Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hermeneutics vs Faith...A closer Look

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Edward

2024 Supporter
Now in Choppers rapture thread Free made a point which brought to mind a question in my mind. I didn't want to disrespect Chopper's intended flow of the thread by posing this question there, since it is not of a 6 scripture response to the thread. So I decided to start a new thread on the subject, and a good topic it is I believe. One which we can explore and consider the different aspects of bible study and the best way to go about it and so forth. Here is the statement made in the other thread which made me start thinking and questioning.

Brother Mike had posed this question to Free:
Does Hermeneutics make you add that to the scripture Free?/

This was the response:

If, in the cultural context, to the original audience, Paul meant that we will meet Jesus in the "air" (that is another discussion in itself), and return to earth with him, then that is precisely how it is to be understood. It simply would not make sense for it to mean two completely different things to two different groups of people, at different times in history. If that can be the case, then it could mean innumerable things, depending on to whom and at what point in history.

This is precisely why hermeneutics are absolutely necessary.

This is very interesting, and Free's response that hermeneutics are necessary is in no way invalid or untrue. He makes a good point, a very good point. If we do not have comprehension and interpret the scriptures properly then we may as well not read for we will get nothing out of it. That's a given. Absolutely!

As with everything in life and especially scripture, we should take into account the rest of scripture which has to do with the subject so that a proper perspective can be reached and it becomes wisdom rather that just being knowledgeable. Are you with me on that?

So let's take a look at a couple other scriptures and I will make a point and ask a question.

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths./(KJV)

Trust (have faith!) in the Lord and lean not to thine own understanding. This tells me to trust the Lord to reveal the truth to me moreso than my intellect. If I acknowledge Him in this way, He WILL direct me into a greater understanding of the truth and His ways. We may as well take this as a promise for it is written. Now, of course this would not be something that we would want to take to extemes. We can't be an absolute illiterate and expect to be able to open the bible and get much out of it.

1 John 2:26-27
26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him./(KJV)

And for a slightly different wording for potential clarification, I give you the same verses from the NIV:

26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray.27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him./(NIV)

Now this tells us something. It tells me, that one does not need bible college, other men's perspective, any teachers, other men's writings or commentaries, and so forth. One can literally read the scriptures on their own, pray for illumination from the Spirit, and grow wiser in the Lord. I did this for quite awhile myself. After I had my vehicle accident and was in recovery for a long time. It brought me very close to the Lord, but I must admit, personally, I do like getting other men's perspective at times because many times they may make a statement which I have not thought of. Writings also, but the point is made that one really does not need to.

Another thing which we may consider is our belief. Is it in our head or in our heart? Of course it is in our heart. I believe that there are many unseen things operating in our world that are absolutely real and we should keep this mind as a fact. Indeed, faith itself is an unseen thing which plays a huge part in our belief and salvation.

My point is that,
In my mind, there is no reason whatsoever for us to make light of it while we pursue our edification the Lord and put too much emphasis on intellect or hermeneutics. It may feel weird for us to look to the supernatural for learning, but we should do it.

My question is: How much importance should we put on hermeneutics? How important do you feel it is? What about faith and the Holy Spirit to teach us?

Hermeneutics is important, I am not denying that, but at what point do we look to the Lord and tell ourselves, have faith do not lean on my own understanding? Can it be taken too far?

:thinking

The word simply means interpretation.

Everyone interprets what they hear and read, Scripture or not, in particular ways.

Yes, Proverbs 3:5 is a great verse.

Is that to say that if an interpretation is different from that of in the past it is a wrong interpretation?

I think people should try to learn the language of the bible if they want a deeper truth and understanding.

Obviously faith is more important than hermeneutics. Faith in the Holy Spirit is what guides you into truths.

How much of what we post here daily is not carrying our own cultural spin?
Some simple thoughts
Most folks today think of the word scribe as something one would do like score a line . It does not take away one bit from scripture to know that 2000 years ago a scribe was a guy doing the actual writing.
What does it mean When Jesus says go the second mile...
it is the understanding of the 'rights' of the Roman solders of the day that explains it.

In grasping some of The Revelation it is nice to understand the weddings of time it was written...

Never putting our own knowledge in front of the Holy Spirit..

Great thread Edward...:)

Is that to say that if an interpretation is different from that of in the past it is a wrong interpretation?

I think people should try to learn the language of the bible if they want a deeper truth and understanding.

Obviously faith is more important than hermeneutics. Faith in the Holy Spirit is what guides you into truths.

I don't quite understand.

It might be easier if folk used the word 'interpretation' instead of 'hermeneutics'. Everyone interprets words in some way or another. (Literally, symbolically, alegorically, ironically, etc.) I'm a great believer in sticking fairly closely to literally interpreting Scripture where possible.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back