Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hi!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

celo

Hello everyone,

My name is David and I wasn't going to introduce myself; but, I think I will after lurking through a few fascinating posts here.

I am still wondering what I am doing here as I am Jewish. But as I explained in a long-winded thread, I am more of a a man of science. Don't get me wrong, I understand that science and spirituality are different. In fact, it was science that made me start to really consider that there may be a God after all. I was never religious growing up, despite following many Jewish traditions (I'm 24) and questioned everything. I think it was around the time I was studying quantum mechanics that I was struck by two things:

1. The physical universe is perfect. Everything works exactly right. Change the value of any of the four fundamental forces by the tiniest bit, and nothing we see could be possible. Maybe there is a God after all. Either that or we live in an infinite number of big bang/crunch/freeze cycles, each with random laws and attributes such that for every cycle that could produce stars and life, there would be trillions upon trillions of cycles of cold, empty, nothing. Or that each set of laws yields a unique universe where life that is beyond our comprehension is possible, thus giving the illusion of something "special" and intelligently tailored. I kinda like the former to be honest.

2. Physics is so unbelievable insane and unintuitive that the idea of God actually sounds....more reasonable.

3. Science tells us how in terms of a common scientific language. Science is useful for making predictions of physical, inanimate events. This does nothing to ask why, and is limited to direct, empirical observation. The simple fact that strings in string theory are orders of magnitude smaller than the resolution of the smallest wavelength of light makes direct observation impossible...for now. Thus, we are entering the realm of scientific faith. Kind of a big loop perhaps.:eeeekkk

My mother was Christian growing up and converted when she was 19 because "it made more sense" for her. This did not stop me from being curious about Christianity and her Christian side of the family. This is also what led me to believe that religion is based on that of your parents at an early age, and that faith in humanity and compassion were the real meat and potatoes. What if my mom didn't convert, then I would be Christian! And I would believe it to be right..... you see my dilemma?

Anyways. I thought about going to a Jewish forum to learn more about religion. But, what would I learn from something I already know? Granted, some weird "enlightenment" could occur...but I thought I would learn more from looking at a different but similar (in values anyways) religion.

I'm not looking to convert or to change anyone's beliefs, just to learn more about myself and God (if he exists).

I will clarify by saying that in accordance with my core values, I don't see a conflict in me believing and praying to a God whose existence I can never be sure of. Isn't it more a statement of faith to say something like, I believe that God is real and in heaven, but I don't know if he exists. That is faith in this man's opinion. Admitting that I cannot be sure, but believe anyways is something that would work for me.

Maybe this is a fundamental contradiction to the Christian faith. I know for a fact it conflicts with many denominations.... but that's my whole point I suppose. God = God (if real) Denomination = individual interpretation.

I suppose my goal is to explore new options. Please excuse me if I say something that goes against your faith. But if you were in trouble, and I was in the position to help, I would help you because you are a fellow human. To me (I hope) that's what the core is anyways. Anything else is human interpretation. I call it respect and decency, others quote chapter and verse.... this is simply a choice of terms. To an outside observer (like maybe, God, for instance) I believe the action is whats looked at, not the specific law, and the particular language that commands it. Thank God we are (for the most part) hardwired to possess a sense of caring. Unless one is truly a sociopath (nice, modern word for evil), even our worst enemies are capable of loving something. Love is natural, and unfortunately so is the group/pack mentality. And to those creationists, do we really disagree on principle? After all, if God exists, then certainly innate, genetic qualities are his creation. We may describe it differently, and we may (hopefully not) hate each other for doing so. But the action is the same.

Besides, as a pack animal (organisms/species/chosen species/God's image... if you like that better....again...semantics..whatever you call it, were the same in the end) We are hardwired to fall into in-groups out-groups, and all the fighting that comes with that.

The above is my opinion, and I am always open to change said opinion based on new experiences. For those who disagree, like I said, I'm not here to argue. I try to respect that yours is just as valid as mine. After all, I assume that you are not insane, thus you have a good reason for your belief.

Take care. Again, I mean no offense, and will eat my words if they are wrong.

Hello everyone,

My name is David and I wasn't going to introduce myself; but, I think I will after lurking through a few fascinating posts here.

