salvation is as a result of works and goodness and not as a result of righteousness in Christ and Christ alone and as at Jn.20:31 - watch for my posts 'Passport and password to Heaven' and also 'Parable re Bishop John' - twinc

it seems that despite declarations to the contrary it is still believed that salvation is as a result of works and goodness and not as a result of righteousness in Christ and Christ alone and as at Jn.20:31 - watch for my posts 'Passport and password to Heaven' and also 'Parable re Bishop John' - twinc

Could you please share a little about the righteousness of Christ, and how His righteousness becomes our righteousness.

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 1 John 3:7

Jesus was our example of righteousness, that is to say, doing what is right in God's eyes.

He did what He saw His Father do. He said what He heard His Father say.

Jesus was led by the Spirit.

The obedience of faith, is what makes us righteous.

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 1 John 3:7

Paul writes to the Christians in Galatia, and warns them that those among them who practice the unrighteous deeds of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I believe there is a balance that we need to understand concerning the righteousness of faith in Jesus Christ.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

The work of believing is the work of obedience.

Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:17

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back