Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Heaven helps those who help themselves

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The Lord helps those who help themselves.
This saying is not about salvation and justification.

So if you think that God will help you find a job without you doing anything, you can sit on the couch watching TCT or whatever........while you lose your home, starve, whatever. While all the time the Lord has opened doors you just won't get up and walk through them.

That is my understanding of this saying.

But if we are trusting and deepending on God, we will be led by the Spirit, so we wont be sat on the couch watching TCT or whatever or starving

But if we are trusting and deepending on God, we will be led by the Spirit, so we wont be sat on the couch watching TCT or whatever or starving

I love your answer. Indeed, there are spiritual and nonspiritual ways for the situation to evolve.

And the saying of the first post does not put God first.

I

That was my point. I said, "While all the time the Lord has opened doors, you just won't get up and walk through them."

I have known people who have done exactly that, sat at home and expected God to have someone knock on their door. When all the while if they had done the knocking God was faithful. They were depending on God to do it their way when He had something else in mind. So to me and how I have always heard this expression used it was in reference to this type of situation.
God will make the rain fall on your ground and the sun to shine but if you don't till the ground and plant the seed. NO TOMATOES

Are you familiar with this phrase: Heaven helps those who help themselves? Is it scriptural? :biggrinunno :shrug :confused
It is important to remember that we have a Covenant relationship with God. So we know if we do our part then we can know for sure God will do His part of the Covenant. Most all the promises of God are conditional. So we look to see what our part is. Even though it is "God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." This is what they mean by standing on the promises of God. There are many, many, many promises. An example is: "But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength." In this case our part is to trust in the Lord. Then His part is to give us strength. Another example is: " And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." Here we need to seek and to search for God with all your heart. Then we can be sure that we will find Him. " and I will turn away your captivity" Here we see He will set us free. So again our part is to seek and to search for Him with our whole heart. This is why it's important to know and to study our Bible so we can know what the promises of God are and what is available for us as Children of God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back