Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How do we respond to jews who believe messiah hasn't come?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Gary said:
Great posts Solo! Those who have never experienced the Holy Spirit have no way of determining spiritual truths.... they flounder and toss like ships in a storm. It is evident in posts from people like DivineNames and Soma-Sight.

Born-again Christians have security. "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand." John 10:28

That is a wonderful promise from the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. The believer's salvation is forever secure in Him.

Born-again believers have God as the Guarantor!

"My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand." John 10:29

Maranatha! I love you... my Lord and Saviour.

:)
Keep preaching, Gary. I love to read your posts. They are full of information and truth. Those that have a problem with your posts are worldly and do not know Jesus Christ. They are on the broad and wide path to destruction, and by the grace of God perhaps some will shed their blinders inorder to grasp the eternal salvation that has been given as a free gift to all who believe.

I was presented with the fact that I was either a child of God or a child of satan; there were no inbetween positions, I was either one or the other. It was at that instant the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to this very simple truth, and He led me to salvation through Jesus Christ. Perhaps those that read this will too be led into salvation by the love of God through Jesus Christ so that they aren't prey of the enemy, satan.

Gary said:
DivineNames said:
I have a question for Karma2Grace and Gary, who both seem to have endorsed 'legal apologetics'. Do you think this is a good idea? endorsing the testing of Christianity by legal evidence rules?

When Christianity doesn't stand up to scrutiny using this set of criteria, the approach appears to go disastrously wrong...

Again you have got it wrong. First READ the links I gave you... you may then at least argue with some degree of knowledge.

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... 628#199628

Thanks.

http://www.geocities.com/gary_bee_za/bi ... enleaf.htm

You do seem to be endorsing 'legal apologetics' with the above link. Are you denying this? Please explain.

Solo said:
DivineNames said:
Solo said:
Until one meets Jesus in person, one will not know the truth. I met Jesus in 1983, and he hasn't left me yet, just like he said.

Are you claiming that you know the 'truth' from your own religious experience, from 'meeting Jesus'?

If so, then you need some very substantial argument to support the truth of the religious experience in question, against the religious experience of non-Christians, which could be claimed to confirm the truth of various other religions.

Some people would have a highly skeptical view of all religious experience of course.

I don't need a substantial argument to support the truth, you do. I am resting thankfully reassured that the God of creation has determined to save me in spite of my sinful condition when found. Glory be to God almighty and his Son Jesus Christ and his Spirit.

If you are making a claim that you "know the truth" from your own religious experience then you do indeed need some very substantial argument to support this claim.

I was well aware, of course, that you were unlikely to be able to provide it. That you wish to make this kind of claim to "know the truth", you are either naive, self deceived, or merely dishonest.

If people feel that their religious experience strengthens them in their faith, that they personally find it helps to confirm their belief in some sense, then that is fine. I have no problem with a modest claim along those lines.

If you want to talk about truth, with dogmatic certainty, then you need to be able to back that up with proof.

Solo said:
My experiences with God almighty through his Son Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit have no comparison with the religious experience of non-Christians.

What evidence do you have for this claim? That your own experiences have no comparison with the religious experience of non-Christians? Have you personally experienced what the religious experience of all non-Christians is actually like?

Even if your experiences do have no comparison, as you suggest, I can't see that this necessarily tells us anything relevant. How would this show that your experiences come from God? Or that we can infer the truth of Christianity?

Solo said:
DivineNames said:
Even if Christians do have a genuine experience of God, does it automatically follow that Christianity is true?

I will quote something I recently read on the BBC religion forums-

"I know what you mean in terms of the joy of fellowship with God. I used to be a born again Christian and had a real and genuine experience of fellowship with God. Since then i have left Christianity and express my spiritual fellowship in a completely different manner - indeed one in which the fundie community cast as diabolic. The joy is still there - indeed if anything its even stronger than before.

This is the trouble with all the fundamentalist fanaticisms we see in various religions around the world that is causing so much trouble at the moment. Your spiritual experience of God, while quite genuine, is interpreted as a legitimation of the rigid religious interpretation framework in which you first approached it. When this framework tells you that only you have access to the truth we get fanaticism..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbreligion/F22 ... ead=802414

They were not born again Christians, they only believed themselves to be for the Bible says differently than they

You have made a bit of a mistake here. You can't cite the Bible to a non-Christian and expect it to have any authority. If you wish to claim that the author was not genuinely a born again Christian, then what evidence do you have for this?

