Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How hard is it for the rich to go to heaven?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
C

ChristianPF

Luke 18:25

“For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.â€Â

Ah, you know the verse. It’s the one that people love to quote when they are trying to prove that Christians should be poor because it appears to be more righteous. Well, is it really?

Let’s look at the definition of “rich,†and see who qualifies.

According to Webster’s Dictionary:

Rich = having abundant possessions and especially material wealth

Why doesn’t it tell me how much money I need to have to actually be rich?

In fact, I looked the definition up in 7 different dictionaries and not one gives a specific definition of rich. None of them offer a specific annual income to indicate if you are rich or not… Hmmm… so how can we know who is rich and who isn’t? Where is the line drawn?

Is it the top 10% wealthiest people? The top 5% or 1%?

Well, if you make $25,000 per year you are richer than 90% of the world. If you make $34,000 per year you are in the top 5%. And if you make $50,000 you are in the top 1% of the richest people in the world.

So, how do you define rich? Are you wealthier than you realized?

The verse can really strike fear into the hearts of people causing them to run from money. But the truth is that money isn’t the issue. It is a matter of the heart. If we understand that the money isn’t ours, but that it is actually God’s and we are merely stewards of it, then it will be easier to not depend on it. Someone who realizes that he/she is a steward cannot be rich, because they know it isn’t their money.

Won’t I be safe if I never have a lot of money?

Many people have taken this verse to think that by not having much you are safe. By laying back and not really working hard you can rest assured that you will never have much money come into your hands, so therefore you can’t be rich like the verse mentions.

Personally, I think Jesus addressed this in the Parable of the talents. The steward to whom he gave one talent did nothing with it except bury it. The master called him a wicked and lazy. To me that rules out the possibility that just being lazy and not earning money will make you righteous.

So what should we do?

Stop serving money. The Bible says you cannot serve God and money (Matt 6:24). You have to pick. We will either make decisions based on our walk with God or based on how they will affect us financially. Should you take that job? “Of course, it pays more,†is not the correct response. Our decisions should not be made solely on their impact on our wallets.

Be content. It doesn’t matter whether we have a lot or a little. We are called to be content with what we have. The apostle Paul talked about how he learned how to be content whether he was in a dungeon or living in the king’s palace. He understood contentment.

Don’t be afraid of money. It is the LOVE of money that is the root of all evil. Not money itself. If that were the case, then nothing good could come out of it. But everyday God’s purposes and plans are coming to pass via the use of money.

Give. Giving is a tangible way to break any attachment to money. If you don’t want to give, that is probably a good indication that you need to give.

hi dear i like the way that you are adopted to enforce all those who are visiting on this blog but dear friend it is not much easier for every one. may God give us enogh strenth to obey his all Orders
ChristianPF said:
Luke 18:25

“For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.â€Â

Ah, you know the verse. It’s the one that people love to quote when they are trying to prove that Christians should be poor because it appears to be more righteous. Well, is it really?

Let’s look at the definition of “rich,†and see who qualifies.

According to Webster’s Dictionary:

Rich = having abundant possessions and especially material wealth

Why doesn’t it tell me how much money I need to have to actually be rich?

In fact, I looked the definition up in 7 different dictionaries and not one gives a specific definition of rich. None of them offer a specific annual income to indicate if you are rich or not… Hmmm… so how can we know who is rich and who isn’t? Where is the line drawn?

Is it the top 10% wealthiest people? The top 5% or 1%?

Well, if you make $25,000 per year you are richer than 90% of the world. If you make $34,000 per year you are in the top 5%. And if you make $50,000 you are in the top 1% of the richest people in the world.

So, how do you define rich? Are you wealthier than you realized?

The verse can really strike fear into the hearts of people causing them to run from money. But the truth is that money isn’t the issue. It is a matter of the heart. If we understand that the money isn’t ours, but that it is actually God’s and we are merely stewards of it, then it will be easier to not depend on it. Someone who realizes that he/she is a steward cannot be rich, because they know it isn’t their money.

Won’t I be safe if I never have a lot of money?

Many people have taken this verse to think that by not having much you are safe. By laying back and not really working hard you can rest assured that you will never have much money come into your hands, so therefore you can’t be rich like the verse mentions.

Personally, I think Jesus addressed this in the Parable of the talents. The steward to whom he gave one talent did nothing with it except bury it. The master called him a wicked and lazy. To me that rules out the possibility that just being lazy and not earning money will make you righteous.

So what should we do?

Stop serving money. The Bible says you cannot serve God and money (Matt 6:24). You have to pick. We will either make decisions based on our walk with God or based on how they will affect us financially. Should you take that job? “Of course, it pays more,†is not the correct response. Our decisions should not be made solely on their impact on our wallets.

Be content. It doesn’t matter whether we have a lot or a little. We are called to be content with what we have. The apostle Paul talked about how he learned how to be content whether he was in a dungeon or living in the king’s palace. He understood contentment.

Don’t be afraid of money. It is the LOVE of money that is the root of all evil. Not money itself. If that were the case, then nothing good could come out of it. But everyday God’s purposes and plans are coming to pass via the use of money.

Give. Giving is a tangible way to break any attachment to money. If you don’t want to give, that is probably a good indication that you need to give.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back