Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How does God communicate to you?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

Other than the usual bible-reading/praying approach, how does God communicate to you? Or you don't hear HIM at all? Just last night HE did through a dream.....and it is obvious it was HIM speaking.
Some hear HIS voice, some see visions etc.

So other these (bible-reading and through praying), how has GOD interacted with you in the past?

My sister informed me last time that there is a minister who communicates with GOD verbally and audibly; people had to guess he was with a guest or a visitor. opening the door, it was always him alone (conversing with GOD)

Usually it's emotionally. Through worship, or sometimes things or people like when one time a song came on the radio with just the right message at just the right time. You sort of just know it's God.
At times I have heard him as words in my head, like not audible words but the same sort of words you think but that weren't coming from me. This isn't very often, though. It's kinda like hearing a reassuring whisper every now and then. I have talked to him verbally, but He's never answered verbally no.

You do have to be careful with the whole "words in your head" thing, though, because you can't just say that words that pop in your head randomly are God. For me they are usually accompanied by emotions, and also we are told to test the spirits to see if they are of God. If it tells you something that is unBiblical or unScriptural then it's obviously not God.

Usually it's emotionally. Through worship, or sometimes things or people like when one time a song came on the radio with just the right message at just the right time. You sort of just know it's God.
At times I have heard him as words in my head, like not audible words but the same sort of words you think but that weren't coming from me. This isn't very often, though. It's kinda like hearing a reassuring whisper every now and then. I have talked to him verbally, but He's never answered verbally no.

You do have to be careful with the whole "words in your head" thing, though, because you can't just say that words that pop in your head randomly are God. For me they are usually accompanied by emotions, and also we are told to test the spirits to see if they are of God. If it tells you something that is unBiblical or unScriptural then it's obviously not God.
Thank you so much, especially for the second paragraph. people have been misled by the voice of the devil

The bible and prayer are really versatile methods of getting His message across though. So when you say "aside from the usual methods of prayer or the bible," I get the impression that you haven't explored the different ways a person has gotten a bit of communication through prayer or the bible. Prayer is an easy one because often there's the element of was the prayer answered if it was a request. Other times though it's a very emotional thing, like how Questdriven's description of feeling an emotion through worship, it has happened with prayer too. From praise, and feeling an even more abundant sence of Joy, because God is sharing the joy with you, to being comforted because of giving our moments of griefs and guilts to God. Another element of communication is always an answered prayer. Expecially if a person recoginize sit and prays a thank you as well. There are other kinds too from reading prayers in psalms or from a person's church or culture or historical figures. Sometimes all there is is a sence that your prayers are listened to, and that's enough sometimes to be strengthened.

The bible too is a work of so much communication. Reading it more, and trying to understand it more is in essence trying to find the communication that He's already given us. I know of a phenomon of reading the bible more then once and getting something more out of the verses read. In my opinion, there's something really true about the scriptures being spirit filled, because it seems like sometimes it feels like when I read it I'm not alone and some verses are just waiting there to jump out at me, and tell me something more. I think God or one of His angles reads the bible with us almost as if it's being read to us as more is pointed out while we read it. Though not always, and not for everyone is it easy or engaging to read. (Some parts can be harder to move through then others sometimes). Then there is also the lessons and the history in the bible. Sometimes when I do something wrong, I don't realize it. But later on I'm reminded of a verse or two in the bible that confront my actions. If you know parts of the bible, they'll stay with you even after you read it. Other experiences like Kiwidan's where needing a solution come from directly opening the bible and reading at any point in it.

But to answer your question, outside of the bible and prayer, I think at least once or trice God's given me a lesson in a dream. Or if it wasn't from God, it was still a lesson I needed to learn at that time. I also think I feel God's presence in praise, and in song. Sometimes through the songs in church I think there's communication to me, simularily like there is from the bible.

For the last year or so God has been faithful to speak to me through re-occuring Bible verses that pop up all over the place... the first part of the year it was Psalm 24, and lately it has been:

"Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."

Also, like questdriven, He speaks emotionally to me. Now, the overly religious struggle with this, because they don't understand it, and I'm hesitant to share it, but God has revealed His presence to me through overwhelming emotion. I have been in praise at times and become so thickly overcome with His presence that I erupt in both tears and laughter, with a sense of, for lack of better phrasing, drowning in peacefulness.

Other times, He has taught me thankfulness. Sometimes He will grace me with a great knowledge of just how blessed I am. I have stood out in the early morning hours watching wind blow through the trees, with a cup of coffee in my hand, just floored with being thankful for the present moment. Times like those, I understand what the Bible says when it says, "Be still and know that I am God."

