Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Homeboy"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Cheyenne K

What do you all think of Jesus being referred to as somebody's "homeboy?"

I've heard people who believe it to be lacking in reverence and making it seem as if Jesus was just another guy on this earth. However, I also know "homeboy" to be slang for "friend," which is a term I would not object to somebody calling Jesus.

Personally, I could not fathom myself calling anyone "homeboy," let alone Jesus. Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on this?

I do not think I would be using "Homeboy" or "Friend" any time soon. My respect and gratitude to the Lord go way beyond that.

Does using "Homeboy" disrespect the Lord. I do not know, but I suspect such petty stuff like this is beneath Him since He knows what is in our hearts. I think it disturbs earthy people more than it does Jesus.

It does not bother me, nor does it bother God. God knows what the heart means, even if we do not have the words to express it.

I refer to God and Jesus in different ways depending on who I am talking to. When I am at youth group and with friends and adults who are more understanding I can be heard calling Jesus "my boy". It's a very endearing term, it means more than friend, it's someone you would do anything for.

If I am at my church I am very reserved and conservative when I talk about God and Jesus. I use the age old titles and signs of endearment towards them.

When I am with my Hebrew friends and my Messianic friends and my other friends who are very into original names I refer to God as Elohim and Jesus as Yahushua. If I used these Hebrew words around most other Christians I know they would have no idea what I am saying.

So, I think that if the term is meant with a loving heart and as a good thing, then by all means go for it. I would only suggest that you observe who you are with, because some people will get caught up and stumble on these terms (no offense, but particularly older people). I think you need to remember that effectively you are dealing with a different culture. Other cultures have different terms of respect and endearment and they are no better or worse than your own. Even if that term or action may seem disrespectful to you, it doesn't mean it it to them. My best example is Japan. In Japan slurping is a means of being polite. In America slurping is rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm uncomfortable with prayer when I hear it offered so casual. I have some firends who start a prayer, "Hey, God...". It's like they're calling their friend on the phone. Yeah, "He calls me friend", but He is also the Creator of the universe, and I believe more honor and respect is due. Calling Him "homeboy" or saying "Hey, God" is not putting ourselves in a humble, needful position.

We need to remember our place when approaching Him. I don't see this casual way of addressing Him modeled in scripture. Jesus modeled it with more honor than that. So did Paul and the other writers. Just my opinion.

I think it depends on the heart. Reverence is essential but a relationship is unique and personal.

There should be a decent level of reverence when approaching the throne....Homeboy is not so appropriate..

Pard, God judges the heart....thats the main issues with this...It takes a shallow heart to not find a better term....

I'Chante....where did you hear that? Was is in rap?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back