(Without committing the fallacy of begging the question please...)

I do also wish to make a comment on what you have said. According to you, someone can believe themselves to be a 'born again Christian', they can believe themselves to have a genuine experience of God, but they are actually completely deluded about it.

How do we know that this doesn't apply to you? How do you know that this doesn't apply to you?

This seems to undermine your ability to trust your own religious experience. According to you, if you renounce Christianity then you were never a true Christian. How can you be 100% certain that you will not renounce Christianity at some point?

Or even if you don't ever renounce Christianity, if someone can be convinced that they are a born again Christian and yet be deluded about it, how do you know that you aren't deluded about it?

DivineNames said:

You do seem to be endorsing 'legal apologetics' with the above link. Are you denying this? Please explain.

“Every document, apparently ancient, coming from the proper repository or custody, and bearing on its face no evident marks of forgery, the law presumes to be genuine, and devolves on the opposing party the burden of proving it to be otherwise,†Greenleaf wrote.
According to this “Ancient Document Rule†the New Testament would qualify as authentic, since it bears no marks of forgery and has been in the proper custody of the church down through the centuries, as shown by manuscript evidence.

Would the New Testament qualify as authentic under the Ancient Document Rule?

I will quote from Richard Packham's article-

"The 'ancient documents' rule can be applied to them, which makes their 'competence' such as 'would be established in any court of law,'" according to Simon Greenleaf, "the greatest nineteenth century authority on the law of evidence."

Here is one of the grossest misrepresentations in the entire article, and Montgomery repeats it later. The "ancient documents" rule in English (and American) Common Law developed in order to allow a document, under certain circumstances, to be introduced into evidence without requiring that a witness testify to its authenticity. Ordinarily, documents which a party wishes to introduce into evidence must be proven to be "authentic" before they can be placed before the court. This requires (usually very brief) testimony from some witness who is knowledgeable about the document. The bookkeeper is asked, for example: "Is this document a page from your company ledger?" "Yes." "Is that ledger maintained in the ordinary course of business?" "Yes." "Were these entries made at the time of the transactions they purport to record?" "Yes." The document has thus been "authenticated" and can be used as evidence.

All authorities on the rules of evidence emphasize that authenticating a document does not guarantee the truthfulness or accuracy of its contents. Authentication merely shows where the document came from and when it was created.

The "ancient documents rule" developed to deal with the problem arising when documents contained useful information, but there was no longer any witness around to authenticate them, because the documents were old. The rule under common law is discussed at length in 29 American Jurisprudence 2d, "Evidence," section 1201, where the requirements are listed in order for a party to present an otherwise unauthenticated document under the "ancient documents" rule: the document must 1) be over 30 years old; 2) be produced from proper custody (i.e., the chain of custody must be shown); 3) its authenticity must be corroborated by the circumstances; 4) copies of the document may be admissible if properly authenticated, but then the proof that the writer signed the original must be made.

The great modern encyclopedic authority on the law of evidence, Wigmore on Evidence, (cited hereafter as "Wigmore," and available in any county law library) gives the same requirements, section 2137ff. The New Testament writings satisfy only the first requirement: they are over 30 years old. On all other requirements they fail completely.

I question even whether the gospels even qualify as "documents" as the term is used in this rule. A document is a physical thing, a writing usually on paper, usually in someone's handwriting, but perhaps produced by printing. It is the document itself, not its content, which must pass the ancient documents test. What "documents" would the Christians present to the court as evidence? The documents to which this rule would apply would have to be the actual original manuscripts of the evangelists, which, of course, no longer exist. Shall we accept copies? Then we must insist, as stated above, that evidence prove that the writer signed the original, which cannot be proven. But, in fact, we do not have copies. We have only copies of copies of copies that have gone through no one knows how many hands. And we do not know whose hands. Thus, one of the primary requirements of the ancient documents rule is not fulfilled: we cannot establish the gospels' "provenance."

The fact that they are copies of copies makes them inadmissible, as discussed at Wigmore, section 2143, where the general conclusion is reached that "..[copies] must fail [both] the custody and appearance test," citing as only one example the case of Carter vs. Wood 103 Va 68, 48 SE 553 (1904), where a copy of a deed was not admitted to evidence where it was not shown that the person making the copy had adequately tested the genuineness of the original.

