Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Hebrew Names Connected to Jehovah

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
If you are referring to YHWH, Elohim, and Adonai as the three primary names, Elohim and Adonai are titles. YHWH (Yahweh) is His primary name.

Hi Jacob, All born again Christians know the deity of God. Knowing the correct names of God should be studied, but God is who he is. If He is not in your heart by rebirth (a new man in the image of Christ), Then we are nothing but a tinkling (brass) cymbal no matter how correct we pronounce His name. Below is a good study site. Let me know what you think.

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Hi Douglas,

My forum name is jocor, not Jacob. I am a believer in Messiah Yeshua who is in my heart via rebirth.
Thanks for the links. The article identifies the primary name YHWH and then lists several supposed names that have the name YHWH in them such as "The LORD my God" (YHWH Elohai). This is not another name, but the same name (YHWH) with a phrase that identifies an aspect of YHWH (my God). My dad's name was Frank. If I say to you, "Hi Douglas, this is Frank my father, does that mean my father's name is "Frank my father"? No. As I understand it, our Elohim has one name that he desires us to know Him by, YHWH.

Hi Douglas,

My forum name is jocor, not Jacob. I am a believer in Messiah Yeshua who is in my heart via rebirth.
Thanks for the links. The article identifies the primary name YHWH and then lists several supposed names that have the name YHWH in them such as "The LORD my God" (YHWH Elohai). This is not another name, but the same name (YHWH) with a phrase that identifies an aspect of YHWH (my God). My dad's name was Frank. If I say to you, "Hi Douglas, this is Frank my father, does that mean my father's name is "Frank my father"? No. As I understand it, our Elohim has one name that he desires us to know Him by, YHWH.[/QUOTE

Hi jacor,
I understand....really.

In Christ
Douglas Summers

The Hebrew name for the Lord is YHWH.

Jesus is the name above every name.

If you choose to Blaspheme the name of the Son of God, then that's between you and Him.

JLB
You just said that Jesus is the name of the Son of God, so what is the name of God the Father?

Here is just a small list. There are tons of them. Hallelujah is also derived from God's name it means praise Jah.

(Jesus) [Lat. form of the Gr. I·e·sousʹ, which corresponds to the Heb. Ye·shuʹaʽ or Yehoh·shuʹaʽ and means “Jehovah Is Salvation”].

(Abijah) [My Father Is Jehovah].

(Adonijah) [Jehovah Is Lord].

(Ahijah) [Jehovah Is (My) Brother].

(Azaliah) [Jehovah Has Proved Himself Distinguished].

(Elijah) [My God Is Jehovah].

(Isshijah) [Jah Makes Forget].

(Jehiah) [May He Live, O Jah!].

(Jehizkiah) [“May Jehovah Strengthen Me; Jehovah Has Strengthened Me”].

(Jehoahaz) [May Jehovah Take Hold]

(Jehohanan) [Jehovah Has Shown Favor; Jehovah Has Been Gracious].

(Jehoiada) [May Jehovah Know].

(Jehoiarib) [May Jehovah Contend]

(Jehonadab) [Jehovah Is Willing]

(Jehonathan) [Jehovah Has Given]

(Jehoram) [Jehovah Is High]

(Jehoshabeath) [Jehovah Is Plenty].

(Jehoshaphat) [Jehovah Is Judge].

(Jehosheba) [Jehovah Is Plenty].

(Jehoshua) [Jehovah Is Salvation].

(Jehucal) [Jehovah Is Able]

(Jehu) [possibly, Jehovah Is He].

(Jehucal) [Jehovah Is Able; Jehovah Prevails]

***** note to JLB*** You seem very upset about the use of Jehovah as God's name. I agree there is no J in Hebrew, but the name Jehovah probably became a popular English translation because the King James Bible uses it at Psalms 83:18. It is also fine to use Yahweh if you prefer. Jesus is not a correct translation of the tetragrammaton.
Psalm 83:18King James Version (KJV)
18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

***** note to JLB*** You seem very upset about the use of Jehovah as God's name. I agree there is no J in Hebrew, but the name Jehovah probably became a popular English translation because the King James Bible uses it at Psalms 83:18. It is also fine to use Yahweh if you prefer. Jesus is not a correct translation of the tetragrammaton.
18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.

Hoveh on the other hand means: 1st person, male, present tense - to be i.e. I AM - though written with a double vav

In modern Hebrew grammar this matter is so serious and important, that the verb ‘to be’ (‘I am’) is not used in the present tense at all!

Usage of the Hebrew verb ‘HOVEH’ (I am) would imply referring to oneself as being the Almighty!

Yah Hoveh would be closer to being correct.

Yah Hovah would mean; lord of wickedness.

Strong's # 1943 - hovah -

Definition
  1. ruin, disaster

from the root # 1942 - havvah

Definition
  1. desire
    1. desire (in bad sense)
  2. chasm (fig. of destruction)
    1. engulfing ruin, destruction, calamity

King James Word Usage - Total: 16
calamity 4, wickedness 3, perverse thing 1, mischief 1, noisome 1, iniquity 1, substance 1, naughtiness 1, naughty 1, mischievous 1

• Satan's desire is to be worshiped.
  • He was kicked out of heaven because he desired to sit on God's throne and be worshiped.
  • His power is in deception. His desire is to deceive people into worshiping him as God.

JLB

• Satan's desire is to be worshiped.
  • He was kicked out of heaven because he desired to sit on God's throne and be worshiped.
  • His power is in deception. His desire is to deceive people into worshiping him as God.
JLB

Where does the scripture say that Satan desires to be worshiped as God?
From the beginning in the garden the serpent did not seek some one to worship him. The goal of the serpent has been for you to elevate yourself above God.

