Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How do you know?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Kmaxb

Hi everyone, I'm doing a bit of research into some of the differences between the various Christian denominations. How they differ, and what they have in common.

My specific question is this: How did you personally come to know that God is real, Jesus is your Savior, the Bible is the word of God, etc?

My specific question is this: How did you personally come to know that God is real, Jesus is your Savior, the Bible is the word of God, etc?
That is actually 3 questions IMO.

I know that God is real because I remember.

My Lord and Savior is God.

The Bible is the Word of God from my earliest teachings; and remembering how my first preacher was able to use those Word's to fire up the entire congregation.

That is actually 3 questions IMO.

I know that God is real because I remember.

My Lord and Savior is God.

The Bible is the Word of God from my earliest teachings; and remembering how my first preacher was able to use those Word's to fire up the entire congregation.
Thank you! You're right it is 3 questions, I could have worded that better.
For any of those truths did you ever have an experience where you asked God about them and he responded to you in some way?

Thank you! You're right it is 3 questions, I could have worded that better.
For any of those truths did you ever have an experience where you asked God about them and he responded to you in some way?
This is only a question and answer thread; you should post in Theology thread to actually discuss this.

But to answer your follow up question; the "interactions" I have had with God are not easy to describe. In my experience God never "speaks or shows anything clearly"; He kind of likes it when we use our own brain to figure out what He is telling us.

My specific question is this: How did you personally come to know that God is real,
Even as very young child I never doubted God was real .
Jesus is your Savior,
When I went to the altar at church and asked forgiveness for my sins and took Jesus as my savior .
the Bible is the word of God, etc?
While I was at the altar for my salvation I was also given the Gift of Tongues , what ever doubt I could have had was now vanquished .

Hi everyone, I'm doing a bit of research into some of the differences between the various Christian denominations. How they differ, and what they have in common.

How are personal questions going to help in your research ?

I’m curious about peoples “coming to know” experiences and if there are commonalities/differences between various denominations.
My folks were catholics, and us kids went to catholic school.
But the greatest influence I ever got was seeing my parents on their knees and praying to God.
If they knew it was real, who was I to disagree ?

My folks were catholics, and us kids went to catholic school.
But the greatest influence I ever got was seeing my parents on their knees and praying to God.
If they knew it was real, who was I to disagree ?
In your experience growing up in the church were you ever encouraged to pray and ask God specifically if Catholicism was correct?

Kmaxb we all come to know Christ in our own individual ways just like Thomas in the below scriptures. I'm not saying Jesus will come to you like He did with the Disciples before He ascended up to heaven, but when we come before Him in fervent prayer as Jesus knows our heart, which just means we come before Jesus in prayer. He will manifest Himself to us speaking to our heart as we feel His love for us.

John 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
John 20:25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
John 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
John 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
John 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

It's all about having faith and believing that Jesus is who He said he was and still is. I would suggest you start by reading the book of John in the Bible as this will teach you about Jesus and our relationship with Him and ask questions about those things you do not understand yet as all of us are ever learning. Before you start reading pray first and ask the Holy Spirit teach you of what God wants us to learn.

Kmaxb we all come to know Christ in our own individual ways just like Thomas in the below scriptures. I'm not saying Jesus will come to you like He did with the Disciples before He ascended up to heaven, but when we come before Him in fervent prayer as Jesus knows our heart, which just means we come before Jesus in prayer. He will manifest Himself to us speaking to our heart as we feel His love for us.

John 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
John 20:25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
John 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
John 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
John 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

It's all about having faith and believing that Jesus is who He said he was and still is. I would suggest you start by reading the book of John in the Bible as this will teach you about Jesus and our relationship with Him and ask questions about those things you do not understand yet as all of us are ever learning. Before you start reading pray first and ask the Holy Spirit teach you of what God wants us to learn.
Thank you! I'm already a believing Christian of many decades. I'm just doing this for research. I'm curious about experiences of conversion and how they differ between various denominations, assuming there are common threads within various doctrines/denominations.

Thank you! I'm already a believing Christian of many decades. I'm just doing this for research. I'm curious about experiences of conversion and how they differ between various denominations, assuming there are common threads within various doctrines/denominations.
Hi K
I believe that everyone that comes to know Jesus does so in the same manner and it doesn't matter what denomination a person belongs to.

A Catholic that comes to know Jesus has an experience whereby it cannot be denied that Jesus exists.
This goes for Catholics and Protestants.

Is Catholicism correct you ask....
Some of it is and some isn't.
Same for every other denomination.

There is another way one could come to a saving knowledge of God.
To just intellectually believe that God exists, and to follow His teachings.

Hey All,
I can answer all three questions with one word Kmaxb.
Faith.

Here's a good place to start.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith has substance - consciousness, the immaterial.
Faith is the evidence - material. Not the things around us, although they are evidence, but humanity.
We are created in His is image.
We are material, and God is immaterial; how can we be created in His image?
Man has the ability to create.
The things that are man-made started as immaterial thought.
Someone looked at the horse and buggy, and a steam engine and said I can create something better. And the car was born.

You are the substance.
You are the evidence.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

In your experience growing up in the church were you ever encouraged to pray and ask God specifically if Catholicism was correct?
I don't recall anything of the sort.
But as they were convinced it/they were of God, why would they ask such a thing ?
I didn't consider them wrong until I heard what was right, many years later.
Thanks be to God !

How do I know that God is real? Scientific discoveries - the golden ratio (0.618), complex genetic coding, fine tuning of gravity, etc. These are solid proof of intelligent design, by no means could any of these "randomly" occur as evolution theory suggests because they are NOT random. Two laws of nature that directly require a Creator God is the laws of thermodynamics - in a closed system, matter or energy cannot be created or annihilated, it can only be converted from one form to another; and naturally it deteriorates from complex form to simple form, from available form to unavailable form. This universe we're in cannot and DID not create or maintain itself, the only plausible explanation is that there's a God outside the system that made it a reality.

How do I know that Jesus is my Savior? Because Jesus is the only way to know God, and He's the only one who died for my sin and shame. From me He took the wrath and punishment which I deserve. All other deities sit in their temples to be served, only Jesus came to serve us.

How do I know the Bible is the word of God? Because it's true and trustworthy, it's not a book of fables and rules, not even just a book of wisdom and philosophies, but a book of real history and prophecies. It has passed the reality check with 100% accuracy. You wanna know what's gonna on in the world? Why are we living in the midst of chaos and shambles? Why are so many people insane with their crazy ideologies? Read the bible, especially the prophecies.

there are commonalities/differences between various denominations.
Why are you asking this question here?
Every denomination has a Web site, most churches have a Web site and they all have a statement of belief.

All Christian churches believe in the trinity, that the Bible is the word of God
That man kind are sinners in need of salvation/redemption through faith in Jesus's death and resurrection.
Differences will be the emphasise on baptism, church organisation, and charismatic gifts .

There are probable more similarities and differences.

The important issue is where do you stand, what do you believe, do you have a rational argument for your beliefs?

The OP and the most important question by far: there is only one way to know personally that God is real: pray and ask Him yourself. If He answers, He is real. But you have to be genuinely want the truth, and only the truth. I do.

I remember a story of a russian girl who constantly got atheism drilled into her in the classroom. Defying her teachers, she prayed: "God, if you are there, let it snow tomorrow." And it snowed. Droves and droves. She believed ever since.

I can give you Scripture after Scripture, but you said, "personally". And to know personally, there is only one way.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back