Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How Far Back Can You Remember?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I have vague memories that go back to about being 3 years old. In one memory, I was left on my parents bed or in my crib the late afternoon or early evening. The sun was shining in the side window onto the inside of the front wall. A tree was outside the window and the shadows of its wind-blown leaves were dancing on the wall near me. I remember being visually in awe of this and then becoming afraid. Over stimulation I suppose for my little brain. I started to cry out loud.....end of memory.

I have vague memories that go back to about being 3 years old. In one memory, I was left on my parents bed or in my crib the late afternoon or early evening. The sun was shining in the side window onto the inside of the front wall. A tree was outside the window and the shadows of its wind-blown leaves were dancing on the wall near me. I remember being visually in awe of this and then becoming afraid. Over stimulation I suppose for my little brain. I started to cry out loud.....end of memory.

The first thing that I remember is locking our dog Emmy on the deck. It had a fence and a gate, so the poor dog couldn't get out! We were moving that day, and I remember pulling away from our old house asking my mom if we had remembered the swing in the backyard. Sadly, we hadn't. This was in early 2004.

The first thing that I remember is locking our dog Emmy on the deck. It had a fence and a gate, so the poor dog couldn't get out! We were moving that day, and I remember pulling away from our old house asking my mom if we had remembered the swing in the backyard. Sadly, we hadn't. This was in early 2004.
About how old were you?

I remember the first day I went to elementary school. I was five years old and met a girl friend who is still my friend today. That same year there was a very bad hurricane in Barbados. I don't remember much of the hurricane.

I don't have a problem of how far back I can remember.

I do though have a problem of how far forward I can remember. That's why my wife keeps the diary.

I have many memories, still vivid, starting about age 1 1/2, progressed to nearly full recall by age 3+.

I'd suggest everyone has all their memories intact, recorded in their subconscious mind, but the "active" brain has to suppress the information in order for us to function in the now.

If I want to remember a specific item, a name, a detail, if it's relevant to me and I WANT to remember, I think about what it is, then put the thought out of my active mind. The detail(s) will then come to me after my subconscious mind processes the information. It's like a passive search that runs in the background. After a time, maybe long, 2-3 days if it's further back, but usually within 30 min. to 2 hours, it will pop up in my active mind. BINGO.

Last edited:
I have many memories, still vivid, starting about age 1 1/2, progressed to nearly full recall by age 3+.
That is insane. Come on. Eighteen months? I'm not saying you're not being honest, just that the date stamp on those mental images is wrong.

That is insane. Come on. Eighteen months? I'm not saying you're not being honest, just that the date stamp on those mental images is wrong.
I have memories prior to that time but no age framework of reference.

I'd venture everyone does but since such memories are of little practical use they just get tucked away. Doesn't mean they aren't there. We just not used to trying to access them.

I have vivid memories of age 2 or younger, and numerous ones, not just a a few. I remember the floor plan of our old apartment with only one set of rooms reversed. I even remember crawling yet. I think how much a person can remember when they were younger depends on one's ability to make cognitive sense of everything around them. The more it makes sense (and perhaps strikes an emotional cord as well) the more one remembers even if they are yet babies. Most babies start talking at several months to over a year. My word for a fireman was bow-wo-me and for spider was bine-new. This would have been before age 2 I clearly remember that. I also told my parents many years later why I was afraid of certain furniture. I think to many parents that's a mystery they never, ever find out. I can go on and on.

For example, my mom potty trained me using a coffee can and newspaper on the floor. I have vivid memories of using both, even of words she said to encourage me to use them, having my diaper taken off and turned loose in the kitchen to do my biz. Her praises for getting it done, etc. We didn't have indoor plumbing or indoor running water. I was potty trained at 11 months using her methodologies but I don't recall being that age i.e. I can't link to age prior to 18 months.

I also have a very vivid memory of my mom washing me in the ditch before I could even walk. Evening. Dark. Full moon. Right side of driveway at the farm house area. Weeds and cat tails in the ditch, trees in the ditch further to the right. My mom carried me out there after she finished washing clothes in the shed next to the barn, which I also remember. Vivid as can be.

It was vivid I suspect because the water was cold and that may have contributed to the memory retention. A lot of times the external stimuli contributes to the memory being retained. I doubt I was much older than 7-8 months.

For example I have an exceptionally vivid memory of getting my fingers of my left hand slammed in a back car door before I was 2 years old. That one is permanently stuck in my head just as clear as a bell and just as clear and sure of a memory as I'm sitting here typing the memory. It was at one of my aunt and uncle's wedding, front of the church, my dad had put me in the back seat, riders side, I was standing on it and put my left hand on the door post to catch my balance just before he shut the door. My folks were talking outside the car with other relatives. I was screaming bloody murder because my fingers were shut in the door. I very vividly remember the pain shock when the door slammed shut. One of my uncles said "why is he crying" and then said "Oh my God, his fingers are shut in the door!" It seemed like an eternity to me, but it was probably just a few seconds. Yeah, I remember. I remember being glad they opened the door, and the throbbing pain in my fingers all the way home too. And I know I was less than 2 because of their wedding date. When I told my aunt many years later, as an adult, about the memory she said there is no way you could remember that. You weren't even 2 yet. The uncle who opened the door and was there when we were talking about it had forgotten about it, but recalled it when I recounted the details and confirmed it had indeed happened just like I said. I can still hear him in my mind, vividly, recognizing and exclaiming that the door was shut on my fingers. My dad didn't even recall it. My mom had a faint recollection of it. My memory of it however is and remains exceptionally VIVID. I'd liken it to being carved permanently into my mind.

I think it's good to remember far back, because I really think the reason a lot of people act the way they do is because they have the subconscious memory (implanted) of the event but they "don't remember" it thus leading to all sorts of habits and behaviors they can't explain and seemingly have little control over (in short they don't know why they do what they do). But in all fairness I guess if one remembers too much they can feel more traumatized in a sense and more sensitive to things around them (which is probably why they remembered to begin with). But later on in life they at least know why they have the feelings they do and can deal with them without going to a therapist to extract some memory or some other treatment of dependency.

I have memories prior to that time but no age framework of reference.

I'd venture everyone does but since such memories are of little practical use they just get tucked away. Doesn't mean they aren't there. We just not used to trying to access them.
That sounds like something a shrink tells a lady. Next thing you know, social workers are showing up at her parents door with police in tow. Like I said, I'm not saying you're lying. I do think it's not accurate.

Small church.. time for the Christmas play.. I dont remember my age but i know it from family history.. i was 2 about 3 week before the play...
Mom being the pastor wife was busy with last minute costumes I still see the peach colour could have had to do with lighting.. the play started and wise men came on stage... I don't remember that part i just know that is what was going on... what i do remember is the colour and screaming crawling under the old wooden benches in total fear... I see the wood coming up from the floor.. I have been told no one could quite me ( big surprise huh) Mom had to go around the building come in the front to calm me..

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back