Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How God Speaks

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Drew

How does God speak to us? A myriad of possiblities come to mind: through the Scriptures, through our thoughts, through an audible voice, through things that happen to us, through the words of other people, and on and on.

I have claimed that I do not believe that God generally speaks to people in the form either of an audible voice or though a "thought" whose origin can be clearly attributed to God and not to the actions of our own mind. Let me try to explain this last distinction. When I think about racing to beat a red light on my bike, I sometimes "experience" a thought, expressed explicitly, yet silently, in english words: "You better stop". Do I hear a voice?" No. Do I in some sense still "experience" the english phrase "You better stop"? Yes I do. I experience many of my thoughts in the form of english sentences. I generally think this way, although sometime diagrams are involved too.

Who is the source of this voice? Naturally enough, I assume it is me, although I could be wrong - God could be "inserting" this warning in my mind. However, I have never experienced any thoughts where it was somehow clear, by the nature of the experience of having the thought, that God was the originator. All my thoughts seem to me to "come from the same place" - which I assume to be "me".

First Question: How many of you have heard God speak in audible voice?

Second (harder) Question: How many of you will say that God has spoken to you through an "inner voice" that you knew, based on the nature of the experience, was not your own inner voice? And I am not talking about attributing one of your thoughts to God on the basis of faith. If you answer yes, can you explain in what way the experience of a "thought that God injects" is different from a the experience of a thought that arises from "little old you"?

God could speak to us in an audible voice because God can do anything. And to say that God could not speak is to say he is less than God. The very nature of God is to reveal himself to his people (Deut.29:29). HOWEVER, God has chosen not to speak to people audibly today, first, because he has said everything we need to know in the Word of God. Why should he say again what he has already said? If God did speak today, his message would be consistent with what h has already said. If people say that God has spoken to them in an audible message to do something contrary to scripture, I would rightly question whether they have heard from God (1 John 4:1 says to test a spirit).

I will give three examples of God speaking to me in his still small voice. This voice was not an audible voice, it was much louder. Hopefully I won't be casting pearls before swine!
  • Example 1.

I had been baptized as an infant and confirmed as a teenager. My understanding was that I was a Christian as I attended a Christian Church; however, I was bound for hell. I had had various times where folks had witnesses to me the love of Jesus Christ, and I knew there was truth in what they were saying, but I did not want to change my lifestyle as I was "enjoying life" just as it was. I did not want to begin living like a "perfect, moral person".

At 28 years old, I had heard of a Baptist "Revival" service in the small town of Colcord, Oklahoma. I had always heard of revivals but had never experienced one, so I went home and told my wife about the revival service that night. She agreed that it would be interesting, so we hopped in the truck and drove 30 miles to the church. On the way over to the service I told my wife that these Baptists would expect me to walk down front and do business with God before all the folks there; and that a thousand horses would not be able to drag me up front. I told her that a person can do business with God in the woods, in his own home, wherever; not just in a church.

I walked in with my cross ear-ring, full beard, long hair, flannel shirt, blue jeans, and a big dip of Skoal in my lower lip. I sat in the back pew and listened to the music and to the prayers and to the sermon. After the sermon the preacher asked all heads to be bowed and all eyes closed. He asked a few questions. One question was to those who did not know whether they were saved or not to please raise their hands for the preacher to pray for them. My eyes were closed and my head was bowed. I did not know whether I was saved or not and raised my hand so that the preacher would pray for me. I had a real sense of being humble and honest to myself. It felt like it was just me and God looking at my circumstance right there that night. I had my eyes closed and I had the deep felt impression that God was speaking to me. He was saying that I may never get the opportunity to hear and believe the Word of God in order to become saved. The still, small voice was very real and was speaking items that were foreign to me and my attitude. I humbled myself and become honest before God and myself. The preacher asked another question concerning believers who were not living in obedience to the Word of God. He asked for them to raise their hands if they requested prayer. After a few more questions and prayer, the preacher asked for all those "who were being honest to themselves before God" to come forward and learn how to become saved. I walked up front and confessed a belief that Jesus died for my sins, and that if I were to die that night, based on the Word of God I would go to heaven. That experience was almost 24 years ago.

