Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Heavy Soul Tie?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Sherri, I don't want to make anyone angry and I am certainly not accusing anyone of lying. We all are subject to misinformation and to applying our own flawed personal experiences rather than biblical truth. All of us do this, it's not an accusation of evildoing, just the reason why the Bible tells us that all of our righteousness is as filthy rags. Because we are so flawed and blinded by sin, and because our personal experiences are so strong, we tend to rely upon our feelings and experiences as truth, rather than doing exactly what Jason said and looking at the bible and lining up with it.

So, what is important here isn't to just run with the idea that "soul ties" are truth. I know that this kind of concept, being bound to another's soul through sex is a new age concept. It was something that kind of started showing up back in the 70's when the Age of Aquarius was the newest cool thing. A friend of my mom who was very into the occult and physic stuff talked about it...it was a concept that was pretty hand in hand with the sexual culture in San Fransisco at the time. (The friend was just a few blocks from Haight and Ashbury. "No need for marriage, our souls are tied by love and our sex is a beautiful thing..."

Believe me, it wasn't a concept that was being taught as Biblical truth back then. I haven't heard of it being touted as a Biblical concept until now, and I've been studying the Bible now for well over 30 years. I spent some time yesterday googling the concept and have yet to find solid biblical application to this issue. Some have taken the texts that apply to marriage and extrapolated the concept onto it, as well as the one text about Jonathan and David's friendship. But, the sites that I examined simply threw those texts out there in the manner of proof-texts without examining them to see if the interpretation being applied was in fact correct.

I have experiences too...my experience of being involved in a very destructive cult that used this kind of proof-texting being at the forefront of my mind, and rest assured, it's no lie that it's dangerous and destructive. We are given God's word for reasons, and one of the reasons is to make sure that what we are being taught is truth, by examining all things by the light of the Scriptures.

So, let's look at what the Bible actually teaches about this concept of souls being bound to each other via the act of sex.

Thank you Tina, for supplying a reference. I'll study it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back