Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hey Guys

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

Silverchild79

long time,

I will not misrepresent myself to you. I am no longer Christian once again. I was an Agnostic until July of last year, then I accepted Jesus and began reading the Bible. Then the strangest thing happened...

I found verse after verse which spoke against my heart, things I couldn't simply put away (as any Christian must assume that everything in the New Testament is Holy). While I understand, no, even agree that we must surrender our on opinions to God I felt myself in conflict based on not what I thought was right, but what I felt was right in my heart.

Do not misunderstand me, your devotion is admirable. While we may disagree on the complete word of God I would say we are closer then we are different. But to believe that Jesus's body of work, the testament he and his deciples taught was in fact the perfect word of God is a leap of faith I cannot take. When inspecting a Diamond for perfection we do not look to see if it is generally good, we search it in it's whole for the most minute scratch or imperfection. And in that inspection the New Testament has failed me not by my mind but by my heart.

Tank you all for your companionship, I hope you will continue to suffer me

Cam

May we ask what those 'imperfections' are that you believe you have found?

Cam,

I hope you don't leave the board. Your post reminded me of Acts 17.

18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.
19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?
20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean.
21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.)
22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

The Bereans earlier in this chapter searched the Scriptures when Paul spoke to them to see if Christ was truly the Messiah. I think it is important to our faith to search Scriptures, even if Paul is speaking. :wink: Maybe if you could answer ALone's question then he, and others, could guide you some.

Faith is rooted in the Living Word, Jesus, and He will guide you if you keep searching...in faith. It may be through other believers, or by anything really...down to our worst trial. Consider verse 27 here...If we are seeking Him, we are actually desperately groping for Him in utter darkness, but He is nearer than we think and we are bound to find Him being so close. Salvation is not a new fad, or philosophy, but rather Truth. It will not waiver, though we may. I realize that Paul is speaking about idols in the verses following, but what he is saying is that we have life because of God, our Father and Lifegiver, and He can not be fashioned by man's device...even those that exist only in our minds (which knowing we don't have the answers are generally guesses, lies, and deceit, unless they are God's Truth alone). Please do not let a few early doubts keep you from walking with your Father. Do not feel as if He must measure up to your thoughts, or understanding, but step in faith and trust Him with your life. Trust Him with your education and sanctification, because it is a relational process and you are just getting to know Him. Take your time, and see if He is not able to guide you with His Holy Spirit and Word. If God is real, then aren't His thoughts and plans far above our own, and aren't we hasty if we walk away without truly trying to know Him...to grope after Him? He can actually strengthen your faith during times of doubt, if you don't give up searching, trusting, and resting in Him. Those who seek Him, do it desperately, because they know He is very near. I am not saying check your mind at the door, but what I am saying is reach beyond it and see through eyes of faith...those questions may be answered, and those answers once found will be a Truth that you posess in your own heart with deep conviction. It must be in His way, and in His time, and through much more guidance by the Spirit, the church, and the Word than you have had so far I think. I have been a believer since about three, and at 36 I still feel as if I am just starting to know Him, and to trust Him...I imagine at 86 I will feel just the same way...maybe I will feel that way for all eternity even.

I would encourage you to read C.S. Lewis's books, if you haven't already. I don't usually suggest commentary, but he was a brother who searched. Please don't search for only a short time, and then reject, but first be satisfied that you have searched the way Paul explains, like groping for Him. Lewis said that our reach must exceed our grasp, it's humbling to think we can't know it all, but comforting to know that God does...this is faith. I hope this encourages you. The Lord bless you.

Cam
First and foremost, I would like to say, that I respect ''your'' decision... After all,
God has given each of us the freedom to choose to believe or not...I also know that it is only God who saves folks and it is the Holy Spirit who speaks to us and helps us in our weakness to understand...

I read what Lovely wrote and yes, C.S. Lewis mere Christianity would be a great read....

Well, Cam...I would very much be interested in hearing of those passages that troubled you....Perhaps if your willing to take the time and share them with us, many and certainly I would love to spend the time with you sharing our thoughts on them....Perhaps this is the beginning of a ''new life'' for you....Perhaps it is the HS who has called you to this forum....Perhaps God is answering your prayers on those tough to answer questions and your missing the boat....Just a thought...

hey not putting this off but life is hetic right now

I just got back from Seattle, I was seeing my brother off to Iraq and have laundry and cleaning to catch up on, I'm way behind schedule.

I'll get to the references, they primarily have to do with the failure of Christ/The Apostles to identify slavery as a sin and the portions of Corinthians where sexist rules are handed down to Christian women. I'll give further detail possibly later this week...

Hi Silverchild,

I posted this a while back in the Christian Advice section. I'll post it again here. It applies to the slavery question. I went from what was said in the Old Testament about slavery and brought it forward to the New. Hope this helps:

...yes its easy to misunderstand the slavery part, but consider closely what is being said....

"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve for six years; but on the seventh he shall go out as a free man without payment. Exodus 21:2

A foreign slave could be made a slave for life (Leviticus 25:46); this is also true of a Hebrew slave (Deuteronomy 15:16-17). However, even this was based on the slave's wishes. Both in the case for the Hebrew slave (Deuteronomy 15:16-17) and the foreign slave:

You shall not oppress a stranger, since you yourselves know the feelings of a stranger, for you also were strangers in the land of Egypt. Exodus 23:9

Although it might seem at first glance of Leviticus 25:46 that the foreign slave is bound in a harsher way, we have to remember that ultimately the same rules applied to the foreigner as to the native Hebrew.

There shall be one standard for you; it shall be for the stranger as well as the native, for I am the LORD your God.'" Leviticus 24:22, Numbers 15:15-16

Its also interesting to note that even slaves of foreigners could find refuge in Israel:

If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand him over to his master. Let him live among you wherever he likes and in whatever town he chooses. Do not oppress him. Deuteronomy 23:15-16

And the LORD reminded them that:

When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong.
'The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 19:33-34

Sometimes I'm suprised when people say that even the New Testament pushes slavery as the way things should be, but all this carries over to the NT when Paul says:

Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble youâ€â€although if you can gain your freedom, do so. For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. 1 Corinthians 7:21-23

A powerful message that ultimately has made itself known and has affected the entire world today! :)

As for sexist rules, I would think it depends on your definition of sexist. I believe that both the woman and the man are of equal value and worth. I believe this is heavily supported, sustained, and taught to us through the Bible. At the same time I believe that men and women are different and have different blessings intrinsic to their gender. As far as marriage, perhaps keep the verses that are bothering you in context with this one:

The husband should fufill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. 1 Corinthians 7:3-4

I inadvertently Googled my screen name. I was trying to paste something else, but just for fun, I went ahead and clicked 'search'.

Most of what came up was this forum, three other Christian forums where I am a member, a crafts forum ...and this.

Link: http://www.conflictingviews.com/t1091-9/

Re: Prophet "Muhammad" (PBUH) in the Bible
someone asked where to find a debate opponent? I can only think of a couple places.

If you are a liberal and want to debate a Conservative Christian try Gabbylittleangel on Christianforums.net, she'll give you a run for your money
But bring them here, debate them on politics on the other sites and you're likely to be banned...

Silver, I am not really in need of a manager to pick fights for me...but thanks for the vote of confidence. :-D

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back