Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Help With a Routine

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Pard

So, I need to get int physical shape. Do to some terrible habits, I don't think my current physical shape would allow me to even pass the basic CHIP agility test required by the State of Connecticut for all potential police applicants.

The test has a few parts to it:

1.) Run 1.5 miles in 11 minutes, 49 seconds
2.) Bench press 1.06 times your body weight exactly one time
3.) Perform 40 sit-ups in less than a single minute
4.) Achieve at least a 17.5 on the sit-and-reach

For baseline purposes, let's assume that I am the worst runner in the entire world... Last time I did a timed run (about three years ago) it took me nearly 12 minutes just to get a single mile.

Bench pressing, I'm pretty alright at that, but 200+ lbs isn't yet within my reach, this is probably the thing I need the least amount of help with.

Sit-ups. Lord, I hate these stupid things. They don't even show what they are intended to show. I did twenty, pretty sloppy ones, on Friday and I was feeling it after the first ten.

Sit-and-reach. Just gotta work on stretching. I am currently taking karate, that ought to help me out. I used to take karate and man was I flexible.

Exercise wise, I currently take four one-hour karate classes a week. I try to walk the dog everyday, our route is about 3 miles long. I go to the gym when I can, usually I just do the treadmill and elliptical and stair machine. Wish they had a rowing machine...

Pretty much, I'm just looking for some help with a routine that will get me to those above goals and then some (the police academy physical is even tougher). I'll look into what the CT police academy requires for the physical testing.

I took Weight Training last semester as my Physical Education requirement and wow was it wonderful!

The thing that it taught me the most was that you can do just about anything in 3 weeks. If you stick to a routine for a minimum of 21 days you will see that you have gained (1) stamina (2) endurance, and (3) muscle. This will definitely give you the push you need to be dedicated.

I'm not sure if I can actually offer any advice on a routine, but I can offer this, and that is the nutrional aspect is just as important.

You can work your outout till you can barely walk, but if you eat junk food/fast/food etc. you'll have very little success.

Fore core exercises, try other things besides sit-ups. Do planks. Where you get into a pushup position and just hold yourself steady. You'll really feel your abs start to work and tighten. Mtn. Climbers are another good core training exercise. I know you have to do 40 sit-ups in a minute, but I've found doing sit-ups don't really improve your sit-ups. It sounds backwards, but that's what I've found.

Best of wishes to you, Pard, in reaching your physical goals! :)

if it wouldnt cost soo much. do mma. most of that is what i have to do for the army pt test and i barely did any of the training the army way.i passed

Wow, the physical tests in America are a lot tougher than the ones here in Canada. I know someone who worked in the army reserves for a summer, and he said the only requirement for the Canadian Army was to do 19 push ups, no time limit.

I'm afraid I can't offer you any advice though, I'm one of the least in shape people that I know. Good luck with your agility test though!

I think I'll just stick to Kenpo for now! MMA looks a bit rough for my taste.
its not, watch some of the classes before you start(like traditional arts theres those that are too rough on students and or jerks) i have a big back issue and i can handle bjj and i know i can do stand up.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back