The "appearance" test requires that the document must show no suspicious signs of tampering or alteration (Wigmore, section 2140). Mere "age will not sanctify earmarks of fraud," citing Hill vs. Nisbet 58 Ga 586, 589. The copies we have definitely do not appear to be free of tampering. On the contrary, they show multiple evidences of tampering, altering, deleting, inserting. It does not matter, in applying the "free of tampering" test that the tampering does not affect the fundamental import. If it appears that the document has been tampered with, the document does not pass the test.

Furthermore, as 29 Am Jur 2d says (section 1202), the "ancient documents" rule is a rule of authentication only, not a rule for admissibility. Its purpose is only to dispense with authentication by a witness."

http://home.teleport.com/~packham/montgmry.htm

DivineNames said:
Solo said:
DivineNames said:
Solo said:
Until one meets Jesus in person, one will not know the truth. I met Jesus in 1983, and he hasn't left me yet, just like he said.

Are you claiming that you know the 'truth' from your own religious experience, from 'meeting Jesus'?

If so, then you need some very substantial argument to support the truth of the religious experience in question, against the religious experience of non-Christians, which could be claimed to confirm the truth of various other religions.

Some people would have a highly skeptical view of all religious experience of course.

I don't need a substantial argument to support the truth, you do. I am resting thankfully reassured that the God of creation has determined to save me in spite of my sinful condition when found. Glory be to God almighty and his Son Jesus Christ and his Spirit.

If you are making a claim that you "know the truth" from your own religious experience then you do indeed need some very substantial argument to support this claim.

I was well aware, of course, that you were unlikely to be able to provide it. That you wish to make this kind of claim to "know the truth", you are either naive, self deceived, or merely dishonest.

If people feel that their religious experience strengthens them in their faith, that they personally find it helps to confirm their belief in some sense, then that is fine. I have no problem with a modest claim along those lines.

If you want to talk about truth, with dogmatic certainty, then you need to be able to back that up with proof.

Solo said:
My experiences with God almighty through his Son Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit have no comparison with the religious experience of non-Christians.

What evidence do you have for this claim? That your own experiences have no comparison with the religious experience of non-Christians? Have you personally experienced what the religious experience of all non-Christians is actually like?

Even if your experiences do have no comparison, as you suggest, I can't see that this necessarily tells us anything relevant. How would this show that your experiences come from God? Or that we can infer the truth of Christianity?
A blind man who has been blind since birth does not understand the concept of colors. Until his eyes have been healed, there is no explaining to be done, he will not understand.

As long as you are blind since birth of the things of God you will not understand regardless of how many words one wastes on you. I will not waste my time nor will I throw my pearls out before you.

Solo said:
A blind man who has been blind since birth does not understand the concept of colors. Until his eyes have been healed, there is no explaining to be done, he will not understand.

As long as you are blind since birth of the things of God you will not understand regardless of how many words one wastes on you. I will not waste my time nor will I throw my pearls out before you.

Perhaps the real problem is that you can't address the points I make.

With all due respect, I think it unlikely that you would be capable of putting together genuine argument on this issue, and I also think it very possible that your religious commitment prevents you from being able to consider the issue in an impartial and critical way.

I will quote a Christian philosopher. He is discussing the argument from religious experience, so the focus is on whether religious experience can be used as the basis of an argument for the God of theism. If this is not the case, then it certainly can't be used as much of a support for the truth of a particular theistic religion.

"We now return to the issue mentioned earlier, namely, the fact that there is a great diversity of religious experiences, some of them theistic and some of them not. Moslems tend to have religious experiences of Allah; Catholics of the Virgin Mary; Vedantic Hindus of Brahman. The problem for the ARE is that if religious experience is to constitute evidence for the existence of God (as opposed, say, to the 'Voidness' of some versions of Buddhism), then what do we do about non-theistic religious experiences? Or what do we do about any religious experience that contradicts theism, or one's own brand of theism, at some point? Do we simply ignore them? On what rational basis? If we restrict our coverage (as I have been doing) to theistic religious experience, what prevents Vedantic Hindus from using their religious experiences as evidence for the existence of Brahman?"

[Davis argues in the next paragraph that the ARE can perhaps constitute a successful proof that anti-religious naturalism is false]

"But the question still remains whether theistic religious experience can be used as the basis of the ARE in the light of the fact that religious experience is so diverse, with much of it not theistic at all. I believe the answer is largely no. There is no rational way - short, that is, of question-begging - simply to rule out non-theistic religious experience..."