From the beginning in the garden the serpent did not seek some one to worship him. The goal of the serpent has been for you to elevate yourself above God.

Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.” Matthew 4:8-8

JLB

Actually, it is German in origin. there is a long linguistic story behind it but the name did come from the German Scholars of old (1800s)

You just said that Jesus is the name of the Son of God, so what is the name of God the Father?

YHWH = Jesus.

YHWH the Lord saves.

11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. John 17:12

Why wouldn't God name His only Begotten Son, after Himself.

YHWH = God's name.

JLB

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the links. The article identifies the primary name YHWH and then lists several supposed names that have the name YHWH in them such as "The LORD my God" (YHWH Elohai). This is not another name, but the same name (YHWH) with a phrase that identifies an aspect of YHWH (my God). My dad's name was Frank. If I say to you, "Hi Douglas, this is Frank my father, does that mean my father's name is "Frank my father"? No. As I understand it, our Elohim has one name that he desires us to know Him by, YHWH.

Hi jacor. My Son and I love to speak of our God with His proper name. I was under the impression that His proper Name is YHVH, is that correct?

Joshua = YĕHoWsHuwa`- Strong’s Number: 3091

“YHWH is salvation” = the Lord is salvation

If you need to add some letters to YHWH add these-

YHWH = YeHoWsHuwa = Jesus

10 “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn.
Zechariah 12:10

YHWH is speaking through the mouth of Zechariah, and foretelling of His suffering to come.

11 searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. 1 Peter 1:11

The Spirit of Christ (YHWH) was in Zechariah... Speaking of His suffering to come.

JLB

YHWH = Jesus.

YHWH the Lord saves.

11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. John 17:12

Why wouldn't God name His only Begotten Son, after Himself.

YHWH = God's name.

JLB

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. KJV
This verse does not say the Father gave the Son His name. What distorted translation are you using?

Hi jacor. My Son and I love to speak of our God with His proper name. I was under the impression that His proper Name is YHVH, is that correct?

Hi Chopper. YHVH are the letters of His name. I prefer YHWH because, when pronounced, the V is not a hard consonant, but a soft vowel sound, "oo". From what I understand, the "V" comes from the Ashkenazic dialect whereas the "W" comes from the Sephardic dialect. When pronouncing each letter, I believe it sounds like
"ee ah oo eh". Spoken a little faster as in normal speech it sounds more like "Yahweh".

Jocor

Joshua = YĕHoWsHuwa`- Strong’s Number: 3091

Untrue. Strong's #3091 does not contain a second "H".

H3091
יהושׁע יהושׁוּע

[/QUOTE]YHWH = YeHoWsHuwa = Jesus[/QUOTE]

Untrue.
"Yehoshua" = Y-h-w-sh-a
"Yahweh" = Y-H-W-H

(Matt. 4: 8-9)

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.” Matthew 4:8-8

JLB

Very well. You have both managed to quoted to same verse in which you reference the temptation in the wildness, in which the devil said to Jesus if you will fall down and worship me. The devil tried to get Jesus to worship him, but Jesus would not.

edited violation of TOS
7) Do not post opinions of another member's claim of Christian faith. (ToS 2.4)
Publicly judging someone as not being a Christian and/or not following Christ unless they themselves claim not be a Christian is disallowed. That's between them and the Lord. This includes judgments against collective beliefs or groups in general. reba

Last edited by a moderator:
(Matt. 4: 8-9)

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Hi Leah, Yeshua (Jesus) is His Human name (The Son of Man). He is the second person of the trinity. His full name is Lord Jesus Christ. Lord is His Divine name, Jesus is His human name and Christ is His title. He is (Yeshua Messiah). In the Greek translation "Lord" is "Kurios". And in it carries all the primary names of YHVA (G-d) of the OT. The Lord is YHVA. In Scripture in the English translation, the name, not names, is The Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Matt. 28: 18-19)

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Very well. You have both managed to quoted to same verse in which you reference the temptation in the wildness, in which the devil said to Jesus if you will fall down and worship me. The devil tried to get Jesus to worship him, but Jesus would not.

edited violation of TOS
7) Do not post opinions of another member's claim of Christian faith. (ToS 2.4)
Publicly judging someone as not being a Christian and/or not following Christ unless they themselves claim not be a Christian is disallowed. That's between them and the Lord. This includes judgments against collective beliefs or groups in general. reba

Hi ez or reba, Was this violation meant for me? I do not remember saying some one was not a Christian?

In Christ
Douglas Summers

There is much profit in studying the Hebrew names connected to Jehovah, what they mean, and how they applied to the individuals bearing those names. Please search them out and add them to this thread. They all end in "-iah" (KJV) or "Yah".

We could begin with Isaiah (Strong's 3470). The Hebrew name is Yeshayah (yesh-ah-yow), and literally means "Jah has saved" hence "salvation of Jehovah". When you study the prophecy of Isaiah, that is precisely what you find. It is primarily about Christ -- Yeshua -- God is [our] Salvation, even though there are several prophecies pertaining to judgment. The Ethiopian eunuch was reading the Isaiah scroll and was saved through the ministry of Philip the evangelist (Acts 8:26-40). The Isaiah scroll dating from around 200 BC was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls and was almost identical to that of the Masoretic Text from 900 AD. No coincidence.

Malachi what a nice idea for a post. I feel sorry for you that it has been derailed. Why don't we read what Malachi asked us to do in this thread.
There is much profit in studying the Hebrew names connected to Jehovah, what they mean, and how they applied to the individuals bearing those names.Please search them out and add them to this thread.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back