Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Honor thy mother and thy father?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Just a quick thought. Even if you may not have a relationship with your parents and regardless how they may have treated you in the past. You can and should still honor them by your personal behavior and actions. Rather than giving others the opportunity to say 'look at their son, see how irresponsible he is, he's a drunkard etc, etc. Live life responsibly, better yourself, take care of your wife and family, raise your children up right giving them good instruction, etc etc. Then others will see that you have done well and not brought shame upon your parents. Or anyone else for that matter.

Honoring someone doesn't mean you have to stand there and take their abuse or kiss their hind end either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you need to put the past behind you and look forward to the future with the Lord. At the least you can use it as a learning experience. All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God. Things may have been bad, but perhaps they could have been worse also. In this way, perhaps he was doing as good as he could but made many mistakes. We all do. The best way that you could honor him now is to pray for God to forgive him and have mercy upon him. This will allow forgiveness to come into your heart and let you be a better man than he was. With the same rule that you judge your father, you will be judged. May the Lord bless you and give you strength. You must find forgiveness in your heart.
I appreciate that you are trying to help. I have been praying that God would have mercy on his soul, because it seemed like the right thing to do. He most certainly needs it!

But I also want to ask that we stay on topic here. I appreciate that people want to be supportive and help me recover from the abuse, but I've only stated the bare bones here - there is much more. Let me just say that putting the past behind you is simply not possible when you have PTSD. You cannot put something behind you that intrudes into the present every day, in form of triggers and flashbacks. That's why I'm paying a therapist. She's doing a good job helping me process the past, in order to help me get to the point where I will be able to put it behind me.

Just a quick thought. Even if you may not have a relationship with your parents and regardless how they may have treated you in the past. You can and should still honor them by your personal behavior and actions. Rather than giving others the opportunity to say 'look at their son, see how irresponsible he is, he's a drunkard etc, etc. Live life responsibly, better yourself, take care of your wife and family, raise your children up right giving them good instruction, etc etc. Then others will see that you have done well and not brought shame upon your parents. Or anyone else for that matter.

Honoring someone doesn't mean you have to stand there and take their abuse or kiss their hind end either.

Thank you, that is a good point. I am working hard at living a responsible life and being a good father... I guess in a way that is giving my parents honor that they don't even deserve...

I appreciate that you are trying to help. I have been praying that God would have mercy on his soul, because it seemed like the right thing to do. He most certainly needs it!

But I also want to ask that we stay on topic here. I appreciate that people want to be supportive and help me recover from the abuse, but I've only stated the bare bones here - there is much more. Let me just say that putting the past behind you is simply not possible when you have PTSD. You cannot put something behind you that intrudes into the present every day, in form of triggers and flashbacks. That's why I'm paying a therapist. She's doing a good job helping me process the past, in order to help me get to the point where I will be able to put it behind me.

Thank you, that is a good point. I am working hard at living a responsible life and being a good father... I guess in a way that is giving my parents honor that they don't even deserve...

You are doing well, gecko

Keep on trusting God, and that He will use your therapist for His glory.

For others:
We who are adult survivors of abuse, and who are victors by the grace of God have an inordinately difficult time learning to trust and to love. for many of us, self worth and self esteem are locked up in the question, "What did I ever do to deserve that?" of course the answer is "Nothing. Your parent (s) sinned against you." is not discovered until years after the fact, and barring a miracle of instant healing and restoration of the years of the locusts, counseling is required. The worst boss I ever had was also an abused child, who only got a lump of coal in his stocking because his father said that he was a "bad boy".

As a result of our abuse, we act out what was done to us in later life, because we are full of rage at what was done to us and are justifiably branded as "jerks" (as was that boss I had) by others. Many of us are unable to have solid relationships with our spouse, and in many times it is their unconditional love for us which drives us to see the emptiness in our life.

Those of you who never had such abuse are fortunate. But we who are victors through Jesus Christ are also fortunate. Realizing that we are saved, and preserved by grace (hence my username) makes it easier to understand other "jerks of the world" who have been hurting as we have
been doing for too many years. The country western songs "Looking for love in all the wrong places" and "You're a hard habit to break" are sorta our theme songs until we get help. (BTW I dislike country western, so you know how hard that is to admit I like those songs! :lol )

This is just my perspective, and I am posting it so that others can see some of the hellish things we have endured. It is a long journey into victory for all of us. Some journeys take longer, and some journeys never end.

Hope this helps your understanding, friends.

Its true they may not deserve it and though you may not be able to forgive them now I believe that will come in due time.

Just don't look upon this commandment as making you subject yourself to more abuse. Nor is it making you responsible to fix your relationship because in all honesty that may never happen. Neither is it really so much about giving the them something they don't deserve though that is a result of abiding in this particular commandment.

Rather I think the commandment is given to teach and encourage sons and daughters of parents both good and bad, to excel in life, to good, do to better for yourself and your family regardless of history.

Oh, and don't forget, you have a Father in heaven too, I think you would do well to honor Him in everything you do also.

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Fire and brimstone was exactly what I needed.

Matthew 6:15 is exactly what kept me away from Church for most of my adult life because I never believed that I could claim forgiveness until I have succeeded in completely forgiving everyone else. Fortunately, someone explained to me that God understands that I am human, and therefore weak. He doesn't require success. What he does require, is sincere and dedicated effort. I believe I've been making a sincere and dedicated effort to forgive. A God who will send me to eternal hell for not accomplishing instant success is not a God a want to serve.

I believe people who claim they forgive instantly are liars or they have never experienced a true emotional deep wound much less dozens of them.
I remind myself that God is working all this EVIL to my good somehow......

I believe people who claim they forgive instantly are liars or they have never experienced a true emotional deep wound much less dozens of them.
I remind myself that God is working all this EVIL to my good somehow......

P31Woman:

'All things work together for God to them that love God, to them that are called according to His purpose' (Romans 8.28).

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back