Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How long should someone Date a person before marraige.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
if there should be a such time frame.

I have been with my boyfriend since march so roughly 4 months, we do live together ( not something either of us boast about) but both of our lives were falling apart at the time & it just made sense for us to live together to provide a somewhat stable home. We have discussed marriage its something we talk about quite often. Right now we really arent financially sound enough to become engaged let alone get married. I dont want this "shacking up" situation to prolong very long because its not something pleasing to myself, him, or our families let alone God. Just wondering what a good time frame might be out of curiosity & us wanting to do the right thing.

Thanks .

Now.

Run down to the court house and have a civil marriage... it's legal, very inexpensive and it honors God. What you're doing now doesn't honor God at all.

If it makes sense that you live together, then it makes sense to get married. Forgo a wedding and it will save you a lot of money. Having a wedding and getting married are two very different things.

I've never understood the mentality that says "we can't afford to get married so we're living together for now."

Perhaps you can explain this to me?

If there is truly a compelling reason why you cannot run down and get a marriage license filled out, signed and registered with the court (legal marriage), then move back in with your family, if you can't live on your own. Just don't continue to live with your boyfriend... that's out and out defiance of God's commandments, otherwise known as sin.

I'm so in agreement with everyone: get married now.

In a year...or 5, depending.... you can have a vow renewal-type church service, complete with dress-up and reception. I've known several couples who went this route after a civil ceremony, and these were beautiful services.

In the meanwhile.... by having a civil service, you will be married and honouring God's word.

Peace!

In fact, it's more than just our personal opinions; it's what Hebrews 13.4 says.

God blesses marriage.

I think it depends on God and what is right for you. I would have married my ex if he asked me but I haven't seen him since Christmas. We were childhood sweethearts and playmates since we were 5, so that'd be like 15 yrs. lol.

Actually I'd like to know how long you all think people should date before they get married too. I've been with my boyfriend for almost 4 months and it's been a blast. I knew him for 2 years before that so I know him pretty well and so far we're very compatible. My parents dated for 3 months before my dad proposed and they've been married for 23 years. How long do you think should people wait until they get engaged? If my boyfriend and I do get married, it wouldn't be until 2014 anyway.

Regardless of circumstances, the best time to get married is when God has made that direction clear. My wife and I dated for 6 months before we got engaged and then married 8 months after that. I know plenty of college buddies who did things quicker than myself, as well.

Christians who are mature enough to marry, should be mature enough to know how and when God is leading them to that step in life.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back