Example 2:

After being saved for a couple of years my wife and I were having marital problems. She had gone to visit her parents for two weeks and I was home alone going to work. I had backslidden in a couple of areas and was a believer that one could lose their salvation. I quit chewing tobacco again, and began reading the Bible and praying again. I started reading the Bible in Genesis 1:1 and had full direction in my mind to read the entire Bible all of the way through. I read in the morning, I read at work at noon, and I read in the evening. I was still concerned about my salvation as the Hebrews 6 Scripture that said if one has tasted the Word of God, and partakers of the Holy Spirit should they fall away there was no further way to repent as they crucify the son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. [list:2230a]
    4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. Hebrews 6:4-6
At work I had reached the portion of Scripture where God led the Israelites by a pillar of fire by night and a pillar of cloud by day. On the way home I saw a water tower in the distance that appeared as a pillar of cloud since the weather was overcast. I drove toward the cylinder shaped water tower as I prayed concerning my salvation. When I drove to the water tower I continued a little further to a parking area in a state park that was right there. A road circled this hill and I walked around the hill on the paved road praying to God concerning my salvation which I thought that I had lost. After I had walked 3/4 of the way around the hill I spotted a path going up the side of the hill through brush and high grass. I turned to walk up the path when I became deathly afraid that there may be snakes in the brush and grass. I stopped until I had reasoned that I was not a person afraid of snakes. I had handled snakes and had hiked through areas infested with rattle snakes and had never been afraid. I determined that the ole devil had placed that fear in my heart, so I made an audible comment that if there are snakes and I do get bit, then I would die and then know the truth for sure!!!

I walked up the hill, and when I had reached the top, there was a clearing where someone had laid out on the ground numerous large rocks in the shape of a 15 foot cross! I was amazed and a still, small voice spoke to me and said that all of my sins, past, present, and future had been paid at the cross. I immediately started to weep and I dropped to my knees and began giving thanks for God's grace, mercy, forgiveness and truth. I now know that a believer is eternally secure in Christ Jesus.

Example 3:

Just prior to the three year anniversary of my eldest son's tragic death in an automobile accident on his way to work after high school, I had been arguing with God over the following Scripture:

• 1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) 3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. Ephesians 6:1-3
My son, Zachariah, was the most obedient child that I had ever seen in my family and outside of my family. Of all five of my sons, Zachariah was the most obedient, and he honored his mother and me more than could ever be asked. He was the "perfect" son. I argued with God for a couple of weeks concerning this Scripture, and that if I could not believe Him in reference to this Scripture, how could I believe Him in any other Scriptures. I was getting ready to speak at Zachariah's graveside for the three year memorial service, and I did not have a thing to speak on. I was really wrestling with God over Zachariah's death when God promised that those who honored their father and mother would live long on the earth. One afternoon God spoke to me in His still, small voice telling me to read Revelation 21:

• 1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. 6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. 7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. Revelation 21:1-7
God showed me that those that honor their fathers and mothers will live a long, long time in the new earth with God Almighty where no more tears, no more death, no more sorrow, no more crying, and no more pain will exist, and that Zachariah was one of his sons!!! That was my sermon on the third anniversary of Zachariah's passing from this earth.[/list:u:2230a]My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:27

Hello sisterchristian:

I appreciate what you have posted, but can you answer the questions in respect to your personal experience (there are 2 questions at the end of the OP).

Drew said:
Hello sisterchristian:

I appreciate what you have posted, but can you answer the questions in respect to your personal experience (there are 2 questions at the end of the OP).
I hear God speak many times, Through his word and within my spirit, or maybe through someone else. Never in a audible voice.

I've had God speak to me in many ways, audible (through the voice of my conscience), through His word, through other people and through action.

By action I mean... one day, I was at the train station and realized I left my money home. I should have panicked, but for some reason, I looked down and there was $16.00 on the side walk. There was absoluty no one around... so where did this money come from? Amazingly enough, it was exactly enough for a round trip ticket and lunch!

