Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How long does your prayer last?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

I'm I weak and guilty? My prayers don't last long. Some fast and pray for hours. Some pray a particular prayer point in about 20 to 40 minutes. I can summarise 10 prayer points under 5minutes. Is it wrong? I have been like this ever since I was born. (It is embarrasing, at time to people, when I'm asked to pray and I finish it under 2minutes)

How long should we pray

IMO...

if I'm ready to eat and your 15 minutes into a prayer I'm going to start either a) kicking you or b) finish your prayer

In all seriousness

I think of it as its your time with his all depends in situation and timing. If you have the availability great! If not you can make it short. It's all about what your intentions are. You could be driving and praying, no limit in my eyes.

Remember when Jesus taught the disciples how to pray the Lord's Prayer? That's not exactly long.

It's all about the heart and quality, not quantity. :yes

Usually they are a short thing and more like a a chat as think of things through the day.

Sometimes when I feel like it i do something like meditation that involves long times of thinking about god and praying. they can go for an hour or so. I find there is a bettter chance of hearing god in quiet solo times. Besides its relaxing. It is usually at night in bed before sleep. I get some interesting results with that that makes it fun to do.

i dont have any prayer plans formally its more a spontaneous thing.

I pray when I wake up, I pray for the day. I pray when I go to bed, pray for the day had and pray for the next day. During the day it's more spontaneous and like a chat.

I'm I weak and guilty? My prayers don't last long. Some fast and pray for hours. Some pray a particular prayer point in about 20 to 40 minutes. I can summarise 10 prayer points under 5minutes. Is it wrong? I have been like this ever since I was born. (It is embarrasing, at time to people, when I'm asked to pray and I finish it under 2minutes)

How long should we pray

• Prayer is not a petition list or a wishlist to God.
  • Our God is not deaf for anyone to repeat something.
  • Our God is not forgetful for anyone to remind Him either.
  • Neither He is sleeping for anyone to wake Him up.

The problem I have is, I find it hard to lead in prayers because I end up summarising many points just under few minutes. And when I end up making short prayers people kind of get embarrassed.

-
I have tried to improve on this but it seems it's to stupidly repeat what I've said before. It bores me.

The problem I have is, I find it hard to lead in prayers because I end up summarising many points just under few minutes. And when I end up making short prayers people kind of get embarrassed.

-
I have tried to improve on this but it seems it's to stupidly repeat what I've said before. It bores me.

I believe prayer is speaking to God and not about how others feel about you talking to God.

I tend to pray in a bit of an unorthodox fashion. My first step is to sit with a pencil and paper and write down exactly what I want to say. This helps me focus my mind and reveal to myself exactly what I'm looking for. Only after I'm completely satisfied with what I've written will I say a silent internal prayer. I actually very rarely vocalize my prayers. Even with this whole process a prayer rarely takes more than 10 or 15 minutes. Of course there are also the multitude of silent meditations during the day ranging from one to ten minutes apiece. I see no need for long winded nagging of God.

I suppose it all depends on the nature of the prayer. Talk to Jesus like he's your friend (or spouse). How long would you talk to your friend about a problem you were having, something you wanted, or how thankful you were about something.

Someone brought up the prayer the Lord gave to the disciples... He was right... It wasn't that long. That prayer is found in matthew 6. IT's a great chapter to read to learn to pray. It gives some straight out do's and don't to praying.

IMO prayers are about content not length. The best prayers come from the heart and are heard when your heart and mind are clear so that you may freely receive the grace and love of God.

I'm doing a patterns of prayer course for lent so I'll let you know what I find make my prayer life better.

M't:6:5: And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
M't:6:6: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
M't:6:7: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
M't:6:8: Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. KJV

-

I think that you are young and it's okay if you "pray fast", but what you seem to be saying is that your prayers to God are a monologue.

Have you ever tried to sit still for 5 minutes in the presence of God when you are praying? Try it, you won't last a minute. Our modern minds cannot stand sitting quietly. But, if you want your relationship with the Lord to become more intimate, then you need to learn to allow your prayers to become dialogues. That means, you gotta allow the Lord to speak back to you, because He certainly wants to it.

I prayed today and the feeling of it goes along with me throught the day. I feel Jesus is interceding with me when i pray. It's just that we should always allow the Holy Spirit to dwell always in the center of our hearts in order for us to be reminded that our sins has been forgiven and we will no longer be condemned resting assured that whatever we ask from our Father in heaven is already adressed and heared. Glory belongs to God.

Yeah, I had an argument at home today and I took my dog, iPod, and started walking to the beach. Just me and my worship music. Was great! Was in prayer the whole way.

yup coz music facilitate our emotions, so when we think that it's hard to pray or we can't pray that is just a lie from the enemy. Praising God by worship songs would delight Him , and for sure He knows already what we would pray it's just that also we should ask Him to give us the strategy how to approach His throne of grace.

How long should we pray

I understand what you're saying, Classik. There are times, when asked to lead others in prayer, I pray what I'm moved to pray, without adding in all the superfluous words that others tend to use to lengthen the prayer time. God knows your heart, and he knows your words. He isn't going to be offended if you're able to say in 2 minutes what it takes someone else to say in 20.

We each have our own prayer style, just as we each have our own talk style.

And if someone acts as though embarrassed because you don't run away with time while praying, that is an issue that person must contend. It's not your issue. Don't accept any self-doubts about the prayer time. Merely rejoice that you have a voice with which to pray, a mind with which to consider your prayers, and a heart that belongs to God.

:wave

Thanks, people. I feel special:) (Just that I feel embarrassed at times when my little cousine - this tiny rat, prays for a century without having to pause:shocked)
--
:lol

How long should we pray

We should be listening for the Lord all day, every day.

I think that you are young and it's okay if you "pray fast", but what you seem to be saying is that your prayers to God are a monologue.

Have you ever tried to sit still for 5 minutes in the presence of God when you are praying? Try it, you won't last a minute. Our modern minds cannot stand sitting quietly. But, if you want your relationship with the Lord to become more intimate, then you need to learn to allow your prayers to become dialogues. That means, you gotta allow the Lord to speak back to you, because He certainly wants to it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back