Best thing is, I know the best is yet to come.

The bible and prayer are really versatile methods of getting His message across though. So when you say "aside from the usual methods of prayer or the bible," I get the impression that you haven't explored the different ways a person has gotten a bit of communication through prayer or the bible. Prayer is an easy one because often there's the element of was the prayer answered if it was a request. Other times though it's a very emotional thing, like how Questdriven's description of feeling an emotion through worship, it has happened with prayer too. From praise, and feeling an even more abundant sence of Joy, because God is sharing the joy with you, to being comforted because of giving our moments of griefs and guilts to God. Another element of communication is always an answered prayer. Expecially if a person recoginize sit and prays a thank you as well. There are other kinds too from reading prayers in psalms or from a person's church or culture or historical figures. Sometimes all there is is a sence that your prayers are listened to, and that's enough sometimes to be strengthened.

The bible too is a work of so much communication. Reading it more, and trying to understand it more is in essence trying to find the communication that He's already given us. I know of a phenomon of reading the bible more then once and getting something more out of the verses read. In my opinion, there's something really true about the scriptures being spirit filled, because it seems like sometimes it feels like when I read it I'm not alone and some verses are just waiting there to jump out at me, and tell me something more. I think God or one of His angles reads the bible with us almost as if it's being read to us as more is pointed out while we read it. Though not always, and not for everyone is it easy or engaging to read. (Some parts can be harder to move through then others sometimes). Then there is also the lessons and the history in the bible. Sometimes when I do something wrong, I don't realize it. But later on I'm reminded of a verse or two in the bible that confront my actions. If you know parts of the bible, they'll stay with you even after you read it. Other experiences like Kiwidan's where needing a solution come from directly opening the bible and reading at any point in it.

But to answer your question, outside of the bible and prayer, I think at least once or trice God's given me a lesson in a dream. Or if it wasn't from God, it was still a lesson I needed to learn at that time. I also think I feel God's presence in praise, and in song. Sometimes through the songs in church I think there's communication to me, simularily like there is from the bible.
Thanks for the last paragraph, which is exactly what I'm looking for. wanted to know if there are indeed many who converse with GOD verbally, who hear HIS voice audibly and speak back to HIM; who are divinely visited physically or in the dream. And I don't think HE can't take any of such approaches - HE does.

I have been praying to GOD for even clearer visions and communication and tangible visitations. And I see HE's beginning to answer. And the discernment is there.

And I now know it all depends (but particularly) on our level of relationship with GOD. Moses is a typical example.

Other than the usual bible-reading/praying approach, how does God communicate to you? Or you don't hear HIM at all? Just last night HE did through a dream.....and it is obvious it was HIM speaking.
Some hear HIS voice, some see visions etc.

So other these (bible-reading and through praying), how has GOD interacted with you in the past?
He communicates through my heart....

I have seen one maybe 2 visions from our Lord..
For years something like 25 years.. I allowed my mother in law to push me around..taking the easier way out i was.. she was a little spit fire .. drinking wine she would become cruel and hateful.. While i was washing the dishes she started in my parents .. poking at my siblings she had never even met.. complaining about her son.. and our kids.. swearing ugly...i bristled turned to go at her with my mouth.. the years of stored up ammo.. setting to pounce... like a big cat.. as i turned from the sink... suddenly i saw a helpless little still wet bird trying to free her self of the shell... I held my tongue.. I do not know if any more was said i was never sorry i did not speak.. Very thankful for the 'vision' and His Grace.. That was Him i am not that nice...

Sometimes God gets my attention with the 2x4 other times a hug

I have heard the Holy Spirit speak inside me. It feels like... He talked through my body and I felt it in my spirit. I don't know how else to say it?
I have also had dreams about the end times, and another dream about His glory. The instances where I heard the Holy Spirit were hard, terrifying times and He told me what to do, and He also protected me from demonic attacks.

Hmmm interesting question.

For me I have found that God will use multiple sources to first get my attention, which is sometimes not so easy as I get focussed on my own agenda far too easily, and then to 'speak' to me.

The way this often manifests is that something will stand out as I am reading - a word or a phrase, and then a little later I will hear that word or phrase again, that usually gets my antenna twitching and then I find He will bring something to really emphasise what He is getting at by having someone speak to me who will again use that word or phrase.

After that I am usually asking Him to explain better and sometimes He will 'speak' words in my head (and yes we do need to test those words for its source, although I tend to mistrust emotions as a barometer), at other times I have had visions and at other times I just get a sense of knowing that He is leading somewhere.