:angel:

vic C. said:
I've had God speak to me in many ways, audible (through the voice of my conscience), through His word, through other people and through action.

By action I mean... one day, I was at the train station and realized I left my money home. I should have panicked, but for some reason, I looked down and there was $16.00 on the side walk. There was absoluty no one around... so where did this money come from? Amazingly enough, it was exactly enough for a round trip ticket and lunch!

So it appears that, like me, you have never heard God speak in an actual audible voice (I mean real sound) nor via an "inner voice" that was clearly identifiable as the voice of an "other". I would understand the "voice of your conscience" to be "your" inner voice. It is obviously possible to believe that your voice has been "prompted" by God. But there is a huge difference between what I think you are saying and what some others say - that God directly speaks to them without the mediating influence of their own "inner voice". This distinction is critical with respect to the intent of this thread.

Is the "voice of your conscience" really yours anyway?
There was a thread whose topic was something like, "Is God telepathic" or something on those lines. In that thread the consesus was that since we are one with Christ, His spirit dwelling in us, which by the way is completely biblical, that God does not need telepathy since indeed He is already within us.

We can note that in the Old Testament God spoke literally to the prophets but after the Holy Spirit was given to the people after Christ's resurection the need for a "spokesman" to the people became somewhat unnecessary. John 17 demonstrates the relationship we have with Christ and the Father... we are one.

Hebrews 1:1 God who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hebrews 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

John 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
John 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
John 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me

If then He is in us and we in Him then again, whose "inner voice" is it? After all, haven't we as believers surrendered our lives to Him in that our being is no longer ours? And we are to become less of ourselves and more of Him as we mature in Christ to which end we will become one for eternity.

Is the "voice of your conscience" really yours anyway?
We want to believe so, but who gave us the breath of life? Who gave us a soul but who, or what in this world wants to control our "soul"? I'll give you all a hint using these lyrics:

"There Is A Reason"

I've seen hard times and I've been told
There isn't any wonder that I fall
Why do we suffer, crossing off the years
There must be a reason for it all

I've trusted in You, Jesus, to save me from my sin
Heaven is the place I call my home
But I keep on getting caught up in this world I'm living in
And Your voice it sometimes fades before I know

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, crying with my need
Depending on Your love to carry me
The love that shed His blood for all the world to see
This must be the reason for it all

Hurtin' brings my heart to You, a fortress in the storm
When what I wrap my heart around is gone
I give my heart so easily to the ruler of this world
When the one who loves me most will give me all

In all the things that cause me pain You give me eyes to see
I do believe but help my unbelief
I've seen hard times and I've been told
There is a reason for it all

(ALison Kruass and Union Station)

vic C. said:

That sounds like God! When I was first saved God spoke to me audibly by telling me a certain thing I was doing was sin. One day a soft voice wispered in my ear and said "no, don't do that"
I was startled but not afraid, and you can bet I obeyed. Thats the first and last I heard Him audibly though the Holy Spirit has interjected thoughts into my mind that I knew were God communicating with me.
Then theres the things like what Vic described .... God knows how to get in touch with His people; It's such a small thing for Him to do yet so edifying for us!

destiny said:
God knows how to get in touch with His people; It's such a small thing for Him to do yet so edifying for us!
Edited for hostile comments against Christianity

A formal warning is issued to Quath for the violation of the Terms of Service in his putting down of the basic tenets of Christianity, and for the promotion of his beliefs of atheism.

1 - This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act. Statement of Faith

3 - No active promotion of other Faiths is allowed:

You will not post any messages; links, images or photos that promote a religion or belief other than Biblical and historical Christianity (atheism is considered a "belief" for the purposes of this rule). Discussing these doctrines are fine, as long as the beliefs are not actively promoted. This includes Universal Reconcilation and Univesal Salvation This is a Christian Forum as the name suggests.

Any further violations will result in a suspension and/or banning by the administration. Please abide by the Terms of Service provided in the General Formum area,

Thank you,
Solo

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back