Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hello & my question.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

rgswaim

I am new to this forum. I have had a question in the back of my mind all my adult life. Why do athiests spend so much time, energy and money fighting against something they believe not to exist?

I am new to this forum. I have had a question in the back of my mind all my adult life. Why do athiests spend so much time, energy and money fighting against something they believe not to exist?

ALN:

Hi; good to see you.

Your question seems kind of rhetorical. I guess the answer speaks for itself.

This is the real answer that I think only an atheist can answer. Why you would ask Christians to tell you what Atheists think is counter productive.

In the United States many Atheists grew up Christian. When many leave Christainity ( there are a few reasons some might leave it) many tend to want to explain why they left. Some manifest their opinions publicly and try to explain their positions.

This is coping device that helps us get over several things in our lives. Such as relationships, children in divorce, accidents, tragedies, etc. Just because the event or relationship ends, doesn't mean that the switch is immediately turned off. Many people have to work through and rewrite many parts of their lives depending on the weight of said topic.

There is also the part where Christianity is completely interwoven with US culture and politics. An Atheist can believe that the Christian God doesn't exist, but that doesn't mean that the followers and the politicians also disappear. That is still very much real.

I hope that helped.

Maybe it gives them something to do. You have to have a centering thing in your life and ours is going to church and or a faith in God.

Maybe it gives them meaning in life and a focal point to direct their lives.

Guessing, from what I hear from the likes of atheists like Richard Dawkins, it is because they dont want people to be indoctrinated with what they think is false.
Sadly they dont appreciate we dont want people being indoctrinated with what we think is false, atheism, either. But with our views comes the right to decide, with theirs comes exclusion from society.

Sadly they dont appreciate we dont want people being indoctrinated with what we think is false, atheism, either. But with our views comes the right to decide, with theirs comes exclusion from society.
Both give choice.

Also, unless you live in a modernized western Country, Christians are excluded from their societies as well. Especially in China, The middle East, India, Many African Nations, etc.

In its beginning Christianity was a pariah in Rome and suffered years of persecution until Christianity took over Rome.

Guessing, from what I hear from the likes of atheists like Richard Dawkins, it is because they dont want people to be indoctrinated with what they think is false.
They make a lot of money selling Atheist videos and books, its a great money maker. That would be one good reason to pursue it. You don't have to prove anything just entertain doubt.

They make a lot of money selling Atheist videos and books, its a great money maker.
Not really. Dawkins and Sam Harris also have positions as college professors. Many people have tried to get to Hitchens status, but there doesn’t seem to be many.

That would be one good reason to pursue it. You don't have to prove anything just entertain doubt.
As I stated, many of the most known speakers have titles they have to defend and do research for. Its not quite as easy as it sounds.

First of all, most atheists do not spend any time, energy, or money fighting any sort of faith expression.

Second, you assume atheists do not believe God (or perhaps another deity or force) to exist. This isn't the case, as there are atheists who believe strongly in God but do not identify or belong to any organized religion.

To answer your question for the small minority of nonbelieving atheists who do fight tooth and nail against religion, many probably have a political or sociological agenda. Others simply enjoy a good fight and have latched on to this one. Still others are angry at a Church or someone within it. And there's probably those who are a bit insecure about their own beliefs and need to prove their convictions to themselves.

Maybe it gives them something to do. You have to have a centering thing in your life and ours is going to church and or a faith in God.

Maybe it gives them meaning in life and a focal point to direct their lives.

Very funny.

i dont think many of them do, in fact i know a lot of Atheist and there so indifferent about Christianity it just doesnt matter to them

you tick them off sometimes, sometimes even i am ticked off by things said in this place and i just came to make friends and kill some time :lol if there are people who have their lives affected by something they are not a part of, they want to change it. like atheists want to make stately matters secular.

Because faith and it's politics are so intertwined with my life I can escape it f I wanted to. Evolution lectures, biology lessons, and even history pertaining to dinosaurs has all been under fire by religious groups who don't believe that happened.

If someone doesn't say something, then the world will be shaped by thoughts and opinions instead of facts.

Truth exists independent of belief or opinions.

Because they are serving Satan

No. Well, I don't think I'm serving him. He never told me anything, so I'll assume I'm not. I don't really know what he can do though, so maybe I'm doing it subconsciously? I'm not an authority on this stuff so I may be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome:)

A lot of Atheists feel that "religion" is the single biggest cause of problems in the world, thus they do a lot to fight it. (Or perhaps a better term for that brand of Atheists would be "anti-theists".)
It's up to us to demonstrate that this is not the case. (If you ask me, the biggest cause of problems in the world is human nature.)

I don't think they're serving Satan. They don't even believe the guy exists.
I do think Satan will do what he can to encourage anything that discourages people from a relationship with God, though.

Truth exists independent of belief or opinions.
With the risk of going off-topic, thank you so much for saying this. :clap A lot of people will tell me that "truth is relative". That just doesn't make sense to me. Logically, it seems that it is only our perception of truth that is relative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Many people believe in "not believing", and they seek validation in what they don't believe, just as some people seek validation in what they believe. Which begs the question; does anyone who spends such effort "voicing" for what they say they believe really believe it to begin with?

After all, if you believe in something, even if it's nothing, isn't it then just self evident? What motive beyond fellowship is there to find others who believe it also if you can't change what is already self evident to them?

Protection? Comfort? Some avoidance of danger or harm? :chin Fear? I think the motives are in there some place, but if we apply that to atheist, then we can also apply that to anyone who claims a belief in anything, yet feels the need to push others to believe it, or that what is believed needs a defense since it's only self evident to those who believe it .......:eeeekkk it's not logical is it? and it goes both ways.

If Christians believe what we believe then it should not matter if Atheist believe what they don't believe, and if Atheist believe what they don't believe it should not matter if Christians believe what they believe.......unless of course anyone is unsure about what they say they believe........:chin If that's the case, I think we should voice in what we are unsure of, if anything so that we can test what we are sure of.

Many people believe in "not believing", and they seek validation in what they don't believe, just as some people seek validation in what they believe. Which begs the question; does anyone who spends such effort "voicing" for what they say they believe really believe it to begin with?

After all, if you believe in something, even if it's nothing, isn't it then just self evident? What motive beyond fellowship is there to find others who believe it also if you can't change what is already self evident to them?

Protection? Comfort? Some avoidance of danger or harm? :chin Fear? I think the motives are in there some place, but if we apply that to atheist, then we can also apply that to anyone who claims a belief in anything, yet feels the need to push others to believe it, or that what is believed needs a defense since it's only self evident to those who believe it .......:eeeekkk it's not logical is it? and it goes both ways.

If Christians believe what we believe then it should not matter if Atheist believe what they don't believe, and if Atheist believe what they don't believe it should not matter if Christians believe what they believe.......unless of course anyone is unsure about what they say they believe........:chin If that's the case, I think we should voice in what we are unsure of, if anything so that we can test what we are sure of.

Danus is green. Woooooow. ;)

Let's see how fond of the 'delete keys' you're gonna be :chin

They are selfish.

Back