I am still wondering what I am doing here as I am Jewish. But as I explained in a long-winded thread, I am more of a a man of science. Don't get me wrong, I understand that science and spirituality are different. In fact, it was science that made me start to really consider that there may be a God after all. I was never religious growing up, despite following many Jewish traditions (I'm 24) and questioned everything. I think it was around the time I was studying quantum mechanics that I was struck by two things:

1. The physical universe is perfect. Everything works exactly right. Change the value of any of the four fundamental forces by the tiniest bit, and nothing we see could be possible...
Hi,

I'm called "Sparrow" here, but my name is Michael. When I read your post I wanted to respond with a video that another "Mike" on this site posted, called, "The Privileged Planet" and it goes into more of what you are talking about. It's about an hour long, but can be viewed in segments:

Cut-N-Paste: video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6308516608498324470
Or just click --> The Privileged Planet

The aforementioned "Mike", here. :)

Welcome to CFnet! I hope you do watch the video, and I'll be interested in your honest thoughts. Usually in this forum, we just greet each other. You might want to copy & paste much of this into a topical thread. :yes

Point taken. I will create a thread in the general forum if I have anything interesting to say regarding the video.

Thanks for the welcome!

dIBM7.png

Physics as a justification for God? It's going to take a lot more than that to convince people, just saying. I'll start with the obvious: nothing around us would be possible if some things were off slightly.

Yes, this is true, but who's to say that things should be perfect for humans? That's a little anthrocentric if you ask me. Furthermore, if physics worked differently, assuredly there would be life there that grew up with that set of physics.

Physics as a justification for God? It's going to take a lot more than that to convince people, just saying. I'll start with the obvious: nothing around us would be possible if some things were off slightly.

Yes, this is true, but who's to say that things should be perfect for humans? That's a little anthrocentric if you ask me.

And I agree. I apologize if I didn't articulate myself adequately, as you seem to infer something that I didn't mean to imply. My point was that science originally caused me to dismiss God. As I learned more advanced physics, I was so amazed at the beauty and eloquence in the universe's design that I felt inspired to believe in a God of some sort. As this is an introduction thread, my intent was to briefly highlight the major catalyst in my renewed faith in the possible existence of a higher power. Had I posted this in a debate forum, I would see where your inference would originate :).

In no way am I proposing that physics is a justification. My personal connection is just that, personal. I fully recognize that my inspiration is belief over objective certainty. Although it may have seemed so, I was not saying things are perfect for humans. I was saying that the specific quantities that make up the fundamental properties of the cosmos are perfect for life to be possible. Not for life to be perfect, sad as that may be.

Furthermore, if physics worked differently, assuredly there would be life there that grew up with that set of physics

If the power of gravity were a fraction higher, or if the electromagnetic force was slightly weaker, the threshold for black holes would be lowered tremendously to the extent that gravitational collapse would trump degenerative atomic pressure. Thus, stars would not support their own weight, and their existence would be impossible for any extended period. Without stars, no life. After all, every element in our body larger than hydrogen was forged in a star and supernova at some point.

If the strong nuclear force was slightly stronger, nuclear fusion would occur so regularly that nothing would be sustainable. Think a big BIG bang, followed by darkness filled with lifeless, heavy elements. If the strong nuclear force was slightly weaker, think of a big TINY bang. Fusion would not occur, and the universe would be a cold place comprised almost entirely of hydrogen.

Not to mention that in the early stages of the big bang, particles wouldn't even form if these forces were any bit different. It is this amazing coincidence that inspired to think that maybe it was designed by something sentient.

Now that you articulate it, that's actually quite well put. I was expecting another one of those posts that was all about "Earth is perfect for humans, so it must have been made!"

Please to see it isn't. Most people on this forum, however, believe by faith alone, so this is basically superfluous to them until they get into an argument with an atheist. I'm not discouraging you in the slightest; just saying most people around here wouldn't get it. The forum needs more people like you.

Either way,
welcome_to_the_herd.gif

I appreciate your encouragement :).

As morbidly entertaining and painfully, intellectually stimulating as the theist-atheist debate can be, it's sometimes hard to see how completely and utterly futile it is without the cool, calm, and collected perspective of an observer.

I don't know about you, but I have never witnessed an ideal-based debate end with one side proclaiming, "Huh. You know? Now that you mention it, your right! Wow! My lifelong convictions have been completely wrong. Thanks for enlightening me with truth!" :chin

The debates, however, will continue ad nauseam as sure as the sun will rise each morning. Part of being human.

Word. Ponies are notorious for their propensity to engage in unwinnable debates, despite their generally tranquil temperament.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back