Stephen T. Davis (1997) God, Reason and Theistic Proofs (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press) page 136.

DivineNames said:
Gary said:
DivineNames said:
I have a question for Karma2Grace and Gary, who both seem to have endorsed 'legal apologetics'. Do you think this is a good idea? endorsing the testing of Christianity by legal evidence rules?

When Christianity doesn't stand up to scrutiny using this set of criteria, the approach appears to go disastrously wrong...

Again you have got it wrong. First READ the links I gave you... you may then at least argue with some degree of knowledge.

Thanks.

Are you going to answer this?

DivineNames said:
Solo said:

Perhaps the real problem is that you can't address the points I make.

With all due respect, I think it unlikely that you would be capable of putting together genuine argument on this issue, and I also think it very possible that your religious commitment prevents you from being able to consider the issue in an impartial and critical way.
I believe that the real problem is the inability for one to give evidence of things not seen to one who only believes in things that are seen. When you have been made alive after being dead by the Holy Spirit of God, and the relationship between you and God begins and is nurtured by the Son of God, then no more evidence is required. The Spirit of God communing with your spirit establishes all truth within ones soul, to the point of being able to withstand all manners of evil without turning, knowing that redemption awaits shortly ahead.

10 And straightway he entered into a ship with his disciples, and came into the parts of Dalmanutha. 11 And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him. 12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation. 13 And he left them, and entering into the ship again departed to the other side. 14 Now the disciples had forgotten to take bread, neither had they in the ship with them more than one loaf. 15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod. 16 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have no bread. 17 And when Jesus knew it, he saith unto them, Why reason ye, because ye have no bread? perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your heart yet hardened? 18 Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember? 19 When I brake the five loaves among five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? They say unto him, Twelve. 20 And when the seven among four thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? And they said, Seven. 21 And he said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand? Mark 8:10-21

Solo said:

I guess that you were attempting to make some point with this, so I guess I should respond to it.

I quoted from a person who claims to have previously been a born again Christian, and to have had religious experience within that belief system. They now continue to have genuine experience of God, so they believe, within a different religious context. ("The joy is still there - indeed if anything its even stronger than before"). The problem with your analogy, is that this person may (very possibly) not be 'blind'. In fact, they may well have broader experience than you, with which they can better judge these matters.

You have disputed whether the author of that quote was ever genuinely a 'born again Christian'. This is certainly a possibility. However, your appeal to scripture in support of this claim asks us to assume what is at stake, which is the legitimacy of your 'rigid religious framework', so you are committing the logical fallacy of question begging. You have provided no real basis for your claim. It is entirely possible then, that you yourself are in the position of the blind person of your own analogy!

Now lets consider non-Christian religious experience in general. Whatever religious experience you may have personally had, you presumably have not experienced every possible kind of religious experience. If you were to have the religious experience of certain non-Christians, it is possible that you would see your previous Christian experiences as trivial by comparison.

So again, its entirely possible that you yourself are in the position of the blind person. Your own analogy works against you!

You can take up your case of whether I am right or wrong in my beliefs with the one who saved me. My acceptance of truth supercedes all who have accepted a lie. You included. Hopefully, when God knocks on your door you will answer, if not, we will only have this short physical moment to communicate before your exit.

Solo said:
I believe that the real problem is the inability for one to give evidence of things not seen to one who only believes in things that are seen.

If you are claiming that I am not open to the truth of religious experience, then where did I say anything like this? I challenge you to produce a quote in support of that suggestion. I have indeed mentioned that some people would be highly skeptical of all religious experience, but I haven't pushed that line at all. Why don't you try to address the points I actually have made? Instead, you seem to want to misrepresent my position.

Solo said:
When you have been made alive after being dead by the Holy Spirit of God, and the relationship between you and God begins and is nurtured by the Son of God, then no more evidence is required. The Spirit of God communing with your spirit establishes all truth within ones soul...

"I know the truth, and no evidence is required"

:roll:

And the Hindu could say something equivalent about their own religious experience, or the Buddhist could say something equivalent about their own religious experience, or an adherent of any other religion could say something equivalent about their own religious experience. (And they could be certain that their religious experience confirms their beliefs, as you yourself are certain...) This is one reason why you do need argument/evidence with regard to religious experience.

You have previously claimed that someone can believe that they are a born again Christian, and yet be deluded about it. Perhaps you are deluded about it? You need to address this point.