Of course I should caveat all of that and say in all of this I still get it wrong and go the way of my own desires instead of being sure I am following Him.

I am learning to take time in interpretation and allow Him to confirm things. In His kingdom there is always time!

Thanks for the last paragraph, which is exactly what I'm looking for. wanted to know if there are indeed many who converse with GOD verbally, who hear HIS voice audibly and speak back to HIM; who are divinely visited physically or in the dream. And I don't think HE can't take any of such approaches - HE does.

I have been praying to GOD for even clearer visions and communication and tangible visitations. And I see HE's beginning to answer. And the discernment is there.

I can't say I've been visited by God in vision or in dream. But I have felt His presence in prayer. I know some people say they can hear when God talks to them. I hope it's true when they say it happens. But it hasn't happened to me. At least not yet. Even if it doesn't though, I'm happy with what God has given me, and shared in my life.

I can't say I've been visited by God in vision or in dream. But I have felt His presence in prayer. I know some people say they can hear when God talks to them. I hope it's true when they say it happens. But it hasn't happened to me. At least not yet. Even if it doesn't though, I'm happy with what God has given me, and shared in my life.
A preacher was in the open meditating. He heard a voice that asked him to leave where he was immediately. He listened without arguing. The moment he left the tree under which he sought shelter fell.

I spend a lot of time in contemplations of Him, reasoning if you will, with God in Christ and the matters in my own life. I bring my lack of sights to Him, and request to see my way forward. No voices required in the Spirit. I have my thoughts balanced to His Perfection and move in His Peace, which can often be exceedingly difficult for me to do. I am "naturally" aggressive. The "world" has taught me this way, and I have to work quite hard to contain that "survival of the fittest" instinct of the flesh.

There is another instinct of the Spirit, that a stalk of wheat turn itself naturally to the light. This is how I see myself in contemplations of The Son.

I do NOT trust voices in my head whatsoever. If I need guidance, He has given me all I need in His Words.

The above being said, I have had a "few" encounters when I DID hear an internal audible VOICE directing my attentions to The Word.

One of these both my wife and I had, together, directing us to leave a particular church, which church blew up in scandal later with both the pastor and his wife having affairs with other church members. Neither of us knew the particulars behind the scenes, nor were we told. For me, it was a statement: "Ichabod has been written over the threshold of this assembly." I had no idea what that meant. It came right out of nowhere in a service. I looked toward the door when I heard it, it was that clear. I looked up the meaning of Ichabod, to see if it was in the Bible in my Strongs when I got home. (this was prior to online info.) The name was in the Bible, unbeknownst to me. I never picked that name up prior. It's meaning? "The Spirit has departed." My wife had, in the same service, even at the same time, a similar statement, "No one here is any better than any other." We put the two together and never went back. In fact we left the entire WoF assemblies altogether after that event. Time and leading proved that to be the right direction.

I have had countless times where I've been led to distressed people, to witness the peace of God in Christ to them. I can't even begin on this one. Also been led to help specific individuals. And I've received directions from other people of God in the Spirit of prophecy that were accurate, right on Words of encouragement. One of these was from a charismatic preacher/evangelist/missionary from India who didn't know us from Adam, who delineated the life my wife and I would have forward in Christ. It was amazing. And looking back at it, decades later, it still amazes me. He knew things about us that no one else could have known but God. They were intimate details that only she and I knew. The good details. The things of our hearts that we had agreed on and sought, together, and had envisioned. All that preacher said came to pass. But we already knew it as well. It was confirmation of contemplating various things in our lives, and where we sought to go forward, to build spiritually good things together, in Him.

I've also witnessed prophecy that destroyed other churches, almost overnight. There "were" some very powerful moves of God in Christ, both good and bad, in the charismatic realm. I learned very much that God in Christ is not some plaything or play/phony religious game. No.....! He is not to be "toyed" with or attempted to be manipulated. When that happens, bad things happen. I've seen it, and take the things of God in Christ extremely seriously.

There is very real Spiritual Power that is granted to ALL who are honest and transparent before our Heavenly Father with everything about themselves. He requires transparency with everything about us. And that is the most painful thing to go through. Very painful. God can show you some absolutely horrific things, to turn you and others, so firmly the other direction. IF you sit with sinners, which we all do, God, when He so chooses, will reveal the hearts of bondage to you. People will tell you things right out of nowhere that they perhaps should have never said. Seriously the "spirits" will cry out of them. It's exposure. It can be quite frightening, sometimes. But it's done for ministry of Christ, to the people in bondage to these things. This happens with both my wife and I quite often. There are so many people in this world who are just a mess of internal captivity.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back