Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Horus vs Attus vs Jesus

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Arye

Ive heard of Attus, from 1200 BC and Mithra of 1200BC both born of a virgin, star in the east. Bothe died for 3 days and rose again. there is also Horus and Dionosis.

my question is. Did these messiah like traits of false gods get their influence from Old Testament prophecies about Jesus? some of these false gods were born on Dec 25... which is weird because Jesus was actually born in July and we observe his birth in Dec right?

I am not really sure when certain books of the old testament were written or the one that say the messiah would be Virgin born, dead and rise after three days, and there would be a star in the east.

Horus dates all the way back to 3000 BC. I am still doing some research on him.

edit:

here is a good link. but i am still making my own little article on all thise.

http://creativecounterpart.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/ending-the-myths-of-horus-jesus/

Last edited by a moderator:
Arye said:
Arye
Horus vs Attus vs Jesus
Ive heard of Attus, from 1200 BC and Mithra of 1200BC both born of a virgin, star in the east. Bothe died for 3 days and rose again. there is also Horus and Dionosis.

my question is. Did these messiah like traits of false gods get their influence from Old Testament prophecies about Jesus? some of these false gods were born on Dec 25... which is weird because Jesus was actually born in July and we observe his birth in Dec right?

I am not really sure when certain books of the old testament were written or the one that say the messiah would be Virgin born, dead and rise after three days, and there would be a star in the east.

Horus dates all the way back to 3000 BC. I am still doing some research on him.

edit:

here is a good link. but i am still making my own little article on all thise.

http://creativecounterpart.wordpress...f-horus-jesus/

To my knowledge, the whole December birthday and virgin births and stars and such aren't accurate for these myths. I'm not as studied up on this at the moment as I should be (I seem to study stuff, then study other stuff, and forget the first set of things I've studied!:grumpy gets annoying).

*20 minutes later*

Well man! I just went to google to look up some info on this, and what I came back with was: All Christians say "it's not true" and give good reasons; but also all those against Christianity say it IS true, and give good reasons. What I could not find was a "neutral" source.

What I did notice was interesting was: the Christian sources mostly try and disprove this, but they do admit (more than one might think) that yes, parallels obviously do exist. On the other hand, those against Christianity say that there are parallels, but then point out SO many parallels from SO many sources, that it almost seems to become absurd! The Christians say "Of course there are some parallels between things, it's inevitable; but mostly you can tell the authenticity of the specific things (in our case, the life of Jesus)", while the atheists say "There should be no parallels, but olok at the MILLIONS of parallels from every concievable source! There are so many that the whole world is copying the whole world (in our case, the Life of Jesus from all those other myths)".

I don't know, just from seeing way they present these things, at least the Christians seem to be trying to be honest, while obviously having an agenda. Were as those against Christianity seem to not be being totally honest, while trying to pretend to not have an agenda.

It's a good question, and the DEVIL IS A LIAR! First, he weaves in pagan practices into Christianity and then claims Jesus is just pagan. Your research should first start in the Bible. The Bible never says to keep Christmas, never says when Jesus was born, or that we need to be celebrating his birth. Why then is it on this day that we worship Jesus?

"During the winter in ancient Scandinavia there would be a certain amount of days where the sun would not shine. Upon the return of the first sunlight, the Scandinavians would hold a festival called the Yuletide. A Yule log would be burned in a special fire, and everyone would gather around the fire and hold a great feast. To remind themselves that the spring and summer would surely return again, people in some areas of Scandinavia would tie apples to tree branches. The tradition of the Christmas tree is believed to have evolved from this ritual, as well as from the Roman ritual of decorating trees with candles during the festival of Saturnalia. Some believe that the tradition of singing carols began when people in Scandinavia would sing celebration songs on the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, which happened around December 22nd.
One theory about the evolution of the winter celebrations to the celebration of the birth of Jesus is that the Roman emperor Constantine, who converted to Christianity, wanted to incorporate the pagan winter rituals together with the celebration of Jesus’ birth. In this way, Constantine hoped to help both pagans and Christians celebrate together. Many believe that this is the reason for celebrating the birth of Christ on December 25th. It is widely believed today that Jesus was not actually born on, or even close to, December 25th. Eventually, the Roman church became almost completely successful in making the December celebration only about the birth of Christ, replacing any celebrations that were in honor of pagan gods."

Also, check this out:

Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
Jer 10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

They had these gods way back when, and we still worship them today. If you want more understanding, search for Pastor Dowell on youtube.

I have heard of these stories about pagan gods having 3 day reincarnations and virgin births before Jesus lived.

My reason to doubt the authenticity of it is could pagan faiths meticulously keep pure original writings of these things or did Jesus life get later translated and incorporated into theirs much like the catholic church incorporated pagan things.

The Bible is historically accurate and has thousands of supporting writings and artifacts that support it. Unless these myths can come close to having the support that the Bible does I see no relation.

I made a thread with a similar name for a different, non-anti-Christian perspective from a non-Christian, if you are curious about a different point of view on the parallels.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back