Solo said:
You can take up your case of whether I am right or wrong in my beliefs with the one who saved me. My acceptance of truth supercedes all who have accepted a lie. You included. Hopefully, when God knocks on your door you will answer, if not, we will only have this short physical moment to communicate before your exit.

If you possess 'truth', then why can't you put together some kind of genuine argument?

Perhaps you are just self-deluded...

The only people deluded in this forum are the skeptics and atheists.

Who cares what a hard hearted "I believe anything but the bible type thinks"?

I know I don't.... :sleeping:

DivineNames said:
Solo said:
I believe that the real problem is the inability for one to give evidence of things not seen to one who only believes in things that are seen.

If you are claiming that I am not open to the truth of religious experience, then where did I say anything like this? I challenge you to produce a quote in support of that suggestion. I have indeed mentioned that some people would be highly skeptical of all religious experience, but I haven't pushed that line at all. Why don't you try to address the points I actually have made? Instead, you seem to want to misrepresent my position.

Solo said:
When you have been made alive after being dead by the Holy Spirit of God, and the relationship between you and God begins and is nurtured by the Son of God, then no more evidence is required. The Spirit of God communing with your spirit establishes all truth within ones soul...

"I know the truth, and no evidence is required"

:roll:

And the Hindu could say something equivalent about their own religious experience, or the Buddhist could say something equivalent about their own religious experience, or an adherent of any other religion could say something equivalent about their own religious experience. (And they could be certain that their religious experience confirms their beliefs, as you yourself are certain...) This is one reason why you do need argument/evidence with regard to religious experience.

You have previously claimed that someone can believe that they are a born again Christian, and yet be deluded about it. Perhaps you are deluded about it? You need to address this point.
A born again Christian has been born again. It is possible for one to believe that they are Christian without being born again. A Christian that is born again has the Holy Spirit to confirm the salavation. You will not understand this until you have the Holy Spirit. Not that difficult. You really ought to approach this topic in a more humble manner if you are seeking truth, for it seems that you are applying the devil's tactic of being accussatory of God's children.

Hindus can believe what they want, you can believe what you want, but God has given the whole world his truth. He says that men that do not come to the light love the darkness because the light will show their works of wickedness, and the sin nature of man loves wickedness.

When you are truly seeking God and his truth, give me a holler, I'll help you out.

DivineNames said:
Solo said:

If you possess 'truth', then why can't you put together some kind of genuine argument?

I don't like arguing with fools. When you prove to me that you are earnestly seeking God's truth, then I will reevaluate your position of adequacy. Until then you and the accuser are equal in your attempt to undermine the truth of God.

Gary said:
DivineNames said:

Thanks.

"Greenleaf produced a volume (The Testimony of the Evangelists) which defends the authenticity of the New Testament. It defends an important link in the overall apologetic argument for Christianityâ€â€the trustworthiness of the New Testament witnesses."

"Greenleaf’s conclusions include strong points of evidence."

Perhaps Gary is writing apologetics without knowing what he is talking about?

The way to witness to Jews who don't believe Christ has come is similar to the way Peter did in Acts chapter two...

We need to preach the gospel to them.

They need to know that Jesus was taken by wicked hands and crucified.

Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

They need to know that Jesus was the promised Messiah and need to be shown that it was Jesus of Nazareth that fulfilled the Messianic prophecies.

As peter demonstrated all through Acts chapter two.

They need to hear the gospel of grace as given in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

And they need to understand what being "born again means as Christ explained to Nicodemus in John Chapter 3.

If they won't here you then understand why Paul said the following to the "stiff necked" Jews who would not hear the message of salvation.

Acts 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

Acts 28:24 And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.

Acts 28:25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,

Acts 28:26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:

Acts 28:27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Acts 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

The gentiles that won't hear the salvation message are deceived by the god of this world...

2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

There are people who simply want to believe anything from Buddhism to Hinduism or any combination of beliefs as long as it suits their god playing ego.

This type is generally extremely shallow. They challenge you to "prove your faith with evidence" while clinging tenaciously to a faith they cannot prove either.

The bible refers to this type as fools...

Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

Solo said:
DivineNames said:
Solo said:

I don't like arguing with fools. When you prove to me that you are earnestly seeking God's truth, then I will reevaluate your position of adequacy. Until then you and the accuser are equal in your attempt to undermine the truth of God.

You have already proven that you can't put together genuine argument. Its strange then, that you would really possess 'truth'...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back